Install /e/ on a Fairphone FP4 - “FP4” (beta)

That’s probably due to a known bug of not enough allocated memory (maybe the same for Discord):

AFAIK it’ll be fixed in the next update.

3 Likes

Cannot confirm all these issues in iode…
But yes, you’re right, had the same problems before on my FP4 with /e/OS

I’ll add that the workaround from that link has fixed the issue with Discord (and Newpipe, for what it’s worth) crashing for me.

3 Likes

Do you know if Aegis is working on iodé ?

Yes it is. There’ s enough memory
Thy didn’t do the mistake like the /e/OS guys with the jvm heapsize

I’ve got everything in place now, but got stuck with the backup options. Found this thread stating that TWRP misses user data and this wiki and now I’m confused and would appreciate a hint into the right direction.
I can live with backing up my files manually, but would like to back up system settings and app settings to recover my FP4 to the state it is right now.
Is adb the way to go?

@Alex.A Is the wiki only for FP2 or also FP3? As its the second time someone stumbles over it, we should maybe add that its not for FP4, because

@OvO I think in the above its already clarified at least that the wiki doe not work and data can def not be backed up using TWRP

Edit: @OvO reg ADB backup you might want to read this thread

So TWRP and ADB are not sufficient to restore to the current state.
Are there no reliable alternatives? Is there a best practice - e.g. to backup system settings via TWRP and then to recover App settings and Data manually?

TWRP misses the internal storage (/data/media) in the phone whatever the device. My hack allows to integrate internal storage in TWRP data backups.
But currently TWRP can’t decrypt at all the data partition of the FP4 (i.e /data), so there is nothing my guide will change to that. Using adb won’t be enough, you will only be able to save the internal storage manually (/data/media/0), and copying /data from a switched on phone with adb is a bad idea (and very probably won’t work).
Currently, no backup of the whole device such as TWRP does is possible on the FP4. Apps such as Titanium will work with root for backing up apps, and to use adb backup is a bad idea IMO, as it’s deprecated.
Hope it clarifies.

System settings are on the data partition, as all the user data.

2 Likes

Thank you for helping me out here - there’s a lot of new stuff to wrap my head around coming from the fruit of convenience…
So there is no reliable way (without root) to backup and restore system settings running /e/ on a FP4 at the moment? I can only document and restore everything manually as long as TWRP doesn’t support decrypting the data partition?
Is there something in the pipeline I can be looking out for?

AFAIK, indeed.

The TWRP topic I guess, to check for updates when it’ll support decryption.

NO it isn’t

Therefore you have to ask the /e/ developers.

I would add, be sure you actually want to switch to /e/, as it is a one way street for now:

It should be possible to get back to vanilla FPOS with properly backed up partitions, but so far no one has tried…

1 Like

there’s no way back, but there’s a way sideways to iodé (:

I did and if I may share the response:

We have several things in the pipe regarding backups and we hope to be able to roll out something later this year.

5 Likes

i do have that issue, too (as described by TFTD). Everything worked fine until step 6.
adb recognizes the phone, fastboot won’t. (fastboot = )

but:
after entering recovery mode and selecting ‘enter fastboot’ the command fastboot devices -l shows the device. unfortunately fastboot flashing unlock is not possible, i get

FAILED (remote: ‘Unrecognized command flashing unlock’)

then I tried fastboot oem unlock and got

FAILED (remote: ‘Command not supported in default implementation’)

after executing adb reboot bootloader ‘Fastboot Mode’ is in red letters (as DEVICE STATE - locked).
Is Fastboot Mode disabled?? How to enable it? It would be very helpful to have some comments on this within the manual as well.

very confusing… any ideas how to get this working?
thanks for any help in advance.

using macos montery + homebrew

That’s already benn said last year (2021) :wink:
The discussion about backup was already held and exactly this statement was part of it at that time. Here or in the /e/ forum.
Therefore, it can really take longer. Must remain patient

1 Like

This has to be entered in bootloader mode. Not recovery mode
And it is fastboot flashing unlock for FP4

Thanks for your reply, FairphoneHulk!

UPDATE
I tried another cable - and it worked.

First try was using the cable from my macbook.

Now I used a cable for external SDD and everything worked fine.

Maybe helpful information, how to check wheather the cable is suitable…

2 Likes