FP4: The specs and your opinions

As usual, people think about what they miss, not what they gain. If there was no notch, you would not have extra pixels around it…

1 Like

But those “extra pixels” is just a taller notification bar. If that notification bar was able to wrap more icons and notifications in the bar, then sure, it has some benefits. You’ll still lose those front facing stereo speakers and dual camera setup. But that extra screen space not the case. You just have the exact same thing, but taller :slight_smile: There is nothing to gain. And in landscape mode you’ll gain nothing as well. Would you buy a TV or monitor with a notch?

1 Like

The notch is outside the visible area of a 16:9 photo or video. So there is a gain. Just imagine the display ends at the lower corner of the notch, then the extra pixels are gone. So that’s a loss, because you need to display battery and network information in the rest of the display.
A dual camera setup for the selfie camera? What for?

3 Likes

I’ve seen friends game with those dead pixels, it didn’t look pretty. Maybe it’s a setting as well. But losing out on front facing stereo speakers and dual camera really isn’t worth it for me personally.

Not sure why you see any loss as there were none in the FP3 and if you comparing to another phone that seems a bit odd. ?

2 Likes

But then the game uses the additional pixels too, Without a notch, that wouldn’t have bee possible. Again a gain, not a loss :wink:.

What do you mean with dual camera setup? For the selfie camera? The main camera is on the backside.

And which smartphone has front facing stereo loudspeakers? Even with a huge bezel under the screen, I have never seen loudspeakers there. And the FP3 with big bezels and no notch doesn’t have them either.

2 Likes

Feels like I’m just repeating myself here :slight_smile: I guess that means it’s time to call it a day.

Thanks for the clarification.

There’s 283 posts before that one, so apologies for the question but I didn’t go back to check, didn’t remember and wouldn’t necessarily assume what you were referring the ‘loss’ to :slight_smile:

I use a notch (hole) for work phone (with OLED), but I almost never have the device in landscape. It has never bothered me in portrait. I believe landscape if your focus is on the side with notch it is annoying on non-OLED. Because it stands out as assymetric. On OLED you won’t notice since screen near notch would be black.

Recently in news was Pixel 6 gets 5 years updates: 3 with feature, 2 with security.

3 Likes

After looking how this change of top module is made on FP4 it looks like it could be more future proof. Number of cameras might even be expanded together with back cover change. It could mean that this design might stay for much longer time and that later FP4 could even be upgraded with new main module (part with mainboard). I know this is pure speculation and wishful thinking, but that would be awesome.

2 Likes

I have to come back to this one :slight_smile:

Just got word back from Fairphone support, I asked them what Dual SPK was.

Dual SPK means that in Fairphone 4, the speakers are on the front (at the top of the screen) and the bottom. The two speakers work together, creating stereo sound when playing media content with audio.

Even though it’s not front facing, it’s still not bad!

2 Likes

Arguably it could be better than two forward facing speakers, especially in landscape mode with sound to the left and right, creating more separation.

Better indoors where sound can bounce of the walls, not so loud though when outside.

No, that’s not true. Front facing is still king. To get the same effect you have to use your palm of your hand to reflect the sound back at you again, and then still it’s not that great as having native front facing speakers.

The only benefit I can think of is when you have the phone in your pocket. Then the sound can blast upwards.

Those pinhole Speakers don’t have great sound anyway, that’s physically impossible. So it’s just a substitute, whether it’s front facing or not.

1 Like

During the launch event, the video about the FP4 showed a “Yours to improve”. Is it only for a future change of the camera module or anything else ?

Front facing is king, if you use the speakers. Easy to compare on MBP2015 13" (back facing) MBP2015 15" (front facing).

Meh, my Pixel 3 sound is really, really good. Compare that to an iPhone that has those “stereo speakers” at the bottom, it’s really day and night. I don’t use it all the time. But it’s a mobile phone. I want to be mobile. If I just want to lay down on the couch and watch a YouTube video, then good sound is really not too much to ask. Or want to cook something quick and have some music on, the Pixel 3 doesn’t disappoint. But I get the idea that it is too much to desire for in this community. Maybe it’s a case of not knowing what you’re missing out on :slight_smile:

I would always miss really good sound, as a decent headphone or Bluetooth speaker will provide. As already said, a tiny smartphone speaker will never be able to deliver that, no matter whether it is placed at the front, at the back, behind the display or wherever in the phone.

3 Likes

So it could be true.

Things that are not of your liking/agreement are not untrue but maybe unacceptable.

The issue was about separation and tone, not volume, hence the small room. Maybe I should have said a telephone box or a toilet:)