How to install FP4 OS after an /e/ try?

Hello all,
I did install /e/ last week to try it out. But I discovered that I still need some a bit of google to work :frowning:
How can I revert to the official OS ? or should I go to another custom rom that includes google services ?
Need help and advices please :slight_smile:
Thanks

1 Like

At the moment there aren’t any complete system images available, so there is no way back to vanilla FPOS. Other custom roms aren’t available either. Edit: Apparently iodĂ©OS is available soon, that won’t help you with your Google problems though

So your only way forward for now is staying on /e/ and trying to get the Google services you need to work into a usable state. What are the Google services you struggle with? :thinking: Maybe others have them working already.

I do have backups of all the system partitions, but haven’t tried flashing them back yet. If that works without problems, that might be a way back to the original OS. But I won’t be able to test that for at least another week.

6 Likes

I don’t know if iodĂ© comes with embedded microG but if not it should be possible to flash openGapps or similar right after ROM installation ?

It does:

The microG services replace Google Play services on your iodé smartphone.

1 Like

Damnit
 I don’t understand how come that ROMs that require soooo many command to install can’t just add another one for microG/Gapps letting the user decide to use the drug he wants

Because if you install it after the fact you have to enable signature spoofing somehow, leaving you with potential security issues. If you bake it right into the rom, you can lock it down to microG only.
That’s one of the reasons LOS4microG exists, Lineage devs didn’t want to make signature spoofing easily accessible.

4 Likes

Backups of the system partitions might be cool!
I was soo eager to give a try to /e/ that I forgot to take the elemental precaution of making a backup before flashing

It is.
But iode let’s you deinstall all preinstalled and system apps :+1:

1 Like

Oh, that’s freakin’ nice :open_mouth:

Yes, and also microG
Aditionally they plan to implement Wireguard Kernel Support in userspace to use it without root access.

What is that? :thinking:

If you don’t know what it is, you probably won’t need it :smirk:
It’s a modern and fast VPN solution :nerd_face:

We never know x) I love to learn new things :stuck_out_tongue:

So, it can be used with every VPN we know, such as ProtonVPN ? Or do they have to implement something too?

According to their page it’s already implemented

We use only VPN protocols that are known to be secure - OpenVPN, IKEv2, and WireGuard.

It’s just another VPN protocol essentially, I use it to connect my own devices directly (not through a VPN provider). Has been the easiest to set up so far :smiley:

2 Likes

ohh okay, I understand better :stuck_out_tongue:

Just out of curiosity I contacted FP to ask if it’s possible to revert to stock ROM, the answer was that the only way is to send the phone to FP at your own expense and they will revert it for you.

3 Likes

Sure, this should always be the last ressort.

if the manufacturer can’t do it, who can?
Of course, it must be clear to everyone that they do not work for God’s reward. Service, especially if it is self-inflicted, costs money.

Taking this as an example, then it’s at least 130,-€ for repair and two times 20,-€ shipping.
In summary: ~170,-€

Everyone must decide for themselves whether they have the courage to install a custom ROM or not. :wink:

There’s a German proverb:
Wasch mir den Pelz aber mach mich nicht nass

I don’t know if this can be translated easily, but it’s worth a try.
Wash my fur but don’t get me wet

1 Like

Every phone I’ve ever owned (~16 phones from ~8 brands) previous to my FP4 had had a way to revert to stock ROM without sending the phone to a service center. Hopefully it will be possible on the FP4 in the future.

1 Like
1 Like

Every previous FP model has a way to revert to stock ROM, so I don’t see why this shouldn’t happen for FP4. I assume it’s just a matter of time and a bit of patience.

9 Likes