FP4: The specs and your opinions

I’ve had 2 FP1s, two FP2’s and an FP3 but I won’t be getting the FP4. The size, missing headphone socket and missing sim card slot are deal breakers. I’m also not happy with the arrogance of making such major changes without reaching out to the use base, a poll on here would have seemed a logical first step.

1 Like

If I understood well, an e-sim can receive several sims so you can have more now than before and there still is a physical slot for a sim.

1 Like

Arrogance? Just because FP is smaller than others it does not mean they don’t look at the marked and consumer preferences. Such “polls” must be validatable so just throwing something out e.g. here in the Forum would rather not give something reliable I guess and the “base” is not only us (FP user) but also potential user. So a good own “poll” would cost a lot money. I guess the sales numbers will show if your priorities are priority for majority or not.

4 Likes

I think it’s a fair description, firstly there can be no argument that the 3.5mm socket omission is controversial, that’s proven by the discussion it has generated on this thread alone. Secondly FP are positioning themselves as a community, look at the text next to the FP logo above. So making such changes unilaterally without so much as a ‘hey we’re thinking of this what do you think?’ to their community is, yes, arrogant.

Whether my opinions are in the minority or not or whether this is good for FP are irrelevant to my point.

1 Like

Bit late to the discussion, but in general I love the look of the new Fairphone and the repairability looks amazing. The Soc looks powerful enough to last this time and the camera looks to be good enough to take some decent pics too.

I plan to take my current phone as far as I can (although the charging port isn’t too happy after getting some dirt in which is hugely annoying) before jumping ship, but this would now be my pick if I have to over a refurb/second hand model. I would prefer it to be smaller, I have a galaxy s10e as I prefer a smaller footprint in my pocket. If they ever release a smaller physical version then that would be me, sorted.

1 Like

No. This is the Fairphone community forum, not Fairphone themselves, although some Fairphone employees are members and chime in here sometimes…

4 Likes

I can understand, that people using the headphone jack frequently are not pleased, that it was dismissed. But just because some of them are here complaining very intensely, doesn’t mean, that it is missed by the majority of possible customers.

Secondly (:wink:) this is the Fairphone community, the Forum, that’s the reason for the logo above, not that the company intends to discuss every financial, technical and ecological decision with it.

In my opinion, that’s not a good base for a discussion.

5 Likes

If FP would lead the company as Pippi Longstocking is living her life, they would have vanished already from the market. Making me the world as I want is nothing good in terms of business management.

Btw I know at least as many people who already ordered the FP4 as are saying they will not due to missing headphone jack.

3 Likes

Why not? I didn’t say anything about whether this was a good decision for FP as a company or not so why is it relevant?

who created the community forum, hosts the community forum and links to the community forum from their homepage?

2 Likes

The one who has created and hosts/links to someone not necessarily is the other person/institution…

and again, I expressed no opinion as to whether these changes are a good idea for FP and will help market share. I wish them luck with it but for me it’s not a phone I want to own.

1 Like

Maybe it’s a miscommunication, but for me your statement sounds like your are not interested in the opinion or arguments of other forum members, or if you a part of a minority, only your voice counts.

2 Likes

I just imagine people getting upset about broken internal audio jacks and therefore demanding Fairphone to stop integrating audio jacks in their phones…

Nooo, apologies if thats how it came across, I made the point that I would not buy the FP4, there were responses that my opinion was in the minority or that this was the best thing for FP4, neither of which related to my point.

I think that’s a bit of a stretch.

1 Like

well presumably they are complaining about broken headphone jacks because they have a need for them and can’t use them? would it not then be more likely they would demand better quality jacks, not their removal?

Hi @Joe67

The use of the word ‘arrogant’

Whereas it may be a word to use to emphasise your disappointment it has made you the target rather than your disappointment with Fairphone and a company or the FP4

Sure Fairphone didn’t poll the forum members but that is understandable, they are looking for new customers so poll the general public.

Maybe they got it right. i.e. (Not many people wanted a jack socket it would seem).

So if you apply the arrogance to Fairphone’s decisions about business financials then yes, but isn’t that the basis of business. Without assessing the sales and income there would be no business.

As sad as I was initially with the decision not to have jack socket, maybe it was the best decision they could make given the restraints they faced.

Sure a jack socket module may have helped, but again probably not financially a workable idea.

Form my view they have done over and above other with the fairtrade in the supply that all the other bits that are not quite you your, mine and others likings see rather trivial ~ as days go by.

But more of an issue to me are the responses to you which are subjected all as a consequence of using an emotive word like ‘arrogance’ . It’s a strongly word pointed at another, so you have been judged.

It’s a little entertaining, so thank you and I hope you will continue to contribute your views and opinions.
:hear_no_evil: :see_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:

1 Like

I am remembering my early days when I was child and ruined almost every (audio) jack I could find…

2 Likes

Fairphone are not primarily here to support our needs for a phone but for our desire to be fair. As such we are here for Fairphone’s trade ethics and sure some of us have to give or give up a bit more than we expected or like.

1 Like