Installation of FP Open OS doesn't work on my FP2

I used the developer options and I wrote to the support team last Saturday. But they seem to be completely overstrained.

You could try to reflash your phone using fastboot.
If you want to try that follow the instructions under point 4. “Flash the binary image from a computer” on this site:

However you want to replace the binary image zip file with the one you can find on code.fairphone.com under fastboot.

Here the direct link to the image:
http://storage.googleapis.com/fairphone-updates/fp2-sibon-16.04.0-image-userdebug.zip
md5sum 297084cb69147714cd5c85a2078142a2
sha256sum 8b5440c16e6c990eb27b1408ccf5c000f4a357b361be29636b369204d85f8b9f

The problem is:
The Phone dosn’t boot,
it doesn’t work with ‘fastboot’ and
it doesn’t work with ‘system recovery’!

And the support team didn’t answere this week.
When will they do???

The support seems heavily overloaded with work.
I suggest to give them a call, and have your ticket number ready.

So I called them yesterday and I have got a connection! Within 48 houres i shall get informations, whether I should send my phone to Amsterdam. And now I am waiting again. Incredible!
In the last days I tried again to get the FP2 running and realy, somtimes I managed to get into recovery mode. It was difficult to get there because the keys did not respond properly.
But beeing there I managed as well to reset the phone to factory settings. The menu told me: ‘successful’. Than I tried to flash the phone with a new Open FairPhone OS. I downloaded the file ‘fp2-gms43-1.2.8-ota.zip’, 538.550.811 Bytes. But trying to get this OS on the phone ended with the massage: ‘Zip signature verification failed’. Wy that???
May be somebody of you knows exacly how to do that and which file is the proper one; there is another one, half as big?
I have to tell you, I am not very familiar with Android and the Android recovery menu. So it would be very helpful for me to describe the process step by step. I could not find something like that at the FairPhone site or at the forum.
It realy would be great if I could avoid to send the phone to FairPhone. With forum help because there realy is any help by the FairPhone support team (hopefully only in these days!).

Hello,
I tried installing the FP Open OS via the guide given on the fairphone code page. So far things worked out pretty well. Now when Updater installed OSOS and my fairphone shut down to boot the new version it suddenly stopped in the loading progress giving me the following error:

"finding update package…
opening update package…
verifying update package…
installing update…
can’t install this package over newer build.
E: Error in /cache/fp_update_.zip
(Status 7)

Installation aborted.
E: Can’t open /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/misc (Permission denied)"

My current version is the fairphone os 1.3.6. update and the file I tried to update it with is the file given at the code.fairphone page itself.

I tried resetting my phone and clearing the cache however I can’t get the OSOS started. Has anybody any suggestions what I am doing wrong or how to solve this?

Thanks a lot.

Merik

Try installing FPOSOS via fastboot.
Since the current FPOS build is newer than the latest FPOSOS, maybe it prevents the update. Though I guess that flashing the FPOSOS via fastboot should work, as it does not just make an update, but reinstalls the system.

Hey guys,

I’m looking forward to FPOSOS so I can get google off my phone. Thanks to the dev team and contributors for getting it out. I’m just having an issue getting the new OS on there.

I have the exact same problem as Merik so, as freibadschwimmer suggested, I downloaded the fastboot file on the phone (not on my PC) and ran the file from the Updater (getting to it using Amaze). I rebooted holding the volume down button with the phone plugged into my PC. The computer said something about having installed an app (Android Updater?) but I can’t find the new file/program, even using search. Now it is just sitting on the “Fairphone powered by android” screen. I tried again and it sits on the same screen. To get back to a working phone I have to pull the battery.

I’m on Win7. How do I “issue the command from a console”? I tried doing it from the dos (command) prompt but it says fastboot is not a recognized command.

Should I be able to open that program that downloaded?

Thanks for your help!

Derek-

While I don’t share the exact same symptoms as you, my FP2 was partially bricked for some weeks.
When connecting to a charger, the red light started blinking. Then, the “Fairphone + powered by Android” screen appeared for a while, and then it started over.
Sometimes I was able to enter recovery mode. Most of the times, I wasn’t. It didn’t even work without battery, directly connected to the wall.
The cause of my problem was that it could not charge the battery. Sometimes I was lucky enough to see the screen say “Optimizing app X of Y”, only to reboot shortly afterwards.
I ordered two more batteries, and the phone worked, until the batteries were discharged.
I ordered a charger targetting specifically the FP2, but still no success.
Finally, I was able to enter Recovery mode again, and choose to perform a Factory reset/wipe.
Afterwards the phone started charging again as expected.
I lost all my apps and settings, but at least the hardware is back.

Thank you, rydnr, for your reply! Your issues indeed look a little bit different. And in the end I have send my phone to FairPhone; they have taken over all costs for sending and repairing the phone.
Today it came back, properly working with a new OS, off course without my data, which I already had deleted before with setting back the phone to factory settings.
When I have send the phone to repaire I also asked to install the Open FairPhone OS; but they didn’t do. I found the 1.2.8-update with Google playstore, unfortunately. It even didn’t have the 1.3.6-update, which is delivered already before the day of sending back my phone!
With the phone I have got a “Fairphone Repair Checklist”, which says, that the phone’s display didn’t work (my experiences have been different!) and that it has got a new motherbord. But most important: Now it works again!
Meanwhile I have updated the phone to the 1.3.6-version. That worked without any problems with using the “Updater”-app.
But I am hasitating to switch over to the Open FairPhone OS because of problems other users reportet above. So it is o.k. now, but I am not completely satisfied.

Now I have updated my phone to the Open Fairphone OS (version 1.3.6) and it worked without any problems!!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.