FP5 doesnt seem to turn OLED pixels off when displaying a black image/video

What fix are you referring to exactly? Or do you mean that you hope a fix becomes available?

I hope that they just accidentally messed up the black level, that they communicate to the screen, similarly to how TVs sometimes work on limited range signals. If that is the case, they can do a simple firmware update to fix this issue.

3 Likes

Holy smokes it may actually be a software fault, I also tried android recovery mode and the black background was proper OLED black, no light bleeding whatsoever. I also noticed when booting the phone, the default android boot screen ALSO is properly OLED black, but as soon as fairphone splash screen plays with the 4 spinning dots, the black begins to have the light bleeding through.

This is, in my books, great news! As it may now just need a small patch to fix, and not a brand new display. I will contact customer support about this, I encourage others to do so if they are also having this issue.

5 Likes

Do what? Everyone should contact customer support?

Pretty much. If you have this issue - and especially if it’s important to you - then please open a ticket with them. It’ll help them to see what people care about and which problems exist in the “real world” in the first place. They might also update priorities if they get more reports.

No! This bug is officially listed here:

It’s categorized as “medium impact” which is the highest priority at the moment. So please let the support do their work and don’t bother them with unnecessary complaints.

1 Like

This is just a user list nothing official, please contact support

1 Like

That’s a community maintained list of issues. FP support uses their incoming tickets to prioritize issues. So yes, the way to flag issues and get them fixed is to open tickets (not just by one person, but by everyone).

3 Likes

I have exactly the same issue when using a black wallpaper. The top part of the screen shows a glare like light bleed that sometimes happen with LCD screens or with some kind of Oled screens (with some back lighting)

I tried several things as mentioned below but non of them solve the issue. I keep on getting a gray shade like light bleed at the top of the screen. Some speek about AOD but I even don’t have that option on my unit. With the “extra dim” function it is slightly better but that does not stay on. Only a few seconds and then it switches off again.

So you are not talking about a Fairphone 5?

1 Like

Hello everyone,

I’m wondering if anyone else got this problem. Even when on the lowest screen brightness, when the screen is black, there is visible light emitting from the top left of the screen. Almost like a backlight bleed on a LED screen. If I turn up the brightness, it gets even worse, first along the left side, and if I turn it up fully, then I can see the whole screen illuminated slightly. It was very weird for me, as I thought OLEDs does not emit light when they are totally black.
Of course this is only really visible in a very poorly lit room, because the “bleed” is very minor. But I still noticed it during normal usage at night.
Is the FP5 OLED display just this poor quality or did I just have bad luck with mine?

Thanks in advance for your replies

Moved your post here, have a look above

3 Likes

Thanks a lot and sorry for double posting! It would help others after me to find this thread more easily by adding the “screen” and/or “hardwareissues” tags.

1 Like

I find the search tool pretty efficient. A search for “FP5 OLED” brings up this current topic in second place, and your own new one in fourth.

But I see that the tags have been added too, thanks Yvonne!

1 Like

As a workaround for the battery draining AOD I use the app LED Blinker. It gives me the opportunity to deactivate the AOD but in case of a notification it shows a small app icon for some (configurable) minutes. Of course this is a compromise between battery consumption and usability. There are other apps as well, like Always On Edge, but these are often limited to a short time as long as you don’t pay for it. With all apps I tested these days there is the problem that from the activated notification/AOD screen you cannot use the fingerprint button to unlock the phone directly. In case of LED Blinker I have to touch the fingerprint button twice.

2 Likes

Just for completeness: Is it this one? https://mo-blog.de/en_US/led-blinker/

Yes, the link over there pointing to the Play Store shows die Pro version. I use the Lite version which can be found here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ledblinker&hl=en_US

3 Likes

… and the longer it takes, the more uncertain I become that it can ever be solved by a software update. Much more… why didn’t the developers notice this at the beginning of the release at least - everyone who uses it notices it immediately, because it doesn’t even take a day :wink:

I would not have ever noticed it most likely, so unless this is a standard test…

@Srootus the subject indicates its related to AoD, is this correct? Else I would like to change it.