šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§ Interesting links / news articles somehow related to Fairphone

Android Mobile OS Snooping By Samsung, Xiaomi, Huawei and Realme Handsets (PDF)

Pretty much a Pro version of the current Pinephone just with more horsepower.

I like the DIP switches (being killswitches) on the back. Theyā€™re also busy with hardware keyboard for the device. And it runs a lot of OSes.

But it isnā€™t modular or fair electronics. Not sure if schematics are available.

4 Likes

@ElKrasso seems that you are famous nowā€¦

9 Likes

To help people filling this topic, I would like to mention my work on Meta-Press.es (a Firefox addons to search the press) which can fetch 343 results for ā€œfairphoneā€ in 28.3 s from 75 source(s) over 228 selected (from 55 countries and 23 languages).
Meta-Press.es also work from Android by the way.

2 Likes

Please post French links/videos in the French thread instead: šŸ‡«šŸ‡· Articles intĆ©ressants / liens vers Fairphone et des produits Ć©lectroniques plus justes (I didnā€™t move your post as it contains videos in two languages.)

2 Likes

Study: Recycled Lithium Batteries as Good as Newly Mined Cathodes made with novel direct-recycling beat commercial materials.

I have downloaded the paper, and it even explains that their recycled cathode particles perform better than the original due to being more porous and less prone to fracture. The exact process however is not exactly described, instead the researchers cite some previous papers which are partially also written by them. I havenā€™t been able to look at those yet.

Note: the paper is about NMC111 cathodes (equal amounts of nickel, manganese and cobalt.) I suspect Fairphoneā€™s batteries use some kind of NMC material but Iā€™m not sure whether this is NMC111 or another mixture.

3 Likes

Its an OS for a minimalist e-ink smartphone

ā€œThe Domyos Woodbike has been designed with the inside of your home in mind to pair style with sport. The stable wood frame made in France makes this the most eco-designed product possible.ā€ Well they would say thatā€¦
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/stylish-eco-friendly-exercise-bike-woodbike/_/R-p-340772?mc=8759000

I think itā€™s very cool that Linus has kept this video on his channelā€™s front page for over a month now

11 Likes
10 Likes

Here are some numbers of active devices per Android version (Google used to publish those themselves in the past).

But I have to admit that I donā€™t like the use of ā€œridiculouslyā€ old. A12 isnā€™t even on that list yet which makes A10 the second-to-last. Sure, itā€™s the oldest version to still receive patches. But Iā€™d prefer news outlets to use less extreme vocabulary, even if itā€™s true that there are too many devices with outdated (as in ā€œnot patched anymoreā€) versions out there.

8 Likes

Two months!
grafik

5 Likes

Thatā€™s a long time to keep a video pinned. :smiley:

2 Likes

Wiredā€™s review: ā€œRebel, crafted from bamboo, natural wood fibre composite and recycled plastics, marks the latest earbud offering from eco-conscious audiophiles House of Marley. Its battery life is nothing to shout about and certainly canā€™t compete with the big players, but what it lacks technically it more than makes up for in its ethics and price point.ā€

3 Likes

This is an article about mainline linux kernel support for the Shiftphone 6mq

5 Likes

I know this is not about mobile phones
"OLD LAPTOP IN THE DUMPSTERā€”HEREā€™S WHAT TO DO INSTEAD

Help cut down on electronic waste by recycling or donating your old laptop"

2 Likes

Almost ashamed to post myself like this :blush: but @Ingo is also mentioned.

11 Likes

Published only 9 hours ago, where has this reporter been the last few years, hiding under a pile or disused phones? :rofl:

By Francesca Schweiger
Business reporter, Berlin

Published

9 hours ago

1 Like

I think the author got one thing wrong, though. The article lists the four principles of Fairphone as ā€œsourcing raw materials from non-conflict mining areas, and making products that are recyclable, long-lasting and repairableā€.
IIRC correctly, long-lasting and repairable are one principle in Fairphone communications, and the fourth is ā€œworker welfareā€, right?

Edit: the words on Our Impact - Fairphone are a bit different but ā€œworker welfare/good working conditionsā€ is missing Iā€™d say.

9 Likes