How can I reconnect loose antenna cable

No post in a long time, but just want to ad for anyone else having antenna problems, I want to share a link to a potentially useful cable (if you are in the UK), thanks to @Patrick1 for clarifying the type of connector. The cable pictured looks like a Female U.FL to Female U.FL (also known as a I-PEX MHF) . I am guessing the part number might be U.FL-2LP(V)-04N1-A-(35) though I think the length may be too long at 35 mm. Also just guessing here but it looks like there are two of these, attached to the center board. Either way I will give it a go and update you here.

Hereā€™s a link to the cables I have purchased: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/coaxial-cable/1360902/

3 Likes

Hi ardo,
similar issues here. Did you find a suitable antenna? The one with 35mm seems to short (mine is between 80-85 mm - the one on the side).

Maybe this one could work (100mm): https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/coaxial-cable/1360912/

Youā€™re right; I thought there were two cables connected on either side of the rectangular board in the middle.
Also , It turns out that it is not a u.fl connector but itā€™s miniature cousin the w.fl.

Could try the 100mm cable as has been mentioned above but I donā€™t understand how it would work, because the length of the cable usually determines the frequencies that get picked up, unless that mysterious board in the middle has some kind of filtering function.

The only distributor that seems to sell the 80mm w.fl cables has a minimum order number of 100!
Iā€™m going to call on @Fairphone to check if they have any spare.

1 Like

Hi ar.do,
did you succeed with @Fairphone or did you buy 100 antennas?

1 Like

Hi @UFL, thanks for asking! I managed to get three W.FL 100mm cables, I donā€™t remember if I bought from RS components UK or Farnell. Iā€™d say it is worth a trym I had two phones with the issue, one from a friend, and it solved the problem with one phone but not the other. Itā€™s fairly doable if you have done any electronics before. Donā€™t forget to also get a Torx T5 screwdriver if you donā€™t already have one.

3 Likes

Thanks for the update! I found one at Farnell (but only companies can order - for other readers):

note the different size of the connector-head (w.fl is the one needed)

1 Like