Headphone connector can't hold on to Headphone Jack properly

I had the problem with my FP2 for a short wile.
First everything worked fine and all of a sudden the plug would not fit in to the end anymore.
After I reported it to support, the problem disappeared all by itself again and the phone is working fine again since then (more than a year ago).

My - uneducated - guess was, that there might be a rubber ring (or something like that) at the bottom of the connector holding the plug in place, that got dislocated and relocated itself again. Maybe - just maybe - it might help to use a tiny screwdriver or a needle to poke a bit and try if there is something in the way, that can be “removed”.
Maybe it would be adviseable to contact support first; so you are not held accountable for damages, because the poking might leave traces.

I poked around (with a fork, followed by screwdriver, followed by needle xD). No moving parts detected. I also used a flashlight to see if I can find something in there. Nothing…
But I went around the office and tested other peoples head/ear phones. Multiple Sennheiser pieces had no or very little hold. 12$ standard Apple earphones were just fine, I was able to gently pull my FP2 up holding the cable without the plug instantly slipping out. So I guess it might be just an issue of micrometers in range of the manufacturing tolerance. As soon as the new camera pack is on store I will order it and see if changing the top module helps.

EDIT: I went to the electronic market today and asked the assistant if I can test multiple plugs with my phone. After some weird looks he let me do that. Verdict: SONY MDR-EX 110 had no hold, just as SENNHEISER MX 375 , but PHILIPS SHE 8500/10 holds well. Maybe it helps someone …

1 Like

OP here - I forgot to update you guys:

June: After some mail exchange with the support, I have received a new module.
Only needing a screwdriver and the FP deconstruction video, I easily exchanged the module. Big Kudos for the design. The headphone plug worked normal, just as it does in any other device I had since the WALKMAN.

September: The new module has the same problem again.
The jack doesnt hold in the plug and thus it frequently disconnects.
When I take the phone out of my pocket, without explicitly holding a finger on the plug
When I put the phone in my pocket without explicitly holding a finger on the plug
When it’s in my jeans pocket while on my bike, the up and down motion my legs make during cycling triggers a disconnect.

I just got my Fairphone 2 and have noticed that the headphone jack does not work properly. As mentioned in this thread it disconnects when moving but I also cannot get it to connect properly to the speakers I have at home (when the phone is completely still). I am curious about the suggestion to remove the case, has that worked for people?

Same here. Could it be for the simple reason that the back of the FP2 is sloped and that the jackplug therefore easily gets cought when taking it out of your pocket, for example? Or is it the jackplug itself?

Same here with my FP 2 new life edition. I even got a new head module from support but it didn’t solve the problem. Maybe I try the one from philips that @Beatzekatze mentioned.

Yesterday I received the camera bundle and changed the top module. The jack is perfectly fine there. Plugging in the headphones now feel pretty different xD Maybe I got lucky or maybe the problem is fixed in the new generation of the top module

2 Likes

Hey guys,
I have a problem with my headphone socket. The headphone plug doesn’t stay in the socket. It’s very loose and deconnects almost without touching…
Normally I still have warranty. But I don’t want to miss my phone for months. And as far as I heard, warranty process of FP does take a long time…
Do you have experiences? Would you recommend to just buy a new toomodule instead of going through the warranty process.
Leon

maybe they just send you a top module on warranty without you sending in your phone.

(I had the same problem, it’s now slightly better with a new module.)

2 Likes

It might be different for the FP2 but with my FP1 the loose headphone plug was just dirt that needed to be removed from the socket. :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you for your answers! I gonna try first to clean and if this doesnt work I try to reach the support.

1 Like

Cleaned it and got it thereby to the state as before: It stays a bit better plugged, but as mentioned above, it easily disconnects in the pocket. But that’s a state that I am now more or less used to :slight_smile:

From my experience with my FP2, I would say that the socket itself (inside the phone) is of poor quality, and the new slim case for the FP2 has a very badly designed headphone socket. These both contribute to form an extremely unreliable headphone connection.

I have managed to obtain considerable improvement by modifying my phone (documented here), but if you’re still in guarantee I would definitely recommend contacting support and asking for a new top module: several people say that’s helped them, at least for a while.

2 Likes

I just clean the port with just a toothpick. It works!
Now the headphone jack stay firm in the port.

Hi there! New to the forums :slight_smile:

I’m currently on the fence on whether to buy a Fairphone. The thing that is holding me back is this issue with headphone use. I will probably use the phone 70 percent as a music player, so it’s very important that it holds up here. Does anyone know if Fairphone is considering a redesign or change of their parts? This issue seem to pop up in threads. I planning on using the phone for music while jogging, so the plug need to have a stable connection.

I would advise you to check for one of the #fairphoneangels in your area or someone else with a FP2 and check, if your headphones fit the jack of the FP2.
On my behalf, I never had any issue with the jack and my headphones (being Musical Fidelity MF-100, MF-200 and EB-50; still available, but discontinued).
I really don’t know, if it’s due to the jack or due to some headphones’s plugs.

1 Like

There doesn’t seem to be any Fairphone angels in my country, Norway. I’ve tried posting about it on facebook, but I don’t know many people in the town I live in. I will try checking the second hand markets. Thanks for the suggestion!

If the issue is about the case (slimcase etc.), it shouldn’t be that complicated to change the design. That is, of course, if they print their own cases.

They can do that, in fact they already did so with the power button.

But I guess users would have to send in plugs that don’t work for Fairphone to be able to really get an idea of what the problem is … most plugs seem to work just fine (the ones I have work just fine, too, Sennheiser MX470/MX580).

Edit: And then there are dust and dirt, too :slight_smile:

Agreed.
I just remembered. I’ve got older cheap (20,- €) Sennheiser in-ear headphone, that works just fine as well.
I therefore doubt, that the case is really flawed.
Due to the curved design of the back cover of course it always seems, the jack does not fit in properly.[quote=“ThorKH, post:14, topic:34832”]
There doesn’t seem to be any Fairphone angels in my country, Norway.
[/quote]

Maybe you could try to open a new topic like “Fairphoners searched in Norway” or you search on the forum for “Norway” (the list of results is quite long) and contact the respective fairphoners by PM.

Here is a whole list of working, partially working and not compatible headphones:

1 Like