Headset microphone not working properly using USB-C Adapter

I have the same problem: I am using a headset with kabel an the usb-c adapter, that was bought at the fairphone shop. I can hear the person, i am speeking with, but the person can not hear me. the mikrophon-part in the adapter in probably defekt. We testet it with a recording- app and the sound was extremes quiet.
Should the headset-Funktion work with the adapter or is it just to hear streams, music or Podcast?
I am Talking about Fairphone 5.

1 Like

Yes, in general it should. To be on the safe side I would test the adapter with a different wired headset. Or test the headset at a different device (without this adapter). What you are describing could be caused by a broken wire in the headset, too. I used to have a similar behavior with my wired Fairphone headset before I needed any such adapter. The soldering points of the microphone wire in the remote control were repeatedly lose, therefore the remote control didn’t work reliably either. After replacing the cable this was all fine again and it works quite well with some adapter (not the Fairphone one) with the FP5.

I tested it all: Voicerecording with and without headset with the app “Diktiergerät”

Test with other device (Samsung Phone, Android 9)
The microphone of the kabel-headset is working with that dvice with and without usb-c adapter.
Headset and adapter are working correctly.

Test with Samsung Phone, Android 13:
kabel-headset is working without Adapter, but is not working with USB c adapter: voicerecording sounds extreemly low volume.

The same test (same voicerecording app) with the Fairphone 5, Android 13:
without headset or with bluetooth headset the recording sounds perfekt.
With kabel-headset (using the USB c adapter) the voicerecording sounds extreemly low volume.

Conclusion: It musst be a problem of the software or driver in Fairphone 5 / android 13.

How can that be solved?

I would not conclude that necessarily, as not all functions of headsets work 100% of the time with all phones. Also, do I get it correct that you see the same low voice issue on the Samsung phone, when using the headset with the adapter?
I would def. test another headset before I point on the phone. Should it be the FP5 you have to contact support to get official help.

1 Like

There has been a similar topic where we tested different apps with FP5,

If contacting Support you may direct them to both of these links

1 Like

I have the same issue! 3 different headsets that work fine with an iPhone or laptop, very low or even no sound with the DAC adapter from Fairphone. I have an Android phone with a jack port, that one would not accept input from the adapter at all as far as I could tell but I will test it again today to figure out if it is Fairphone specific.

Does anyone have a solution yet? I contacted Fairphone Support a week ago but no response yet. I am still unsure whether it is the connector or the Android software, same issue on my other android phone. I am now thinking of buying cheap Bluetooth earbuds just to be able to make handsfree phone calls but that kind of goes straight into my “use what you have” policy.

I got myself “some” adaptor that enables charging while using headphones, too, and I didn’t have any issues with that so far. People called didn’t complain about missing volume so far. So I fear the adaptor is broken somehow. If you have a somewhat recent notebook or other computer with USB-C port you could test the adaptor there, too. Otherwise I fear it’s a case for the support…

1 Like

Thanks for the tip to try a laptop! I got a new one from work last Friday and just tried the connector there, same issue, very low microphone input volume.

1 Like

And the saga continues. Received a replacement adapter from Fairphone but the issue remains the same so I am afraid there is more at play. I suspect that the microphones Ingave are simply not strong or loud enough. I have tried making calls with 2 different bluetooth earbuds but the sound quality is too bad to make a call.

I never anticipated losing the Jack would cause me to simply loose the hands free calling option.

Just jumping to the conversation, if I understand what you’re describing, it seems there is some malfunction unique to your set.
I am using Bluetooth headset on a regular basis and very rarely experiencing any issues.
I did some tests with the adapter described in the other thread I mentioned and there was only one app I had any issues with.
Have you checked the troubleshooting steps via Fairphone app?
If you wish me to check any specific apps on my device, please do let me know

Yes, I checked trouble shooting using the app, contacted Fairphone customer support and they helped me through the process as well. I mainly call my parents so now I make those calls in the car which works fine. I am just disappointed that it is such a struggle to get something really simple to work.

1 Like

Thank You. You write about two links, where do I find them?

What I meant was this thread and the one I mentioned - referred to.
From what I understood when contacting support it might be useful to send them the links to the forum when other users are discussing the same issue.

[Edit] Some Samsung phones have the wrong pin out on the USB-C port on the device itself on tech that came out years ago when Apple stopped using the headphone jack. Its an old news story that you had to buy a special Type-C to AUX adapter in order to use headphones on the device long ago. There are many different USB-C standards that came out since it became the connector of choice on a lot of devices since it was announced. Who knows. I just thought this might be the case with everything always changing in the world of technology these days. Its like one minute you have the latest standard and two days later they come out with a new one. This was a joke on fairly odd parents with AJ getting a new computer from Timmy Turner. "It was obsolete as of five seconds ago. " Said AJ from the show. Anyway I just thought I bring this up here. :slight_smile:

I dont understand your comment. The topic is not about the fairbuds XL (which should not need an adapter at all? ).

The topic is about some cableheadset used with an USB-c to aux adapter and the FP5.

My apologies, I read most of this thread thinking it was the USB-C to microphone for the fairbuds XL. yes I know it has a built in Mic. It was a misunderstanding. It was sill a post on the USB-C port and the reply is still valid. I tried to explain that in the US there was a news article that I’ve read a Long time ago where people had to buy an adapter for their spacific product that they had ie. Phones because Apple just dropped the headphone jack and a lot of people had bought USB-C to AUX adapters for their phones that didn’t work. It turns out at the time the audio output pin was in a different location on some phones. People had to buy the ones that worked for their device. it was in the middle of dongle fever. I also mentioned that new standards of USB-C spec came out that might have changed where the pin was located. We are now on USB 4 and Lightning 4 of the spec. I was just mentioning that things change. Sorry for the misunderstanding of What USB-C you where talking about. This must be another Duplicate of another thread I mentioned this news article. Sorry about that.