šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§ Interesting links / news articles somehow related to Fairphone

Ok, so thereā€™s gonna be a ā€œgreenā€ smartphone by Samsung in 2022ā€¦
I hope everyone remembers who got there first :wink:

Deutsche Telekom and Samsung are entering into a strategic partnership for sustainability. In this way, the two companies want to bring the topic in the telco industry out of the niche and into the mass market.

The core of the collaboration is the development of a green smartphone suitable for the mass market. It will support 5G technology and be designed to be sustainable. This includes easy repair and a removable battery. The smartphone is planned for the end of 2022.

9 Likes

Itā€™s just strange, that a thing like a removable battery - that has been (and still is) standard for decades in all kinds of electronical devices, suddenly becomes something to announce, like itā€™s a new development.
smh

And nothing about social aspects like child labor and minimum wages. Just the ecological aspect.

Edit:
The telekom-article is linking to another one regarding a new initiative: ā€œEcoratingā€

And hereā€™s the homepage of this ecorating project for smartphones:

Fairphone - so far - does not participate. They state, that - so far - around 80 devices have been rated. But there is no list of those devices (at least none, that I found).
So, maybe, itā€™s up to the manufacturers to decide if they want to advertise their phones with the rating. :wink:

Edit 2:
The German Telekom shop offers just one phone with an ecorating 73/100; the Oppo Find X3 Neo 5G.

6 Likes

Deutsche Telekom also announced a deeper cooperation with Fairphone:

https://www.telekom.com/en/media/media-information/archive/telekom-and-fairphone-expand-cooperation-630604

7 Likes

This article is in German
https://www.golem.de/news/green-it-fairphone-macht-wieder-gewinn-2106-157737.html
but it essentially just covers the numbers released from fairphone here

1 Like

What I remember is the workers that got cancer in Samsung factories: NOTICIAS SAMSUNG Samsung se disculpa por el cƔncer entre sus trabajadores y paga indemnizaciones
And the toxic culture in the company: The exploding Note 7 is no surprise ā€“ leaked Samsung doc highlights toxic internal culture ā€¢ The Register
But maybe they are changingā€¦ or maybe it is just green washing.

3 Likes

Because Apple and Samsung innovated the non-removable battery (which is still removable, just takes effort), as well as small-size, and waterproof IP ratings which meddle with the concept of a user replaceable battery.

4 Likes

Well itā€™s a good job Fairphone have the edge on Fair trade as there are other modular phones.

I emailed that address and I didnā€™t get a reply.

5 Likes

Fairphone made it to Linus Tech Tips:

11 Likes

They even give credits to the forum:

grafik

8 Likes

Android 12 got released, and AOSP based on it.

It cripples the adb backup command!

LineageOS seedvault should (?) still work but its not the default OS for Fairphoneā€™s devices.

4 Likes

adb backup is sporting a ā€œdeprecatedā€ label for a while already and it isnā€™t exactly a pillar of reliability. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes
5 Likes

Looks like the king of RTR in the United States has finally sunk his teeth into Fairphone. I believe this is one step closer in getting this amazing phone to the United States.

5 Likes

RTR? What does that mean?

Right to repair, I think

7 Likes

Sorry! We Americans love our abbreviations! Lolā€¦ RTR = right to repair

6 Likes
2 Likes