Google Apps can't be reinstalled

@Martin_Blackforest, no need to give up yet. Can you please tell us where you are:

• You did the pre-update (you’re still on 1.8 but play store is missing)
  • You did the 1.8.5 update but it keeps coming back to being on 1.8 after restart

Correct?

If so than please pay CLOSE attention to the message that pops up very briefly just after the update to 1.8.5 is downloaded. Does it say “no space left on /cache”??

If so, did you in the past use a program to give you more space on the device (a.k.a. Meteos /MKT Droid Tools)?

Hi!

I’m in the same situation as quite a few people here: I downloaded the Fairphone 1.8.5. update which unified my storage (so I had NOT done this in an ‘unofficial’ manner beforehand). I am now stuck in the Google Apps loop (and I really need to check my Gmail).

Just posting here to get an update on when Fairphone has found an official solution, as I don’t really have time time to fiddle around and download stuff as explained in previous posts.
Thanks! Elisabeth

4 Likes

Hello.
Yes - I am on 1.8 and I get the message to update to Kola 1.8.5
I don’t remember seeing any message about no space left on cache (I have hardly anything on this phone actually) I could try to update again and see if any message pops up but I am a bit hesitant because I don’t want to lose my google apps stuff again now I have got it back.
What I did notice a couple of times was a message about an invalid file and another message about invalid signature.

1 Like

Hi there, flashing back to 1.6 and let the Fairphone-Updater do his work, worked for me, too. On Win8 I installed both USB-driver packages manually. Didn’t work. Then I decided to reboot my PC and … the flasher recognized the phone. Don’t know which driver package was to good one.

1 Like

I can send everybody a link to the SP Flash Tool and the Mediathek Drivers if somebody needs them. Send me a private message.

I got the same problem but my laptop is running ubuntu, so I can’t install the SP Flash.
Has anyone proved to install a stock android version using the advanced mode of the fairphone updater app?
I’m really disappointed with the fairphone and the developer team. The update was already late, from what they said time ago, and now it doesn’t work…
I’m seriously thinking about selling it…

Can I just check, the only way to solve the “I’ve got 1.8 but can’t get to 1.85 or Google apps” problem is to flash the phone?

I’ve never done this and don’t fancy it. Is there an easy method out there?

Cheers

Hi albertako,

I have pretty much the same problem here. For me, it was not possible to install just any version / any OS to my phone by either using “advanced mode” in Fairphone Upgrader App, nor adb (Android command line makes almost everything possible - usually) since “upgrading” to “something that displays the version number 1.8.5”.

No need to sell it at this point though (and buy something else), because I know that big players do the same odds and are more expensive. I’ve been using always Fairphone OTA upgrades till now and they have so far worked like a charm. Trouble occurs only now for me since I’ve upgraded manually. This is a step where Fairphone could still improve in my opinion.

1 Like

Hi everybody!
I have a similar problem after manually installing the 1.8.5 update (for first batch and then the 1.8.5 unified storage (install g-apps-loop". I had partitioned my storage before, so that could be the reason for this issue.
I tried flashing my phone according to your very helpful description. But I keep getting the following error: “PMT changed for the ROM; it must be downloaded” and it won’t download anything to the phone. I tried with the 1.6 scatter file as well as the 1.8.5 one.
After a whole day of rather amateurish trial and error I am next to a nervous breakdown :wink:
So, if you have any further advice or any clue what could have gone wrong: you are most welcome!!
By the way, my battery seems to be bloated now - it has been totally fine this morning…
Thanks so much for any help!

Bloated battery should be reported. How to identify and what to do see this article from fairphone support.

Hi Marco,
are there any news? “Tomorrow” is a day ago now. Would be nice to hear what’s happening.
Thanks!

3 Likes

@sabines If I understand it right, you have a Fairphone of the first batch and flashing with the SP Flash Tool does not work?
I will send you a private message with all the tools, some versions of SP Flash tool don’t work.

1 Like

@Kephson
Thanks for your quick response! Right, I am using a first batch phone and I was not able to flash with the SP Flash Tool. I will try again tomorrow. It would be very helpful, if you could send me another version of the SP Flash Tool.
Thanks again!
@Amber
Thank you for the advice. I will report the bloated battery.

Please tell which version of SP Flash Tool you have succeeded with for your phone. I also have first batch phone. I still might not be able to run SP Flash Tool, since I practically have only Linux and I dont trust my Netbook to have the power for flashing… but who knows… Also maybe it may help other people if you tell your procedure.

Hi Amber,
Thanks for your response.
I never had a problem with the updates before, but I read quite a lot here. When I decided to buy this phone, it wasn’t only for the fair idea, but also for its longevity. Then, they said that it wouldn’t be possible to update to newer versions of Android because of mediatek. This, in my opinion, is a huge mistake and it makes the phone old very fast.
So, I’m not thinking of buying the phone only for this gapps loop now, the way they are trying the fairphoners is not very nice.

I hope a solution will be made soon.
Cheers

I habe the same problem like many other. I updated my phone from 1.8 to 1.8.5 and then used the storage update to unify the partition. Since then im in the GAPPs loop and the wifi symbo lis grey. I have no access to my contacts, gmail, calender and other apps which is very very annoying.

I actually wanted to wait for an official bugfix but since theres is no sign of it i tried to flash my FP1 but i cant make it work.

No matter what i do, the flashing tool doesnt recognise my phone. When im in normal mode the phone can be seen in the internet explorer and i can access it wothout any problems.

I tried to install the drivers manually and automatically by windows but i t makes no real difference. Deinstalled the drivers several times, restarted pc… I tried different drivers and 2 versions of the falshinhg tool ( v.3.1352.01 and v3.1344.0.212). Sometimes the windows device manager
show my FP1 as HTC Dream, sometimes as Samsung Android Phone (Android ADB Interface). In the normal mode its is shown as FP1.

Im really annoyed by all this. I actually did not want to spend so much time on getting my phone operational.

Hi albertako,

I find important, that security holes are fixed. Fairphone tries to achieve this with current Android. If I look at my big brand phone before, I have received only few, rather minor updates on OS with huge delay after release and after one year they have stopped updating. Besides OS, longevity can also be achieved by replaceable and affordable materials in case something breaks.

Hi,
After the installation of Kola Nut the installatin of the Google AppStore has no effect. It seems to install correctly, but after the reboot during the installation, the appstore is not installed and I am prompted again for the installation.
Also it is equally not possible to install any other sw package with the fairphone installer.

It seems to me that the issue is related to missing su rights of the fairphone installer as I was never asked to provide the su rights.

Can anybody help me on launching fairphone updater with su-rights (via adb?). Or maybe any other idea on how to get the google appStore to run?

Thx
Björn

I have a FP1 first batch and updated to Kola Nut from version 1.6
This didn’t work first as I had changed partition sizes before the official patch came out. So I installed Kola with the storage upgrader option from recovery.

I still can’t believe it: I am actually running on 1.8.5 Kola Nut with one storage partition AND Google apps! Thank you so much, @Kephson!
Flashing worked for me with SP Flash Tool v3.1312.0.139
Good luck to all of you!

1 Like

Living without Google does not work when you need the Google play dienste for apps like sharing a bike (call a bike, Next bike)

Any news on this gapp update?