How to be able to install and use any app on FP Open OS [meta discussion]

So, did Tingle work flawlessly? Great! I will report back that upstream, :smiley:

Edit: https://github.com/moosd/Needle/issues/32#issuecomment-252056556

Thank you! Why I do not find /system/bin/su on my phone? On a clean install there is just /system/xbin/su.

Hi @uwedd ! I donā€™t know why you donā€™t have /system/bin/su , from my experience any update of FP OS is adding them in both bin and xbin. Anyway the one in /bin is just a symbolic link to the one in /xbin, thus this should not be an issue.

@Roboe : yes, Tingle work flawlessly :slight_smile: ! I removed Magisk and root access (by deleting the two ā€œsuā€) and now Iā€™m able to play Pokemon Go again, with just MicroG and Tingle :slight_smile: . SafetyNet Helper says ā€œResponse validation: success, CTS profile match:falseā€.

1 Like

Cool. Could you update the wiki or - if you donā€™t have the time - just post the relevant links so I can update it? Thanks

Hi,
Iā€™m the author of Tingle and I want to support all versions of Alien Dalvik.
It would be nice if the ones that use it could report (on xda, github page or where you want):

• If it is working or NOT.
  • If it is FP1, FP2 phone or other.
  • If the Android version you have is 4.2, 4.4, 5.1 or other (Iā€™m particularly interested on version 4.2 if someone have it).
  • What Android version it detect.
1 Like

@paulakreuzer: In Step 1a you say to ā€œpatch the framework.jarā€ and in Step 5 you say ā€œInstall the Fake GAPPS moduleā€.

Teorically if you patch framework.jar you do not need Fake GAPPS module, correct me if Iā€™m wrong.

I have being using APKPure App as alternative app store on my Open OS FP2.
It allows to easily install any free app from the Google Play Store.
It is very convenient because it also handles updates.
No bad experience so far, I always scan every file with AVG antivirus and it never reported any malicious software.

Do anyone know any good reason not to use it? Any bad experience?

1 Like

Hello ale5000 !
Thank you for your work, Tingle is working correctly on my FP2 with FP OS 16.09 (Android 5.1).
What do you mean by Alien Dalvik detection ? How can I check that ?

Iā€™ve heard of Alien Dalvik as an Android emulator present in official Sailfish OS (but not in the community version as it is licensed), is it what you are talking about ?

2 Likes

@oli.sax: Thanks for the report.
During patching it should say ā€œDetected: Alien Dalvik (Sailfish OS)ā€ or something else.

What does it say for you?

The Sailfish OS port for the FP2 is a community work, thus it canā€™t run Android apps. Alien Dalvik needs a license the community doesnā€™t have. So we are not able to check Tingleā€™s support, :confused:

2 Likes

Hey cool! Welcome to the forum. :slight_smile:

Well FP 2 is running 5.1 and so far I donā€™t think anyone tried any of this on FP1.

I wrote the original guide with Magisk, systemless XPosed and pphā€™s Superuser. @oli.sax updated to the new version. Tbh I donā€™t understand most of what he wrote there. Flashing zips with TWRP I can do, but as soon as Iā€™d have to enter stuff in the terminal Iā€™m out.

1 Like

Indeed, I forget to comment the line about Fake GAPPS module. Thank you for pointing it out @ale5000, this is done now!

2 Likes

Thanks to all for the help with testing.

@oli.sax: Yes, I was talking about Alien Dalvik as an Android emulator present in official Sailfish OS, I want to support all versions of Android on every phone.

About FP2 with Android 5.1 what does it say between ā€œPatchingā€¦ā€ and ā€œPatching succeededā€, the line starting with ā€œDetected:ā€.

Iā€™ve made a flashable ZIP to avoid the use of proprietary Root Explorer:

(GPL-v3, source)

Instructions:

• Download ZIP to your FP2
  • (Recommended) Backup your system partition
  • Flash from the shipped TWRP, :slight_smile:
  • Reboot & rejoice
  • (Optional) Check with a tool like Root Verifier

Anyone can test this without busybox installed on the system? Iā€™m not sure if the flashing script runs busybox from TWRP or from the system itself, I guess the former.

3 Likes

Just wanted to say thank you for compiling this guide! I would have spent a lot less time installing this stuff if it had been there a few days earlier - but it is helpful now, too. Thanks a lot! :sunflower:

1 Like

Here is the output youā€™re asking:
*** Patchingā€¦
*** Detected: Android 5.x / CyanogenMod 12
*** Patching succeeded.

And just to be clear, the official Sailfish OS is not yet available for FP2, so youā€™ll not be able to test Tingle + Alien Dalvik compatibility on FP2 at this moment !

1 Like

Thanks, so the community version adhere to the standard Android, nice :slight_smile:

I did run through the updated guide from a fresh install after a complete wipe of all my data. Itā€™s not working with Pokemon Go. Also Safety Net Helper still states it can not connect. All options are checked and everything looks good in microG settings self check.

I am about to go back to FP2 with Google ā€¦ :frowning:

1 Like

thanks for the update, you just saved me a lot of time! Going back is not a solution for me right now, but Iā€™m still optimistic thereā€™ll be a solution eventually!
And a huge thanks to all the active people (@oli.sax, @paulakreuzer, @Roboe et.al.) in this thread working on it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi uwedd !
This is strange SafetyNet Helper says it cannot connect, for me this was only when I forget to reactivate 4G connectionā€¦
Did you install the ā€˜microG DroidGuard Helperā€™ ? Which version of microG do you have ?
I installed microG Service Core 0.2.4-20 , microG Services Framework v 0.1.0 and microG DroidGuard Helper 0.1.0.