Calyx OS or iodé

Hello,
I’ve got a new Fairphone 4 and would like to use a de-googled OS.

So I’ve seen that despite of /e/ there is Calyx and iodé.

So, I’m not sure what to install.

Has somebody already tried both systems and can tell me what the advantages and disadvantages of each system are?

Or can someone compare these systems?

For me an important point is, that OTA is possible.
I don’t want to take whole weekends to update my phone because something was changed that cannot be published over OTA.
And I don’t want to brick it.

Thanks for your help.

I can’t help you as I only used CalyxOS so far, but I am prepared for a nice weekend with a lot of popcorn.

But in general I think it depends on your preferences: CalyxOS has the advantange that it is all about OpenSource while iodé has closed source parts (which are a selling point) with their built-in adblocker.

Calyx works completely transparently on github/gitlab and they provide changelogs, iodé does not.
Iodé is (as far as I know) based on LineageOS, Calyx on AOSP. CalyxOS works with OTA, but as far as I know iodé does so, too.
There are a lot of differences, and they arise from the different philosophy. I think you would have to clarify for yourself which points are important to you.

About bricking: actually it should not happen anymore, but occasionally reports appear in the CalyxOS channel. Especially, if I see it correctly, with a return to Fairphone’s stock ROM.

3 Likes

If you really want to play safe then make sure to only relock the bootloader when OEM unlock is enabled.

1 Like

Take iode, its the defacto better choice

Well, well, well, still might depend on who gives advice… :innocent:

7 Likes

Ok, but why is it defacto the better choice?

For me, both, Calyx and iodé have a lot in common:

• focus on privacy and security
  • de-googled
  • F-Droid and Aurora-Store
  • OTA

Of course, both systems have differences. But for me the concept of both is quite the same.
Maybe the OpenSource concept and the code base are the biggest differences.

1 Like

It really depends on your personal priorities. Apart from the points already mentioned:

As far as I know, CalyxOS only supports the devices as long as there are updates for kernel and firmware. This means that the FP4 is expected to be supported until September 2023, as the 750G chip will receive updates until around then. (The 4.19 kernel will receive updates until December 2024.) But others know much better than I do. Does Calyx really implement this so strictly?

IodéOS, on the other hand, tries to support the devices as long as possible, regardless of kernel and firmware. So there are still Android updates and also upgrades. They have 5 year old devices in the selection that are still getting updates. With the FP4, I expect it to be supported for a very, very long time because there is also a very dedicated LineageOS community for Fairphone and this is the basis of iodé.
The iodé blocker, which is deeply integrated into the system, is a unique selling point among custom ROMs. You don’t need to install a firewall or an adblocker, but can get started straight away. Another advantage is that the iodé blocker works without a VPN.
Iodé has smart charging built in. This means that you can set an individual charging limit of, for example, 70 or 80%.
Except for the iodé-blocker, all apps including microG can be uninstalled or reinstalled at any time.
You can also get a good overview with the technical documentation on iodéOS.

6 Likes

Hello together,

thanks a lot for your help. This really helped me.

I think I’ll give iodé a try. It really sounds good to me and in the discussion some points were mentioned which made the decision easier.

2 Likes

Hey,
when you compare iodé with /e/, would you choose iodé?
I think /e/ implements privacy features very well, but don’t know if the system differ in security?

All the best!
JC

1 Like

You have to decide that for yourself. Everybody sees it differently.
Here @juri.gagarin.ii had written something about /e/:

Regarding the stability writes iodéOS:

To keep the stability and security level of LineageOS, by minimizing the modifications made to the system. Apart the system modifications required by the adblocker, we mainly only added a few useful options commonly found in other custom ROMs, made some cosmetic changes, modified a few default settings to prevent data leaks to Google servers.

The recommended blog series that @juri.gagarin.ii mentions was implemented in large parts by iodéOS.

But there are also many satisfied users of /e/. There is a cloud solution integrated.

3 Likes

I was waiting for a stable release of CalyxOS for Fairphone 4. I saw that they are focusing on the Android 13 release, and perhaps that was going to delay even more the release.

Opted for iodé because the clear instructions and I am delighted, still have a Pixel with CalyxOS on test and really there is only the dialer I find interesting. The privacy blocker from iodé is very cool and useful. Using exodus as well. I have also at home DNS blocking but is cool to have and see per app on iodé. Uninstalled quite a few apps that noticed draining battery and calling home all the time.

Plus I was able to relock the bootloader (this was critical to me) with the very clear instructions.

2 Likes

Hey guys, I have purchased a FP4 which will arrive soon. If everything goes well, I’ll switch away from Xiaomi phones after 8 years. I am planning to use a custom ROM, but nor sure if Calyx or Iode.
Someone tested both and give some suggestions?
Many thanks!

Hi and welcome to the community forum, gr0ndpa.

I’ve moved your question to this existing topic about Calyx or Iode.

2 Likes

OK, thx. Will check there!!!

There is here by the way :slight_smile:

One of the main difference is that iodéOS is based on Lineage19 which is itself based on Android 12, while CalyxOS is based on Android 13 which was released in August 2022. You can surely try both and report your experience here!

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.