🇬🇧 Interesting links / news articles somehow related to Fairphone

:fr: (conclusion in English below)

Their conclusion:
"The Fairphone 3+ is a product that leaves you a little confused. Sold for € 469, compared to € 419 for the Fairphone 3, it only brings a slight evolution here. Above all, this evolution is not felt - or very little - in use, and does not seem to justify the choice of the new model, except to hope for a longer software follow-up from the manufacturer. Those who would be tempted to purchase the new photo module separately can also save the expense as its photos are similar to those of the previous version. It is therefore difficult to understand the strategy of the manufacturer, especially as this 3+ does not replace the old version, still on the market. "

2 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, the higher amount of recycled material is not even mentioned …

2 Likes

Yeah, they should cart the already produced Fairphone 3s from the shelf right to the landfill instead of selling them, just to not confuse reviewers. You really have to wonder sometimes …

8 Likes

…Neither is the fair materials anymore (nor the pure Android 10 version, and good enough performances), compared with their review of the FP3.

EDIT: I’ve added my own review of it on their site to add the fair specs.

5 Likes

But their point is there is almost no difference in terms of photo tech specs and quality.

The repairability score of the new iPhone 12 isn’t that bad (6 out of 10), but it looks like you can’t simply swap the camera between devices.

4 Likes

OneDevice is noticeable initiative to create a compact 4,7" phone without “no-thumb zone” (and with good illustrations of the phenomenon), featuring a dual-screen (LCD and e-ink) and a pop-up camera module.

It’s a good follow-up of my : Advocating a FP2 mini

4 Likes

Really cool.
Just one point:
I am not sure, that the camera design will be acknowledged by a majority.
Having to “slide” it out for every picture will not go well with those taking lots of pictures.
Since, when it’s out, it is quite vulnerable, leaving it out is no option.
And I wonder, how stable this camera design is, mechanically I mean; how many “sliding”-outs and turnings does it stand before something fails.

Otherwise very, very cool. Make it fair or at least let them take a few steps in the right direction, like fair wages, joining the fair cobalt alliance, and they could help changing the market together with Fairphone (and ShiftPhone).

1 Like

The Fairphone is mentioned in the final third of this podcast (and given the thumbs-up!):

5 Likes

Shameless self-promotion :smiley:

10 Likes

Well deserved!

But this link after the article:

Regain your privacy!..

No can do, after this interview.
:wink:

The FP3+ has made it so Time Magazine’s “The 100 Best Inventions of 2020” list in the category “Social Good” :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Not exactly about Fairphone: The first CO2 neutral airfreight

1 Like

Right to repair is going to get more attention and average consumer can use the rating as a factor when comparing products.

6 Likes

Getting longer software updates might become easier in the future

7 Likes

https://www.stuff.tv/features/eco-boost-tech-help-save-planet (Stuff)

The Fairphone 3 is also mentioned in the November issue of Enki magazine, but I can’t find a link for that.

1 Like

The Guardian is changing their ratings for consumer electronics to mark down products that don’t meet minimum sustainability criteria.

6 Likes

The article doesn’t say anything about modularity, but the Lava “myZ” is customizable on order. You can choose the RAM, flash storage, front and back cameras and color of the case.

I’m curious to see if that concept in successful.

2 Likes

Cool concept.
And here’s more of the concept or rather the customisation page:

The choices are not infinite of course.
E.g. you got two choices for the rear camera:
13 + 2 MP
13 + 5 + 2 MP
With the first choice you can chose for the front camera between 8 and 16 MP; with the second choice it’s “just” the 16 MP camera.
Up to 6 GB RAM and up to 128 GB ROM.

And it comes with stock Android 10 (Go, if it’ s got just 2 GB RAM).
Dual SIM (both 4G), gorilla 3 glas and 5000 mAh battery.

The top model (13+5+2 MP rear camera, 16 MP front camera, 6 GB RAM, 128 GB ROM) is 10699 Rupies (about 120 Euro).
The cheapest one (13+2 MP rear camera, 8 MP front camera, 2 GB RAM, 32 GB ROM) is 6999 Rupies (about 80 Euro).

NO specail fair or ecological concept of course.
The CSR paper (PDF) is rather full of phrases without a real concept and nothing to be measured or binding.

1 Like