I want as little Google as possible on my Fairphone 4!

They are not just launching a de-googled custom rom, which I would think is good. No, they try:

1. build their own ecosystem → e.cloud
    (don’t need it. don’t want it.)
  2. implement their own app store → cleanpk.org
    (there is no info about where the apps come from. who is behind cleanapk, etc… Not trustworthy)
  3. they fork all possible standard apps
    (which is not necessary and makes the whole thing worse)
  4. microG is always lagging behind

These are all points that put me off and keep me from looking at /e/ or trying it out.

There are alternatives:

1. pure LOS
  2. LOS4mg
  3. iodè
    1+2 still takes some work to get the system google-free.
    3 is a good approach. The only thing that can be criticized about iodè is that their iodè app is not open source. But I can live with that, because I know the sources.
5 Likes

Hello guys, first of all, thank you for your great commitment on this topic, it is really helpful in the waiting of LOS to be officially available!
I follow the simple uninstall process indicated in the current thread by @rar0 and everything runs smoothly so far, except I cannot sync my agenda through CalDav system. DavX⁵ is ok, but Etar won’t open, it closes immediately after opening. Did someone face the same issue by any chance?

Thank you again!

Yes,same problems.
Reinstall:
com.android.keychain
com.android.providers.calendar
worked for me

6 Likes

Try enabling com.android.providers.calendar again :thinking:
I believe that’s used to let calendar applications talk to something like Davx⁵.

Edit: Too slow :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

Works well indeed! Thank you :+1:

1 Like

Do I have the full 5-year-warranty on hardware if I was running some degoogled third-party OS (lineage, /e/ os, sailfish etc.), as long as I install Fairphone OS before sending it to Fairphone for repairs?

In the legal text Fairphone says:

[…] if you modify some Android partitions when you flash a Third Party Operating System, which makes it impossible to go back to the official Software version provided by Fairphone.

How should I read this? As long as it’s possible to install Fairphone OS and having that installed before sending it in, I have the warranty?

Yes.

3 Likes

@ iodè: and how long will we have to wait for this OS?

I asked them in their community forum and they told me that they will get an FP4 in January and start the migration…

Why is there a /e/-OS phone, if I link to Iodé forum??? :open_mouth:

1 Like

Because iodéOS forum has defined this picture as og:image…:

<meta property="og:image" content="https://community.iode.tech/uploads/default/original/1X/9d7bcd8ed3cdca25458be2744d5520231c780bfe.png" />

Possibly because they don’t have another picture (with iodé running on a FP4) yet? Still I’m not sure iodéOS has the right to use this picture… :thinking:

1 Like

Does anyone know if installing /e/ os raises problems to those partitions ? My plan was to buy a fairphone 4, install /e/ and test it, if I dont like it I would of course like to switch to regular fairphone OS again.

Official factory images are available now, so you can just flash the phone back to stock FPOS if you don’t like /e/.

Oh and welcome to the community :wave:

2 Likes

Just keep in mind that relocking the bootloader when reinstalling FPOS still comes with some risks (have a look at e.g. Trapped in fastboot mode with locked bootloader and corrupted /e/ OS).

2 Likes

Thx that some of the nightmares I want to avoid, should be included in the docs if not done yet

edit: doesnt seem like its safe to do that for now

1 Like

Don’t know if it’s in the docs, but I’m sure FP is working on a fix so that likewise won’t happen in the future…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.