How to treat non-English topics

Yeah I think that’s a great idea. Maybe we should also add flags for other languages that don’t have flags yet? e.g: :nl:

Or :at: :wink: How about it, @Techaddict? Is it possible?

should be an easy tweak, I’d say…

Other than that, I think it’s a bad idea to have more then one language per topic, as this might be fairly confusing for the posters.

2 Likes

I like the flags :slight_smile: I’ll modify Italian language threads according to the new standard :stuck_out_tongue: :it:
Thank you for pointing to this feature
Bye!

2 Likes

http://emoji.codes/ lists a host of additional flags such as :flag_nl:

The site also says the emoji are compatible with Discourse.org. Unfortunately this does not seem to be the case for our installation.

However they have a development kit that is free to include.

Edit: Apparently emoji one is already built in to discourse but has to be selected as the emoticon set by admins.

2 Likes

New smilies have been added before, so that’s not much trouble. The admins only need the svg-files.

2 Likes

No problem, they are available. But I would still look into whether they are already available with Discourse.

2 Likes

Ohoh, I wasn’t aware that changing titles puts threads on top again. Now quite a few topics which I have changed the language indicators to flags were swept up to the top again. Sorry for that.

Edit: Funny, but not all of them show up at the top … only three.

1 Like

It only happens to topics with no replys as you are editing the “latest reply”.

2 Likes

Today I had added a language flag to a post title and simultaneously translated the title to English. However someone reversed the translation. Just to make sure we have a common ground and I don’t annoy other people with future edits: Did we not stick to keeping all titles in English like @Stefan had proposed?

[quote=“jftr, post:30, topic:5793”]
Did we not stick to keeping all titles in English like @Stefan had proposed?

[quote=“Stefan, post:14, topic:5793”]
I think the title should stay in English, just like a news feed.
[/quote][/quote]

@jftr: You need to read this in context:

I said this to let the non-German-speaking community know about the Austrian events. This is not the case with this topic:

(We edit the Austrian Fairphoners topic’s title whenever there is something new to tell. :slight_smile: )

1 Like

@Douwe can we implement the Dutch flag? :nl:

2 Likes

@Stefan Can :nl: be added to the list, as well as the emojis set? People already used the tag, but it isn’t recognised. It also is one of the four ‘official’ Fairphone languages.

EDIT: sorry, didn’t scroll down to te last post, see that it’s been requested already. Hope it can be taken care of :slight_smile:

I only just noticed we have quite a couple of flags added to the icons now. :smile:

:nl: :se: :cz: :no: have been added to the previously existing set of
:cn: :de: :es: :fr: :gb: :it: :jp: :kr: :ru: :us:

Now with regard to some of the most active community folks, we still need
:at: and :ch: :thumbsup:

4 Likes

Why have the added flags another shape than the existing flags?

Because the existing flags are outdated. I believe the next discourse update will make all flags round and include the flags @Douwe added manually.

1 Like

I think the flags refer to the language spoken… not the country where the person is from… right? So :de: :fr: and :it: should got you covered…? Or do we need an extra :ch: because of swiss-german?

4 Likes

Agreed :thumbsup: And though my first name might suggest it, I am not Swiss at all myself, but I would assume that when it comes to written language, there’s no need to mark threads as “Swiss-German”. :slight_smile: But then again, we would not need the :us: one either then :wink:

While we don’t need them as language flags I think country flags would add a nice touch to local community topics.

True, but :us: was already part of the system. The others I need to add by hand.

In the next major update of discourse forum software many more flags will be added to the default set.