How to disable Bluetooth Audio Autoplay when using Spotify?

Installed Tasker, configured it and it seems to work. =)

Thx!

2 Likes

Nope. Rollback. Didn’t work.

Even as Tasker is set to grab Bluetooth Media Controls, Spotify starts playing when connected to my car Bluetooth. Well, it doesn’t immediately. But as soon as I switch to Spotify it starts playing even if I stopped playing previously.

I think this is - despite what they are saying - a real only Spotify only issue.

So, sorry for the noise, but I assume Fairphone OS can’t help this.

1 Like

Reading through the link above, I would think its triggered by Android Car and Spotify has no option to interfere. I never used Android Car and have no idea if it’s useful for other things, but why not just disabling this App?

Android Car? Well no, this is very old Kenwood Radio in an even older VW Golf. Both from a time where nearly all handheld phones have been produced in Finnland, and they’ve been not very smart. This is a tech whose age is in the double-digits.

It’s just FP3, Spotify and a very, very basic old Kenwood Car HiFi radio.

Edit: you mean disabling Spotify? Why should I do that? I want to listen, but when I want, not when Spotify think I should.

Maybe the idea is that by disabling, not uninstalling you just have to enable it, or is that too much trouble? How many extra taps on the phone does it take to enable?

I don’t get it.

I can “Force Stop” or “Uninstall” Spotify. Both via Settings, which is quite a hassle, the former doesn’t help and the latter is out of the question. So both is too much trouble.

Then I just can stop Spotify from the running tasks, yes but a) why should I always before I sit in the car first check my phone, if it’s happy with this (again, this is too much trouble) and b) it doesn’t help either, since when Spotify is closed and when I’m in the car, as soon as I open Spotify, it immediately starts playing where I left it even if I stopped playing the song before.

All I want is Spotify to just do not start immediately when connected to a new Bluetooth device. Just the very same as Audible and DI.fm do on the very same device. Alas, they manage it, why not Spotify? Though Audible needed quite a user shitstorm to do it.

I see it as a Spotify only issue.

Anyway, thx for the suggestions.

I meant to disable the Android Car App on the FP3 not your Car system. Its installed on the FP3 with the system and there, so if not needed, disable and see if this helps. I have it disabled on the FP2 and Spotify does not Autoplay

Ah! I found an “Android Auto” (every time I wondered what automatic tasks this thing controls or starts), but no “Android Car” on my FP3. Also, I thought Android Car is an Android installed on the car media devices, not on my phone. Obviously a misconception…

Ok, disabled this one. Let’s give it try!

OK I was not sure what its called in EN in Germany its Android Auto and Auto is Car. Fingers crossed

Ha ha, true. I’m Austrian, so a German speaking native too. But my FP3 is set up in English. And there it’s “Auto” not “Car”.

1 Like

Report after some tests: well, something has changed. Spotify does not auto-magically start playing when my FP3 connects to my car … sometimes. Sometimes it still does. Hard to deterministically reproduce. I’m still to find a recipe for how to trigger this effect with 100% chance.

I’m somehow lost.

Ok, I’m now thinking of making a factory reset. Perhaps I also play around with some alternative OS (Lineage coming to mind).

-.-

Maybe its just happening when the app is open in the background? So try to have the app not running in the background when not needed.

1 Like

Sounds a bit radical for the problem you’ve outlined.

Yes, this looks like a Spotify problem.

I was about to make the same suggestion as Yvonne about background running but that’s already been discussed above and seemingly rejected…

So I guess Spotify need to prepare for a similar storm from at least one user :slight_smile:

Or else … dare I say it, choose a music player that does what you want, not what they think you want.

[Edit] - P.S. are you sure you’ve been thoroughly through the Spotify settings to make sure you can’t turn off this behaviour? I agree it’s very invasive. I don’t use this app and I’m not doing the work for you, but I find it difficult to believe that you’re the only one who wants Spotify to shut up.

1 Like

Yes, this sounds like a solution. Yet I’m very often listening to Spotify and I have to get into the habit of checking my background apps on the FP3 before I get into my car. Which - sounds a bit odd - “Hey, let’s drive to McDonalds!” - “Sure, just check my phone for Spotify.” - “Wait! What? Why?”

Well, … =)

Wouldn’t life be boring if everything was perfect …
:upside_down_face:

But if you accept the background apps idea, you want to swipe out Spotify when you finish listening rather than every time you get in the car.
Removing unnecessary background apps will also save you some power usage.

1 Like

Yes, I do think, the main culprit here is Spotify and, yes, factory resetting my phone, is harsh. But then, I do have other issues too. Maybe there’s a bundle of quirks already and Spotify just tips it.

And… hahaha, there’s already a lot of this issue over on the Spotify forums about this. But Spotify customer care is … uhm … “improveable”. I have the impression, they just a give a s…t about users.

Now, the Spotify feature, all this music, is something I cannot miss. Recently Spotify sent me my yearly usage summary listening over 80.000 minutes of music listening (sic!) for myself. A bit creepy too, since I think, they very well do some heavy analytics on my music consumption too, which they wont show. At least to me.

But: I.simply.need.music.

The alternatives to this is from other big tech like Amazon, Apple, etc. which gives me even more shivers. Spotify seems to be the least evil here. But I’m starting rethinking…

Are there any alternatives out there - which can be trusted?

1 Like

I really doubt a factory reset will change the Spotify behavior, because last week I had the same happening, which made me think of the background running. I’m used to close apps, but at that time I did not. Its the same on my company IPhone, when the app is not closed, it will start playing. Irrespective of which car I drive.

2 Likes

I’ve added a mention of Spotify to the title of this thread to clarify.

2 Likes

Two solutions are discussed here: https://newbedev.com/prevent-music-players-from-auto-play-on-bluetooth-connect

I tried the second one and it worked - sort of: Spotify plays for about 100msec and is then paused by the Bluetooth Connect&Play app.

The issue also happens with other media apps, the article explains that this is built in behaviour from the OS: car media players send a MediaButton event when they connect. This explains why Apple users have the same issue.

1 Like

Update: In the meanwhile, I tried LineageOS on my FP3.

Same story: Spotify eagerly jumps in and starts playing when connected to my car. =(

About LineageOS: this is worse since with LineageOS my Audible app manages to crash the phone (with full reboot) after approx. 20 minutes I am listening. This is unusable, so I’m back at FP3 OS again.

… which is a factory reset (to some extent).

And? Same story: Spotify eagerly jumps in and starts playing when connected to my car. m(

@FreekB I think this is what the Tasker application tries to do. So, been there and tried that. It worked. Sometimes, not always.

This behaviour of Spotify drives me nuts and currently, I’m about to drop Spotify in favour of Deezer.