[HOW TO] Flash a custom ROM on FP3 with GSI

I get “invalid argument” when I run:

mount: ‘/dev/block/mmcblk0p30’->‘/system_root’: Invalid argument

How to fix this?

EDIT:
Oh, stupid me had flashed img.xz file without uncompressing it first…

Hi, I dont find a maintained GSI ArrowOS version on the website:

https://arrowos.net/download.html

The link in your posting points to a old GSI version: “Deprecated versions, not actively maintained or updated”

https://sourceforge.net/projects/arrow-os/files/arrow-9.x/GSI/

1 Like

All Android 9 GSIs are unmaintained afaik,
But Arrow OS has the january updates and with that it was the most recent GSI I was able to find.

2 Likes

Just saying, since non-GSI development hasn’t progressed much, why not take a look at the graphics problem that makes Android 10 GSIs unusable? File an issue with logs, it might be easily solvable on PHH’s end. Can’t keep eating a Pie forever, right?

4 Likes

I’m willing to test it, but unsure what kind of logs to provide and how. Any hints?

Edit: here is my issue with output of adb logcat attached

1 Like

I added “Android 11 Developer Preview” to the first post.

It didn’t work (not a big surpise after the Android 10 based images already didn’t work properly) and just ends up in a boot loop.

Back to the LOS 16 image. This time I tried the overlay apk for the navbar and that worked :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My recommendation would be to ask FP about it, link them to the issue here, and then post the link to your question to them here, and i’ll see if/what they answer.

Did you ask FP/ send them a link and do you think FP will answer? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Investigating whether to jump from FP3 stock to GSI LOS 16…

LOS 16 would bring me LiveDisplay and hopefully Bluetooth aptX HD.

What about daily use? Battery life, stability, etc?

Thanks for some feedback!

I just checked live display. It seems stripped down. But I also noticed something named night mode. Looks like similar features, but personally I find it a bit confusing. In would have expected only one of them, not both.

Thanks!

On my previous LOS-16 phone, I liked LiveDisplay’s RGB color channels control, which allowed adjusting the display’s color balance. Are they there?

Couldn’t upload the screenshots from the FP3, I added them now.
So yes, the calibration option is still there.

1 Like

Ok so I did everything in the first post (including the magisk and root part) with lineage os 16 GSI from AndyYan. It failed at:

ᐅ fastboot -w
wiping userdata...
Invalid erase-block-size 512: must be a power of 2 and at least 4096.
Invalid logical-block-size 512: must be a power of 2 and at least 4096.
mke2fs 1.44.6 (5-Mar-2019)
/tmp/TemporaryFile-yotClr: Function de bibliothèque ext2 non implémentée lors de l'initialisation du superbloc
/usr/lib/android-sdk/platform-tools/mke2fs failed with status 1
mke2fs failed: 1
error: Cannot generate image for userdata

Then I tried:

ᐅ fastboot erase userdata
******** Did you mean to fastboot format this ext4 partition?
erasing 'userdata'...
OKAY [  7.443s]
finished. total time: 7.443s

As the error code was 0, I went on despite the warning and tried to reboot into system. After maybe 40 min on the boot animation, I decided it failed (and I’m pretty sure it has, because nothing were loggued in adb logcat for a while).

I rebooted into recovery to wipe dalvik and cache but it failed too. Unfortunately I didn’t save the log at this time. So it might be this, but I’m not sure:

e4crypt_prepare_user_storage for volume null, user 0, serial 0, flags 1             
Preparing: /data/system/users/0                                                     
Preparing: /data/misc/profiles/cur/0                                                
Preparing: /data/system_de/0                                                   
Preparing: /data/misc_de/0                                                     
Preparing: /data/vendor_de/0                                                      
Preparing: /data/user_de/0                            
contents mode 'aes-256-xts' filenames 'aes-256-cts'                              
not actually forking for vold_prepare_subdirs
libc: Unable to set property "ro.crypto.state" to "encrypted": error code: 0xb
Using synthetic password method            
Handle is 'e28e17d7fc76fa95'        
I:Backup folder set to '/data/media/0/TWRP/BACKUPS/A209H9MP0201'
I:Settings storage is '/data/media/0'      
Updating partition details...                                                   
I:Data backup size is 2060MB, free: 46544MB.
I:Unable to mount '/usb-otg'                       
I:Actual block device: '', current file system: 'auto'
I:Can't probe device /dev/block/mmcblk1                                       
I:Unable to mount '/sd-ext'                
I:Actual block device: '/dev/block/mmcblk1', current file system: 'ext4'
...done                                                     

The only way I managed to get out of it was by using Format Data. Then I could reboot into Lineage and it started correctly. I’ve been using Lineage OS 16 for a day (reinstalling all my apps and my accounts) and so far it works fine.

So I have some questions about this failed installation:

• Did I do something wrong?
  • In recovery, I cannot mount “USB OTG” and “SD-EXT” any more, is that normal?

Apart from that, is there any drawbacks in a GSI build compared to a regular/full rom build?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if my questions are stupid :slight_smile:

The only stupid questions are the questions that you don’t ask.

2 Likes

I think doing fastboot -w after fastboot erase userdata should do the trick

I tried that, but still had the same error :slight_smile:

Hello there! here’s my case:

After having forgotten my lockscreen password, i deleted some system files that should have unlocked it. The device booted normaly, and there was no password. But the launcher didn’t work…So i flashback stock rom as says in the topic, everything was alright. And after that i tried to flash custom rom(LOS16), and in step one when i did “fastboot --set-active=a”, i could not do a full boot: the device stays wheeling at the little blue wheel…So i reboot in bootloader and did “fastboot --set-active=b”, and then reboot, but same thing. I format data, system and cache with TWRP. I tried to flash back stock rom but i always get on the wheeling blue wheel, indefinitly ^^

Could you help me please ? just to flash back stock rom in a first time :ocean:

Did you try this script ?

Thank you! I tried it, but…
In the Guide, Step 2 “fastboot device” returns me “fastboot: usage: unknown command device”. Then i did “fastboot devices” , returns me “A209HKS60202 fastboot”. I think it’s okay.
Step 3: I have the images in my working directory (c:\adb\platform-tools).
Step 4: I can’t run the sh scrpit because I’m on w10… So i search on internet: I installed Gitbash, but gitbash doesn’t recognize “fastboot” command (wheareas I’m in the right path). So I tried to convert the .sh file in .bat : i remove the first line and change .sh to .bat .
But when I run it, the window pop up briefly. Should I install a virtual box of linux, or do you have a way to run .sh files on windows ?
Thanks

Thanks for the feedback, I’ll update the README.
You can try to add fastboot to your gitbash’s path export PATH=$PATH:{dir to fastboot}, or use a linux live USB (e.g. ubuntu)

After having forgotten my lockscreen password, i deleted some system files that should have unlocked it.

Note: doing that on encrypted storage removes the decryption key as a side effect, hence what you experienced.

1 Like