FP4 - worth purchasing? (asks a burnt FP2 user)

Are people happy with their FP4 and feel it will work well for the duration of the 5 years (assuming some repairs?)

The reason I ask is that my FP2 was pretty buggy-- two died and were replaced, and the third was pretty buggy, even after various repairs.

I bought a secondhand Samsung, but the screen is going and I’ve only had it two years. If that’s the duration to be expected, maybe I should just buy a new Fairphone?

Thoughts very welcome!

You may want to read similar topics that have a lot of opinions.

Sure it a bit laborious to read but then having another topic is onerous for those that reply maybe and more labour for those that do look for answers rather than ask the same question yet again.

Check out the following list whilst you wait for some positive and negative vies and experience.

All the best

https://forum.fairphone.com/search?q=buy%20an%20fp4

1 Like

not happy with the system on it due to the annoying google involvement
lots of messages when disabling play services!
very happy with the phone itself
now have ubuntu touch on it but no sound and some other flaws
desperately in need of a working system that somewhat more gives me the idea that it is my phone and not the system’s

1 Like

Are you trying to disable the Google Play Service app entirely and yet still use some of the embedded service?

I can see 13 major services many of which I don’t use, so overall it’s not a problem, I have no Google account so many just don’t apply. I don’t regularly use location, only when at home to temporarily connect to a device and I don’t require a mobile network or Wi-Fi or GPS to use location. In my case it uses bluetooth.

etc. etc.

I’m very happy with my FP4 (running CalyxOS) and I know that my family member is happy with a stock FP4.

But, there are bugs, quite a few, and from what I’ve witnessed over the last 1.5 years I’m not very confident that they are getting resolved soon. I’m thankfully not affected by most of them, or there are workarounds I can use, but if you want a phone you don’t have to fiddle with and that just works™, this aint it.

I’m still confident that those two FP4s will make it to 5 years and beyond, but at the moment I wouldn’t buy one. 5 years from today is a lot harder than 5 years from when I bought them in 2021.
If you can manage to keep your current device going, I’d try to make it to the FP5 if I were you.

7 Likes

have installed ubuntu touch and see no sign of google apps and annoying stuff so that would be okay
but have no sound on it and a few other flaws that ! have to figure out

have a great day anyway

HR

2 Likes

/e/ OS is one option therefore. Afaict everything works there.
With one of the latest version updates it’s now also possible to get a (G**gle) account registered if one feels the need for something contradictive like this.

after installing iodeOS on the fp4
no more problems and warning signs from certain meddling programs
the fp4 is truely a fair phone

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that has nothing to do with Fairphone as iodeOS isn’t a fairphone ‘thing’ and nothing anyway do with ‘fair’ it’s just an alternative.

But good to know you are happy :trumpet:

1 Like

Do custom ROMs solve some of the factory OS bugs?
One of my biggest painpoints are the not working Wificalls with DualSIM (also causes crashloops).
(rest is pretty ok for me, just minor stuff like the dimming bug.)
Everyone talks about privacy, but how is it about performance?

also there is an Issue Tracker since today:
Isnt everything but the mayor stuff. (except my wifi call problem^^’ )

This seen to be a combination issue of your provider using only O2 dual SIM I dont have issues enabling Wifi Calling and I use standard FPOS

The Telekom tech support also told me, that Vodafone and Telekom using different Wifi-Call standards.
Just one SIM works, but even if the Vodafone SIM is online (without Wifi-Calls) it can lead to crashes.
I don’t rly know how it works, because the Telekom support enabled Wifi-Calls remotely, then i had constant Wifi-Call on (not just sometimes) and after a factory reset its again just sometimes on.
So there is a lot of software happening in the OS?

But anyway, i never heard that this would generally lead to crashes on phones, so it will be a FP related software problem. The Forum also shows several provider related problems.

FP support wants me to turn in my phone… i mean, could be some sort of defect wifi module stuff, but i think the support guy just dont know whats wrong and told me to send it…
Maybe i can get a S22 from work as semi private phone, then i could give away my FP for some weeks and check how the SIM behave in the Samsung phone. (Probably without issues)

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.