I need a charged battery in Greater London! (a universal battery charger did the trick)

Hi Liam, many thanks, I saw your post after I wrote my last one. Sunday is later than I’d hoped…if no-one else responds by Sunday can I take you up on that? What time were you thinking?
I get around pretty easily on London transport. Are you anywhere near the Haringey Green Lanes overground? I go up there sometimes and it’s accessible from Brondesbury station quite near me.

1 Like

Hi all, I posted a few days ago and just asking again if there’s anyone in or around London who would be able to help me by letting me use their phone to charge up my battery. I need to get the info from my calendar off it today if at all possible, getting desperate!
I’ll travel anywhere in or around London. Would be extremely grateful if anyone can help me out.
Cheers
Abby

ps. thinking about it I’ll travel anywhere with reasonable access by train from London up to 2 hours each way…! Cheers again! x

I’m currently in Oxford… but I’m going up north in a minute. Sorry, otherwise I’d have helped you out with this.

1 Like

Thanks anyway. Have a good day!

I don’t know what else to do but ask again…is there anyone in or around London who can help me by letting me charge my FP1 battery in their phone so I can retrieve my calendar and notes before sending the phone off to get repaired? The charger port is damaged and my 2 batteries are both dead…
Really desperate to get the calendar off especially. I’m in a local unemployed workers group and do casework for people with benefit problems. I can’t remember all the appointments I’ve made with people and really don’t want to stand them up!
I’d be eternally grateful for any assistance out there!!!
Many thanks xx

1 Like

Hello,
Just an idea.
Maybe you could try one of these Phone-repair-shops (or whatever name they have in London) with one of your batteries and ask them to charge it. They could have a universal charger. Something like this:

Universal LCD Wall Travel Charger for Cell Phone PDA Camera Li-ion Battery with USB Port Black

Unfortunately I cant help you as I live in Belgium.

Good luck.

4 Likes

Many thanks for your suggestion! I have been wondering if such a device existed and assumed it didn’t. I’ll try that while I wait to see if there’s anyone more local who can help me in case the battery charger idea isn’t available here.
Thanks again!

1 Like

Hi again, do you happen to know if the one you put photos of will accommodate the FP1 battery? There are so many different ones on ebay and that particular one doesn’t specify but another one does specify that the maximum size of battery is a smaller size than the FP1.
I realise you may not be that familiar with the product or others of its type, just thought I’d ask.
Many thanks

Hello,

I dont have that charger but I found it on Aliexpress in China and on Amazon.co.uk. There it seems you could have it delivered by tomorrow.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fivesix-Universal-battery-charger-Ericsson/dp/B00W03QUHM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1447159993&sr=8-2&keywords=universal+lcd+battery+phone+charger

It says the maximum width is 55 mm. As far as I can see the width of my battery is 53 mm.

Good luck.

That’s what I’d try. We don’t want to produce an unnecessary amount of ewaste.
Different solution: Buy it on amazon and charge your battery and afterwards hope they still take it back

And what about the waste, Vinni ?

Transportation, packaging, etc.

Nice solution !

Caught me :speak_no_evil: But still better than buying it and throwing it away

Why should he throw it away. He can use it for charging phone batteries for himself and his friends, even when they have a different brand of phone.

:girl: I thought @scooby is a she (Abby short for Abigail, isn’t it?)

1 Like

Sorry, my mistake. My apologies to Abby.

[quote=“Baaje, post:21, topic:10765, full:true”]
Sorry, my mistake. [/quote]
Don’t worry! I only found out because I sent her a message and looked in her profile (always assuming my Abby - Abigail theorie is right)
Someone referred to me in another thread and wrote “he / she” - and I thought Ruth as a name was pretty obvious :wink:

I highly recommend asking RC-clubs, Hacker Spaces or photographer clubs for lithium-ion chargers. So one does not have to buy one. Make sure you check the polarity and that you have an intact battery first (not swollen). Over/undercharging and other things (check the SDS) are not good for a lithium-ion batteries’ health, so also make sure you know what voltage it needs to charge!

If you want to know more about the different stages of LiPo charging people can find interesting information here: Power Management in Portable Applications: Charging Lithium-Ion/Lithium-Polymer Batteries.

For safety issues you can check different LiPo’s SDS/MSDS. I don’t know any charging specs for the FP1/FP2 batteries only that my FP1 battery was made by Fenghua, has 3.7V (nominal) and 2000 mAh. Maybe the support can tell us? Or someone who can “read” the motherboards charger settings?

Disclamier: Do not charge your battery just because you read my text here. Make your own decision made by reading/thinking. If I would charge my own battery like this, I would stay around/below 4.2V on a device made for charging a lithium-ion battery.

1 Like

Hi Ruth and everyone else who has been writing to and about me! Thanks for your comments about my phone and my he/she status- you’re right Ruth! (except Abby isn’t short for anything in my case)
Back onto the phone battery… On my way home this evening I stopped in one of those internet cafe/phone shops and bought a universal battery charger. It’s meant for phone batteries though doesn’t say lithium (but is 4.2V output). It cost £5 and no ‘footprint’, and glad to find it as I’ve been avoiding Amazon since a boycott was launched last year in the UK (they evade/avoid paying tax and treat their employees like dirt) Before I read your post, fp1_wo_sw_updates, I put my battery into the charger and just took it off at 65% which has got me back into my phone! I have a second battery so if this one ends up damaged I’ll still be ok. I’ve got temporary replacement phones so I just need to get everything I need off of the FP and I’ll send it for repair. As far as under or over charging the battery, I might get it up to around 80%…
Thanks again all x

4 Likes

Great! if you post something on the Internet regarding things that can (if everything goes really really wrong) burn/explode you better be extra careful even if this sounds a bit ridiculous. Most charge management controllers are pretty clever these days, even in the cheap chargers. But you never know what you get (until you look inside and lookup the chip) :smile:

9 posts were split to a new topic: Problems with backing up the FP1 using Titanium Backup and Google