FP5 bricked or not?

Hi !
Having recently received my FP5, I’ve been playing around with it a bit and, above all, I wanted to transfer my data from my old phone.
To do this I use Neo Backup.
It needs root rights to work properly. So I followed the official procedure for unlocking the bootloader, then the instructions in the following post to install Magisk.
Out of ignorance of the risks, I wanted to relock the boot. When I rebooted, I got a warning message saying that the system had been altered and that it would not boot again.
Since then it has been stuck on the bootloader.
I did try to re-unlock the boot with the commands

fastboot flashing unlock
fastboot flashing unlock_critical

But every time I get the message :

FAILED (remote: ‘Flashing Unlock is not allowed’)

Do you have a solution?
Thanks in advance

Are you sure it is locked, because thats not possible when rooted? And for sure then you cant unlock as it is unlocked? Or did you remove root before relocking?

Hi Yvmuell,
Yes, i’m sure it’s locked :

$ fastboot oem device-info
(bootloader) Verity mode: true
(bootloader) Device unlocked: false
(bootloader) Device critical unlocked: false
(bootloader) Charger screen enabled: true
OKAY [  0.001s]
Finished. Total time: 0.001s

And it’s unlockable :

$ fastboot flashing unlock
FAILED (remote: 'Flashing Unlock is not allowed')
fastboot: error: Command failed

My mistake was this, i don’t remove root before relocking :sob:

A few news items.
Thanks to Murena’s support and for a very modest fee (€50 including postage), I’ve got a working phone again. I don’t know what they did to get it working again, but everything is OK.
I went through the rooting process again and everything went well!

Many thanks again!

5 Likes

Could you please explain what exactly you did? How did you contact Murena and what did you tell them ( I have the same issue because I was very stupid and forgot to tick “OEM-Unlock” in dev options before installing Magisk)?

And another question (I now the answer but I still have a spark of hope) did they have to wipe the userdate? I aks because I have mutliple 2FA Accounts in Mauth on the FP5 and nowhere else (although I might get most of them working again).

I should be angry because my phone is currently unusable, but I think its great that I can’t repair that: It’s a security feature, if I can circumvent it, the bad guys most certainly can do it too.

Hello,
I have contacted Murena support via the contact page: Contact Us - Murena - deGoogled phones and services
I was then able to talk to the support team by email. They asked me to take a few more photos and to try a few commands (the same ones I had already tried). Once all the solutions had been found, we moved on to after-sales returns. I paid “Fairphone 4 OS reflash (return shipping included)”, the title is not good but it does not matter. I received a UPS return label and within a few days the phone was back as good as new. So yes with all user data erased.

I don’t agree that it’s a good thing that we can’t fix it ourselves.
The Fairphone isn’t a high-security phone, I’d say it’s more for hackers. So it should never be bricked.

In any case, good luck to you with the repairs.

1 Like

For the record, I did receive confirmation from Murena support that the phone could not be repaired by myself. So the return to the after-sales service was essential.

2 Likes

Just to ask, having a screen lock set up is no problrm in this case, because they will erase it anyway, right? (Just in case)

Absolutly. Its a factory reset.
It come back like a totaly new phone.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.