Install /e/ on a Fairphone FP4 - “FP4” (beta)

I have a general question about /e/. Is the camera quality the same? I ask because: in the past I experimented with Sailfish on Sony Xperia. Then when opening the bootloader it became impossible to use the proprietary drivers for the camera. (I hope I reproduce this correctly). In any case, the consequence was a drastic reduction in image quality.
Is this similar with the FP4 with /e/?

no, worse

yes, same

absolutly

1 Like

So if improving image quality would be the reason for upgrading from FP3 to FP4, one should refrain from /e/ (and presumably iodé) and follow the de-Google paths discussed in other threads, right?

2 Likes

Golem:
https://glm.io/162496?n

Die 6-GByte-Version des Fairphone 4 mit /e/OS kostet 625 Euro, die Variante mit 8 GByte RAM ist für knapp 695 Euro erhältlich. Das Fairphone 4 mit herkömmlichem Android kostet jeweils 580 und 650 Euro.

So there is a 45€ difference in price if you don’t want to install /e/Murena yourself :dollar:

1 Like

To all of you, who successfully installed /e/. I tried to follow the guide given in the initial post.
I’m failing at unlocking the bootloader.

1. Reboot on fastboot by running the command in the PC console adb reboot bootloader

This is the last step that is working.
This one is not working:

1. Ask for unlock with fastboot flashing unlock

I only get " <waiting for any device" >

adb doesn’t recognize the device anymore once in bootloader mode. What am I missing?

@TFTD Had the same issue. Solved it by changing the USB cable

USB/c-USB/c didn’t worked
USB/a-USB/c worked then

Thanks for the quick reply. I will try a different cable. Just have none with me at the moment.
If I get you correctly for you it only worked with USB-c to USB-c. I don’t have a pc with a usb-c port but I have a Fairphone cable. Will try this later.

No
USB/a to USB/c worked

both side USB/c didn’t worked

Ah soory, missread you. Mainly because for me it is not working with USB/a - USB/c. But it is Samsung cable. So I have hope. (Bot I think, I didn’t have issues with it before.)

curiosity…adb commands are working with my bothsides USB/c but not fastboot commands in bootloader mode
therefore I did not suspect the cable at first

try it and you will see… :wink:

Had a similar issue with fairphone where it was not recognized when in fastboot mode everytime I plugged in.

Basically my computer (Windows 11) requires to manually install the driver of my phone identified as “unknown device” in device manager. Had to download the google usb driver → device manager → Unknown device → install driver from file → adb interface

Funny enough, when I switched to recovery mode I actually had the popup of USB drivers being installed automatically, if I remember correctly. But after this, things still didn’t work. But this is a good idea, where to check for the problem, too. Thanks!

OK, using Linux Mint. No experience with Windows, sorry

1 Like

Hello

Maybe the popup in the phone, “allow USB debubugging” ? :wink:
I also had to a few times after booting, no matter what mode.
Even if the cable is pulled, confirm again and again, device / PC remember the phone is not interested. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Is this not normal behaviour and only fastboot commands would work? And would you not need to update the driver while in fastboot? On the FP2 and FP3 driver issues are most times fixed by actively searching for updates und er Windows updater while the FP is connected in fastboot. Under additional updates - driver you might find google stuff to update

1 Like

Hello

No, you start adb reboot etc and switch to fastboot flashing etc. :thinking:
I guess it doesn’t work for /e/. Not for me anyway and I’m not alone with this.
And maybe someone can push this all together :wink:

so you are telling me when you are in the bootloader /fastboot mode through adb reboot bootloader, you can use adb commands? I cannot neither on the FP2 nor the FP3.
Eithter way I think when the above reported issue is really caused by missing drivers, it does not really matter. In addition I doubt that your issue is the same as reported in the other post else hirnsushi would have had a solution. In the other post the issue is that the bootloader is locked and OEM unlocking is disabled and phone not booting, so no way to enable OEM unlocking again and without that the bootloader cannot be unlocked again.

2 Likes

I guess because ADB and fastboot get distributed together they often get lumped together as simply ADB.
When we get into detail, the two are seperate entities working with different modes of the phone, and referring to fastboot as ADB then leads to confusion in troubleshooting.

I think we should assume fastboot doesn’t find the device.

Thanks for all the answers. I managed to install /e/ using my old Win7 pc with a usb-cable I bought with the FP4.

3 Likes