I finally got a response from FP. To be fair, they offered me both to replace the phone or ship me a top module, but by reading all the comments, this smells like a software issue. I will hang on to my FP3 (which I love in any other respect), and try to work through the diagnostics steps sent to me by support, to provide FP with a more detailed and solid issue log, hopefully being helpful in squashing this bug once and for all.
To anyone interested, here’s the troubleshooting steps sent to me today:
- Which build of the operative system are you using? If not sure, please send us a screenshot going to settings > about your phone > scroll all the way down till you see the build number and take a screenshot.
- Does the issue occur just when using a specific app? If yes which ones in particular?
- Does this issue happen even during calls?
- Which kind of headphones are you using? Please specify brand and type.
- Did you try with different headphones? If not please do it and let us know if you are still having the same issues. If so, specify which headphones (brand and type) don’t work.
- Are you using L-shaped Plug or I-shaped plug?
- Is the issue happening when using the bumper or without? Please test it in both cases and let us know.
Please, reboot your phone and test it again right away .
Does this solve the issue? If yes, approximately for how long?
When the sound stops, try raising the volume using the volume buttons.
Do you see a note icon or a bell icon?
Note icon : does raising the volume solved the issue?
Bell icon : raise the volume going to settings > sound > media volume . Go back to the app. Does it work?
Run the following test to diagnose the problem.
- Open the Phone App
*#*#66#*#* in the same way you are entering a phone number to make a phone call. Once the last character is introduced, the Service Menu appears showing you three sub-menus.
- Select Service tests > Test Single
- Press Earphone .
- Plug in the earphones to run the test. Once the earphones are inserted, you should hear a pre-recorded track. If you cannot hear it, that means it is not working correctly. To stop the test, tap Back navigation key. Choose FAIL or PASS accordingly.