FrameWork laptop launch - repairable, upgradable - New stuff for 2023 too

Ah! yes. I had to do a restart with Wi-Fi off else it forces an account. Should have known as i set up my Fairphone without Google by not engaging Wi-Fi until after
:blush:

Ok just flaffing with windows and a ‘funky’ keyboard.

Thanks for your attention

All the best

I recently installed a few Windows boxes and none of them forced me to have an online account - and I was always connected to the wifi. Anyway, I can recommend the Windows 10 Debloater right after setting up Windows.

How dare they, now that GB left the EU :wink: From my experience if you can write with 10 fingers it doesn’t matter so much what is printed on the keys. I usually have German keyboards but use the US International layout on them because brackets and stuff that is required for programming is much more accessible on the latter one. Sometimes even the keys themselves can be swapped which of course doesn’t work if the shape differs.

2 Likes

Did you possibly install Windows 10 Pro? With Windows 10 Home, it is different. There is no option for a local account, when an Internet connection is detected.

9 Likes

Uh, good point, it was the Pro edition indeed. One more good reason for second hand business notebooks…

3 Likes

Just had an email to say they are sending a replacement ‘input panel’ which is the top including the keyboard, trackpad, power button and surrond. Just as I was feeling part of the EU again.
:hugs:

2 Likes

This also applies to Windows 11 but requires an extra trick
https://www.xda-developers.com/windows-11-microsoft-local-account/

M$ will find a way to make your life hell without an M$ account…
Either some programs won’t run anymore, you can’t install updates or whatever.
But they become more and more restrective. It won’t take long to use Windows without M$ account.
Scumbags…

It’s cheering to see how much you love Maco$hit, where would be without soemone to dump on. But they are not alone, not to point any fingers at, the ‘rotten apple’, the 'google gaggle; and ‘elon the hustler’.

But it’s a part of this planetary consumer game, locked in, loaded and ready to play ~ with my own rules.

I can swap between, various machines, but this is the first computer since a desktop where I can swap the parts, and, well, Windows is still a small part of the game.

1 Like

Same here! Any source from the supply chain and materials?

Yes, would be cool. definitely.
But I think that they would no longer be able to keep the price.
So become more expensive, which would jeopardize the success. Or have less margin, although I think that the margin will not be high anyway.
Double-edged sword. It needs smart decisions

I have uet to find anything on supply chain sourcing, sustainability, and ethics, but Founder &CEO Nirav Patel did share in detail about the company’s financials and how if factors into the cost of their products:

5 Likes

Fairphone got a mention on a Framework official video - scroll to 28 min and a bit

7 Likes

A test report in German:
https://www.derstandard.at/story/2000134936530/framework-laptop-im-test-das-einzige-wirklich-aufruestbare-notebook

4 Likes

Just a really cool update, the motherboard is available to DIY

4 Likes

Another impressive update.

With less than a year of sales the motherboard can now be embedded with a 12th Generation CPU

Founded: Jan 2020
First sale: July 2021
12th Gen: May 2022

This is fast and not having to negotiate Fairtrade make a huge difference.

4 Likes

12th gen is nice for performance (I still prefer AMD and its not as efficient as M1)

1 Like

10 posts were split to a new topic: Discussion about the Acer Aspire Vero

Available without Windows, as the DIY edition. I’m sure, I got one.

2 Likes

UPDATE: :frowning:
There is an issue with the RTC it is a rechargeable one and doesn’t hold the charge for a few weeks. So OK for people like me which use it daily, but a bummer for someone who wants to put it away for a week or so and then find they have to plug it in for it to switch on even if the main battery is changed, say to 60%…

So whereas I think this could/should have been explained prior to sale, even with such an issue I would have bought it. It’s just I would have been happier as I wouldn’t see the inevitable complaints. :cry:

2 Likes

It’s been available in the US for a year now < 5 months in the EU

I dual boot Win 11 and Ubuntu 22.04