[HOW TO] Flash a custom ROM on FP3 with GSI

I have added adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.qualcomm.qti.qms.service.trustzoneaccess and something about pm uninstall to the wiki.
The advantage of disable-user is in case of any problem, it can be reactivate on the phone. And I’ve not seen any reactivation for the moment.

Work your back-camera in LOS 16? In mine only the front-camera is working and the button to switch between Front and back is missing :-/

Does twrp factory reset work for you guys?
ArrowOS won’t boot after a factory reset until I make fastboot -w.

I’m also working on a little installable zip that enables the navbar: https://github.com/basxto/fp3_gsi_patcher
That should make it a bit quicker when you switch between roms regularly.

Tested that zip so far with: ArrowOS, phusson AOSP 9 vanilla nosu, lineage 16.0-20191017

1 Like

You should probably create and submit an overlay instead, which deals with much more aspects than just a missing navbar (e.g. brightness curve, battery usage, ambient display - if there are any issues with them), and will be built into any PHH-based GSI built after its approval.
Refer to this guide and existing overlays at PHH.

Also, hi to the FP community, and thanks for using my (ultimately PHH’s) work. Wish actual (non-GSI) development comes for you guys soon.

6 Likes

Thank you, I will look into it.

And it seems we don’t need magisk to run GSIs.
I’m currently running LOS 16 on 101 kernel without magisk and twrp.
I just did adb disable-verity and adb reboot "dm-verity enforcing" again and again. I don’t know if both are needed or if the rom boots up as soon as the second message disappears.
It also runs on c4y0z’s kernel (hello adb reboot ebl) with twrp without magisk, but it takes ages to boot up, the display has wrong resolution and won’t turn on once it’s gone off, like the stock image did originally.

1 Like

karloff, can you tell which GSI ROM you successfully flashed?
thx

If you are able to run GSI from stock rom with adb disable-verity we should update the wiki :slight_smile:

I’ve built an overlay https://github.com/basxto/vendor_hardware_overlay/releases/tag/v0.1
The navbar works now, haven’t tested it much though.
Just do in twrp: adb push build/treble-overlay-fairphone-fp3.apk /system/overlay/

4 Likes

Nice !
I tried it with LOS 17 (and without magisk :slight_smile: ) but it didn’t work

Neither does AOSP10.
And resurrection remix still does not leave the boot animation.
And Havoc still does not boot at all.

current Arrow OS release for Android 9
https://sourceforge.net/projects/arrow-os/files/arrow-9.x/GSI/27_Jan_2020/
the system_arm64_ab.zip file.

I try’d AOSP for Android 9 before, but after flashing every click crash back to screen, so i’d use Arrow OS.
There a few minor issues, but nothing what count in daily use.

PHHusson’s AOSP 9?
Which issues do you have with ArrowOS? I’m currently running that too

Hi,

First post on this forum. I bought a FP3 two weeks ago and successfully installed LineageOS 16 GSI thanks to this thead :slight_smile:

I’ve been struggling a bit trying (and finally succeeding) to install & configure microG.

It seems my setup is fine now :slight_smile:

Thanks to all of you involved into this documentation.

3 Likes

How do you Update your lineage?

1 Like

Download the latest system image, boot to bootloader and do fastboot flash system {your_image.img}. Consider to do a data backup with TWRP first :wink:

Note : @AndyYan won’t do any new LOS 16 built and the LOS 17 (and all AOSP 10 based GSI) doesn’t work on FP3 (for the moment?)

So the gsi lineage is on an old security level?

How does the data backup work? Backup, copy to PC, update lineage and restore data?

The last LOS 16 is from November. But it is still possible to compile new ones.

To do a data backup you have to boot in TWRP then
BACKUP > data > swip
And pull the directory somewhere in /sdcard/TWRP/BACKUPS
You should also pull the entire /sdcard directory adb pull /sdcard

The backup is only in case of an error. Your data shouldn’t be erased when you flash an update of your current system.

Thanks for the explaination. :slight_smile:

I’ll probably update mine from own compilations. I’ve started, looking at it but don’t know yet where I’ve put my finger :smiley:

I’m reading @AndyYan 's post on XDA. The build is failing now, I need to figure out where the git reverts should be done.

1 Like

Thank you all for making this possible! my fairphone is finally a freephone, too. :kissing_heart:

2 Likes