FP5 - Battery Life

Yes, you’re absolutely right. I reinstalled the app. The thing is it seems to need longer cycles for accuracy. Thanks anyway for your feedback, and support, happy holidays:)

I would like to discuss a possible fluke with this conversation. I had my phone on my charger one night a few nights ago. When I went to take it off the charger. The battery said it was 80% charged. When I unlocked the phone. The battery percentage changed from 80 to 100 percent charge just like that. I consider it a fluke incident. I just thought I’d mention it due to people having battery issues and it might be related to this issue in some way.

1 Like

First, apologies because this feels like a superficial response to what is already a very in-depth discussion; I did a couple searches within the thread, though, and read 100+ posts, and didn’t see much said about Wi-Fi calling or NFC.

I had been noticing a bit more battery usage than I would have expected on my FP5, but hadn’t gotten around to troubleshooting it. Separately, I turned off Wi-Fi calling because it didn’t seem to be working reliably, and as soon as I did so, I saw a significant improvement in battery life.
A few days later, I decided to have another look at the little services running in the background, and also disabled NFC. Again, it seemed like there was a noticable positive change.

So, maybe not very helpful, but just in case.

I don’t use my phone that heavily, and I’m now seeing around 40% battery decrease across almost a full 24h.

I ran a test myself, with 5G enabled. I charged until 100% battery, then unplugged and waited until the battery went down to 30% (where my energy saver is set to switch on which de-activates aod anyway).
Note I did not actively try to have the same use pattern throughout the entire time. Here are my results:

With the “Always show time and info” toggle disabled (i.e. no always-on display), I get a reasonable 2.5 days of battery life (100% to 30% measured plus 30% to 0% estimate not taking battery saving into account).

With “Always show time and info” set to true, these are the results:

The aod reduces the battery life to a little over one day. Note that the first 6h, my night mode was on which reduced the impact of the setting (you can see the kink in the plot very well).

Switching on always-on display for me reduces the battery life by more than 50%. That’s quite a lot.

All carefully gathered info is useful, and when improving battery life, every bit counts.

I now have evidence that points to excessive (to my mind) consumption of power when using the proximity sensor over long periods. This would occur for instance:

• when using AoD
  • when using some tool that turns the screen on by activating the proximity sensor such as Kinscreen (or, presumably, Waveup that I don’t use).

I have adjusted a setting in Kinscreen so that it only keeps the proximity sensor on for an hour. Since then, consumption in Aeroplane mode over night goes down to 0.4%/h. Previously that value in AP mode was 1.1%/h which means that keeping the proximity sensor on, was using 0.7%/h which I call excessive. Nothing like that on the FP3 and FP4 I don’t think. If I don’t use the phone for a period during the day I will see a similar difference.
I’ll try and post more details, I’ve accumulated a lot of data but collation takes so much time.

These findings concur with what I read in posts above

I can definitely confirm that with wave up the screen does hardly ever go into deep sleep, which has been discussed before. I am not sure about the battery drain so much.
I also wonder if that is not connected with the thread on black screen

FP5 doesnt seem to turn OLED pixels off when displaying a black image/video

In the last couple of weeks I had to rely on my phone a bit more and sadly I also have to report, that if I do nothing else, but listen to spotify (already downloaded songs) and answer some messages, and read some news, the phone really struggles to get through the day. While Accubattery usually reports ~9-10h of screen on time, it went down to 6h. It also got noticeably warm, even when I was only listening to music.

So I do hope there is some way for the developers to fix this, otherwise I’m a bit scared about the longevity of the FP5.

Do you have AoD enabled? I have it disablded and dont notice what you describe (edit using Spotify since hours and FP is cold)

2 Likes

Have you checked which apps were the main power consumers? On my FP2 I noticed that Spotify alone is able to heat up the phone and consume quite some energy. I’m not saying that apps that do something should not consume any power, however just playing music shouldn’t be too exhausting…

I’ve noticed my FP5 battery drained twice as fast lately. I wonder if another bug happened after the most recent update. Now mine only lasts half a day now instead of a full day of use. Of course I recently got a Google Pixel Watch this week. It only uses Bluetooth to sync. I don’t have a cell plan with this watch, so it mainly relies on my phone. Even that shouldn’t take about six hours of battery life out of the phone before charging it. I’m just saying it’s unusual for the battery to drain that quickly. Even I don’t have AOD on. So something is causing it to drain a lot faster. I don’t expect it to get any better with my watch connected to the device until a patch resolves this issue.

1 Like

Hi,
I think it’s useful in this thread (and more widely) to state the Build number, thanks!
In your case I think that the connected watch, leading to regular or constant Bluetooth usage may be contributing. Remember that having BT switched on, but not connected actively to any device, and BT on and constantly connected to at least one device, is likely to make quite a difference.

I presume you’re using the Pixel Watch app? Have you had a look round for similar cases like this one maybe?

After Charging a couple of Hours

The rest of the day usage.

Just a reply. I’m on the latest release of the Android 13 firmware. FP5.TT40.A.131.20231130 as of this post. I’m aware that I got a day of very heavy use without charging. just paring the GPW2 has had shortend the life by a long way. since you people need a daily usage to tell what is going on. It appears Play services, QuickStep, and Fitbit are running extra resources in the background. Just leaving it on the charger took a while to charge it back up.

1 Like

AOD was off, also not using 5G. The one time, I was able to observe it pretty well, I was in a train for ~8h and mostly connected to a Wifi network. But other times, without wifi the same thing happened.

I think firefox did take a big chunk, but usually “mobile network” is also a pretty big contributor. Much more than I’ve seen on my old phone.

If I use it like I did before, so not playing music via bluetooth and just picking it up now and again to check on things, I usually only use ~40% battery per day. Maybe less.

Now I have a FP5 with a faulty battery since yesterday:

When FP is charging or fully charged and then disconnected from charger it reboots every time. This is reproducable with an Apple 20W charger, a Samsung 15W charger, an Huawei 15W charger and an 4Smarts 100W powerbank. Charging is weird: it jumps from 30 to 90 percent in half an hour in economic charge mode without getting warm. After disconnecting the charger (and the reboot mentioned) the battery drops 50 percent in 34 minutes without using the FP at all and without getting warm as well. I removed the battery for half an hour as described in Fairphone’s FAQ but that did not help. The “USB/Charger” check in the service menu (##2886##) says “Current: NOK”. I opened a ticket and hope that Fairphone will send a new battery quickly.

Yes, that pretty much sounds like a battery defect and should be an entirely different issue than the one discussed here. I hope they’re able to help you out quickly.

My week-old FP5 loses about 15-20% of its charge in 8 hours while idle (overnight, not plugged in). I’ve read through this topic and turned off AOD, tap to wake, pick up to wake, wake screen for notifications, bluetooth, wifi, location, mobile internet, nfc and closed all apps. The only thing that really makes a difference is airplane mode, which brings the drain down to 4% (but isn’t a long-term solution). Does anyone else experience the same thing or does this indicate a defect maybe?

1 Like

Did you try to switch from 5G to 4G?
Do you possibly have a week mobile signal reception? This might increase sending power of the phone.

It occurs even when mobile internet is turned off, so I don’t think switching from 5G to 4G would make a difference. I have noticed on other phones that mobile reception in my place isn’t the best, so that’s probably it. However, other phones drain much slower under these circumstances, so it seems to be a Fairphone specific problem… For now I can work around it by turning on airplane mode and keeping wifi on since my mobile provider supports wifi calling, but that only works when I’m home, so it’s not perfect.

1 Like

I’m not too sure about that. The difference is not only in mobile internet here. So I’d at least give it a try.

Yes, at least better than nothing!..

A post was split to a new topic: FP5 Akkuverbrauch