From Fairphone Open Back to Fairphone OS

Hi all!

I would like to reinstall the original OS on my FP2, because the open OS is too much of a hassle to work with (push not working correctly, GPS not functionning). I could tweak and try stuff but i don’t have the time or energy to deal with it.

My question is : if i backup the phone with TWRP, can i restore it on the other OS and get back all my apps and messages and parameters? I would guess so as it’s not such a different OS, but i just want to be sure :slight_smile:

Thanks for your answers, have a nice day!
Thanks

Yes it should, though you always have a chance for something to go wrong because restoring a TWRP backup from one OS to another can cause some apps to malfunction. And I wouldn’t say TWRP backups are 100% reliable.
Also, some settings might not work correctly because there are a few differences in both OSes. In the worst case the phone won’t even boot correctly (bootloop), though that’s the worst case. I’m not saying it will happen, it shouldn’t, but be prepared to it. In any case you can still restore the full backup of your system as it was before.

An important note: your internal storage won’t be backed up by TWRP, you have to do it manually (plug your phone into a computer with adb, and do adb pull /data/media from TWRP).

2 Likes

Two things to consider as well:

• I don’t know if you have checked, but the update to Fairphone (Open) OS 19.11.2 removed TWRP from the FP2 (and replaced it with the stock AOSP recovery). So if you want to use TWRP, you need to re-install TWRP manually (but maybe you know about this and have already done this).

• Fairphone has been working on an upgrade to Android 9 for the FP2 for quite a while. This work is now in a stadium that makes Fairphone foreshadow “more news” on this “very soon”. So you might want to consider if it makes sense for you to wait a little longer and make both steps in one go – going back to Fairphone OS and upgrading to Android 9.

1 Like

This is not necessarily a good idea. Restoring a TWRP backup on a more recent android version will very probably cause problems of apps malfunctioning, while switching to FPOS A7 and then upgrading may work. Better two steps than one in this case.

1 Like

And maybe think of /e/. I use it and it works great.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.