GBoard and Fairphone 6 with Android 16

Hi everyone,
I’ve been using my Fairphone 6 for about three weeks now and I really like it. However, I’ve noticed that quite a few things aren’t running entirely smoothly on Android 16. Aside from a Wi-Fi issue, I’m having trouble with the Google Keyboard (Gboard).
It’s not a major problem, but it is somewhat annoying for my workflow with the device.

For example, when I’m typing a message in WhatsApp and press the emoji key, it usually shows me the emojis I used most recently. Sometimes, however, they don’t appear, and the keyboard behaves as if it were freshly set up and never used before. There is a search bar for emojis on the keyboard; when I tap that search bar while the error is occurring, the keyboard crashes and immediately restarts. Then, when I tap the emoji key again, my emojis show up.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Naturally, I tried the obvious steps: clearing the cache, deleting user data, and “resetting” it by uninstalling the app (even though it can’t be fully uninstalled). I then updated it again via the Play Store and set it up from scratch. Unfortunately, nothing helps, no matter what I do.

I know it’s not a huge deal, but it’s just annoying in day-to-day use.

Thank you all <3

Hey Spongebob!
Out of curiosity - what is the language of your device and your keyboard’s primary language? Do you have any additional languages for the keyboard set up?
I’ve been using Gboard on Android 15 and 16 and never experienced any issues with Gboard to be honest, and I (sad, I know) have entire conversations in emojis. Do you have any additional keyboards installed? Try uninstalling them. Also try, if you haven’t already, slightly adjusting the Display and Font Size UP in the settings. It seems the default setting sometimes may cause issues for some unknown reason. I am pretty sure fairphone support would suggest a factory reset but I don’t think that is necessary yet.