Install Open GApps: “zip file corrupt”

As CoraLibre still needs some time and maybe forever, many of us rely on Google Play Services right now to use COVID-19 contact tracing apps (in my case this one). So I tried installing Open GApps pico in Fairphone Open 19.12.1-beta1 via TWRP and ran into the same problem (“zip file corrupt”) many people described here. As I did not find a solution there or anywhere else on the Internet and as the topic is closed for comments, I want to share my solution here: I pushed the zip file to /external_sd/ via adb and installation via TWRP then worked fine. I hope this helps others currently trying to get COVID-19 contact tracing apps running under Fairphone Open.

1 Like

If this is the only reason for you to use G00gle Services, I just wouldn’t use them. Essentially you just converted OpenOS into FPOS again.
It’s not your fault that the developers are too lazy to implement their own API’s instead of using G00gle’s proprietary one. The austrian Stopp Corona app, while it apparently never worked well (I haven’t used it and I never would, but according to the Play Store reviews), has also switched to the G00gle-Apple-API, so now I also get an error message.
Instead of getting spyware on your phone again I would suggest to ask the developers to update the app so that it works on privacy concerned people’s phones too.

1 Like

Like I wrote, there is some effort by committed unpaid individuals (CoraLibre) to implement this into MicroG. Regarding your advice to talk to the developers, there is actually some discussion on the GitHub page of the German COVID-19 app where the developers made clear they don’t plan a Google-independent implementation of the API (see here). So at the moment, if you want to use COVID-19 apps with a minimum of Google code running on your phone, the only way is to install Open GApps pico. I was happy with MicroG for years and I jibbed at installing Google Play Services very much, but at the moment the possibility to save lives seems more important to me than the possibility to be spied upon by Google. I will delete them again as soon as this is possible.

It is no longer necessary to install Open GApps pico to use COVID-19 contact tracing apps! :tada: MicroG now includes exposure notifications. I tested it on my Fairphone 2 with the German Corona-Warn app and everything seems working fine.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.