FP5 refusing to boot

Why would the IodeOS shell script work though? I use a barebones EndeavourOS install on my PC (essentially just Arch but with an installler)

Interesting research though!

1 Like

I’ve yet to look at Iode’s script myself, but I would guess that their script uses fastbootd for half of the installation. Couldn’t say for sure though, since either way it uses the fastboot program.

I took a look at it and it looks like Iode’s script flashes the super partition along with other partitions as a bundle under a single fastboot command (fastboot --no-reboot update iode-someversion-img.zip) instead of a bunch of individual flash commands. It’s likely that the bug doesn’t occur when flashing super this way rather than by itself.

Iode includes minimal android-tools in their update package. Their fastboot program most likely doesn’t contain this bug.
Can’t believe that I explained this already for FP’s package then completely miss it now, lol.

2 Likes

Found fastboot’s core dump from my flash attempt. Here’s the backtrace. Understanding the backtrace is beyond me, so if anyone can make heads or tails of it we’d love to know what specifically went wrong with it!

FP hasn’t gotten back to me yet, however my reseller already offered to have it repaired as long as I pay to ship it to them. I’ll likely go with this option unless FP offers the same but also cover shipping.
@jaschutte Any updates on your end?

Nope, nothing to report here. I send them my address but they have get to get back to me. I also tried arguing that it does fall within the warrenty, but nothing on that end either.

Sadly, I got bitten by this as well. I think the

Please unplug the phone, take the battery out, boot the device into
fastboot mode, and start this script again.

message is super dangerous if it just failed right in the middle of a flash. If the other partitions were there it would probably still be able to reboot, but like this (mix of /e/OS, iodéOS) there is no hope. Not the greatest experience with a new phone :frowning:
To end on a more positive note: it is good that Fairphone provides the images at least, which seems to be a pretty recent thing. If there only were a public firehose loader so we could unbrick it ourselves as with FP3 (Fairphone 3 unbricking)…

2 Likes

A public firehose loader would be awesome. Maybe sometime in the future we find a generic loader or a different manufacturer like AGM releases a compatible one.
The shell script should really advise the user to download a working android-tools then re-run WITHOUT rebooting since one would still have a chance to recover while it’s still in fastboot mode. Or, y’know, FP could just include a working android-tools like they did for Windows and Mac. It’s almost like they put minimal effort into usage on Linux.

So, to summarize, some suggestions for Fairphone if they want to help customers prevent bricking their phones:

• Bundle a Linux version of fastboot, as is done by both /e/OS and iodéOS
  • Order the flashing commands in the flash_FP5_factory script so that the critical partitions (the ones which must be present so the bootloader still functions) are flashed right after each other, as is done by iodéOS
  • Only flash one slot (A or B) at a time and only proceed to flash the second slot after a reboot
  • Change the error message to warn the user of the danger that their phone might now be in an unbootable state and to retry with another computer whilst NOT turning the phone off
  • Even better would be to not have to download anything manually at all, but instead have a website such as https://flash.android.com/ to restore Fairphone OS

Even more ideas on how unbricking could work, as Fairphone are clearly not able to release a signed firehose loader to the public for security/legal reasons:

• Motorola-style “Blank Flash” image that can only be used to load bootloader to RAM for next boot
  • SD card image that can load the bootloader. This would require a correct boot path in low-level firmware.
  • As an online service where one can have this restore performed over the Internet without having to send the device in – perhaps using WebUSB
  • By distributing to the angels or official local repair partners under NDA where you can just bring your phone to reflash. This would at least save from shipping across Europe. Murena seems to have the firehose loader as well (according to this report)
3 Likes

As this is a user forum, you might want to increase the chance that FP considers any of those suggestions by contacting support.

1 Like

I’ve previously linked my troubleshoot ticket to this forum, however I’ll copy over Psiko’s reply. Awesome summary, @Psiko!

i messed around with my fairphone 5 with PostmarketOS, then when trying to install Android the bug caused tne script to fail (i was on Arch Linux aswell).
I really hope that i can get it to work again after spending 700 euros on it.

Without the firehose file the others mentioned, I’m afrajd you can only contact support to have it fixed.

Just today did support get back to me.
This was their response to the warrenty issue:

I understand that the device got bricked when installing the Fairphone OS. Installation of a Third-Party Operating System; for instance, if You modify some Android partitions when You flash a Third Party Operating System , which makes it impossible to go back to the official Software version provided by Fairphone. Flashing a third-party OS can modify partitions, which can make it impossible to go back to Fairphone OS. Unfortunately, this is still considered out-of-warranty.

TLDR: they will refuse to put it under warrenty, you will have to pay 25 to 35 euros to repair (excluding shipping)

3 Likes

I don’t think they understand that their system would’ve installed just fine if they hadn’t neglected to prevent a bug like this from occurring. A response like this is downright disappointing…

Update:

I just received my repaired phone. As far as I can tell it’s a brand new phone. All data would’ve been wiped anyways, so it doesn’t matter.

The important manner though:
The repair note it said the phone was within warranty and I have not been sent a bill. Not for shipping either (I live within the EU, not sure if this will be the same for others)

So despite support threatening with it being out of warranty, they never sent a bill and the repair store considered it within. So all ends well I guess?

5 Likes

Same for me. Also got a new phone and „in warranty“ :slight_smile:

Awesome! Mine should be on its way to FP from my reseller, hopefully I’ll get it back by next week.

1 Like

Hi! I’ve been through the same situation and I got my FP fixed by FP for free as well :slight_smile:
Now I’ll wait for murena to fix their easy installer before switching to e/os
Thank for this topic and everyone messages!

The Arch Linux bug has been fixed, install the latest android-tools from the extra-testing repo and you should be good to go! e/os should be fine as afaik they include a pre-built android-tools that doesn’t have the bug.

1 Like

My FP5 finally got repaired, however DHL keeps marking it as “dangerous goods” and sending it back to the reseller. They’ve tried shipping it twice now. Looks like I’m staying up late tonight to yell at whoever keeps screwing this up.

1 Like

I’m doing the operation on windows so I’m not sure the issue is the same but the easy installer from murena was the problem as it failed to flash a partition and bricked the phone. I might tried without the easy installer but at this point I prefer to wait for the murena team to come back to me once they fixed their tool before risking to brick my FP again