🇬🇧 Interesting links / news articles somehow related to Fairphone

It doesn’t seem like they are mentioning Eelo anywhere. But it seems like they are mixing the available possibilities of FP2 and FP3 at the moment.

Ok, and then there’s this by Fairphone currently …

“For Fairphone 2, we offered also Fairphone Open, an operating system (OS) that does not have Google services pre-installed. This will not work on the FP3.

1 Like

Yes. But perhaps they are mixing up /e/ and Open OS, and they think /e/ is being developed by FP.

It seems, they do know more, than we do. :wink:
But I doubt, that it’s /e/ they are talking about; even more so, since they claim, that FP develops a de-googled system.
Should they really be in an early stage, it might still take some time before it’s available.

1 Like

The “This will not work on the FP3” wording means “don’t install FP2’s Open OS on FP3; they are not compatible”, as it’s true for every other custom ROM.

Maybe. Although it seems weird to me from them to think Fairphone officially supports Eelo.

Latest news I was aware of from Fairphone were that they were working on it. I think it was mentioned tangentially in an interview but can’t find the sources (to be fair, it was a long time ago and I’m not up-to-date with FP3, since I own a FP2 and my next phone’ll be a Librem 5 that should arrive shortly).

4 Likes

What made me think this was that they are saying:

You can install Fairphone Open on the Fairphone 3, although the process isn’t straightforward.

And this looks a lot like /e/. Or otherwise, I don’t know what they managed to install on their FP3 (if they even tested).

1 Like

You could read it that way. But the wording is ambiguous.
It could also mean “Offering Fairphone Open OS will not work on the Fairphone 3.”

There was a list of reviews for the Fairphone 3.
I don’t think, the FP3+ is worth a new list, so I post this here:

One of the best reviews of the FP3 in my opinion was done by techcrunch, that was featuring an interview with Bas van Abel.

Well, …, they have done it again.
Here’s the Fairphone 3+ review with an Interview with Bas van Abels.
Fairphone’s new Flagship, the 3+, costs just €70 as a modular upgrade
Interesting read.

“Our vision is definitely there that you can also eventually replace the core module… where the modem and the processor is,” he says, hazarding that it might be possible “within a couple of years”.

“We’ve done a lifecycle assessment on the Fairphone 3 and what comes out of that we’ve also tested what parts of the phone have what kind of footprint and you also see that almost 80% of the CO2 footprint of the phone is within the making and the production of the SOC,” he says. “So that means that if you really want to look at it from a sustainability perspective it really makes sense to keep that part of the phone just as long as possible.

While some might wonder if there’s a subtle contradiction in a sustainable smartphone brand launching a new model only a year after unboxing last year’s flagship, van Abel says expanding the portfolio in important — as part of the overall mission to grow demand for ethical smartphones.

That demand is in turn needed to build momentum for the kind of industry-wide shift required for a wholesale upgrade to a circular economy. And the potential of offering devices as a services.

“We want to sell as many phones as possible — because our mission is to show that there is a demand for ethical phones,” he tells TechCrunch. “So the more phones we sell the more we can show that the demand is really there.

Edit: Just marked the citation as such.

4 Likes

Hardware.info has an article about benchmarks of WLAN on 80 smartphones [1], including the Fairphone 3. Its in Dutch, but the test results should be understandable as-is (they also mention test method and such).

[1] Bijdehand bereik: wifi-prestaties van 80 smartphones getest.

1 Like

Not so much about but probably affecting the FP3

Sounds a bit strange to no longer being able to use a photo app of your liking when taking pictures from within another app.
I guess/hope Custom ROMs will disable this restriction.

4 Likes

Read: Google wants you to use Google Camera to take photos. Nothing new, just another step in their purpose. Nowadays, privacy is a buzzword.

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing this research, I had no idea about this

HN thread / Tweakers.net thread (NL) / GitHub page

The GitHub page contains the sauce.

Here is a review of a book called “Dying for an iPhone: Apple, Foxconn, and the Lives of China’s Workers”

5 Likes
2 Likes

Here someone mentions the camera quality of the new FP3+ explicitly

4 Likes

And - once again - it is stated, that FP is looking to enter the US market.
So I stick to my guess, that the major “update” for next year will be a phone for the US and thereby a really big expansion of their market.

1 Like

Hm, you mean

But a Fairphone spokesperson told Gizmodo last month that it’s “looking at possibilities for the future” for extending its market to the U.S. as well.

Isn’t that what they have been communicating on official channels basically right from the start?
IIRC in the QA sessions of the FP3+ announcement it sounded as if the European market would be large enough for the forseable future.

:uk: Luca Concept Car: An Electric Vehicle Made from Plastic Waste 12 Jan 2020
:netherlands: Eindhovense studenten presenteren Luca, auto gemaakt van afval 8 Oct 2020 (includes video of working prototype)

1 Like