FP4: The specs and your opinions

This is the issue, what is affordable? Treating the supply chain workers just doesn’t come into most people’s specs.

Hopefully more people will dig into their pockets than expect other to dig in the mines for the consumers exotic makeup.

1 Like

The problem is that this so called fair phones doesnt become cheaper but more expensive. Not because of better salary, but higher specs. Thats why im.dissapointed. and I understand other people like it and FP needs money. For me a normal affordable phone would be €200 bucks and yes, thats just me. Now the difference are becoming bigger.

1 Like

Note quite true, although as profit is usually percentage based then yes the up-line vendors make the most, but the supply chain also makes more from new investment etc.

It’s the old business story, you have to have customers spending more to keep the supply chain slaves employed. There’s no gain without pain, so who is going to suffer, or suffer more ??

1 Like

Some (many?) people want to keep their phone many years with updates. Unfortunately, this is not possible with low specs except if you are ready to do almost nothing with it but then why do you need a smartphone ?

3 Likes

Good point, providing almost twice as long software support compared to the average Android phone surely also costs money, i.e. raises the price.

5 Likes

Sorry but we customers can’t compare a fair phone with a standard one just looking spec by spec and then its prices. One (FairPhone) has invest a lot in searching in remote places all over the world for fair materials and relationships (factories…) + as someone posted here, FP offers 5 years at the very least of software support. C’mon, only Apple gets close to this (not warranty) and that’s because they suck alll profit from their customers, from overpriced and not so fair hardware, labor chain, and then, software. The FP approach is wildly different, a small team that produces in tiny (comparatively speaking) batches… will take a lot of time for them to reduce per unit costs. That is, if they even can. Because there’s millions of people willing to buy phones, and fair sourced materials must be scarce for that demand.

I am backing them this time, as per CPU, I think the 750G should be able to last that 5 years and probably some more. Hopefully lots of people will join, and push forward a fair trend in consumer tech!

6 Likes

Sooo, one will be able to buy FP4 from /e/ directly :nerd_face:

7 Likes

So why someone started about a FP2 in a topic about the FP4?

I assume people read the topic and reply accordingly.

No matter what the majority does, using an unsupported phone is NOT safe.

Interesting, but who’s is to blame? The people using so called old phones, or the companies not sending out sufficient updates?

Totally depends on user and use. Whereas it is not recommend there are many user who what to do phone-banking. A few that want to watch dodgy videos and those who want to hide their message from others.

However I have yet to hear from anyone I know over 25 years still using old phones and new ones with bad habits that have ever had a problem.

But don’t be like me and my foolish friends and family, just be yourself.

No I don’t, I use plugged headphone in my car.

Versatility for me means that I can use what I have, and not needing to buy new stuff.

You are free to use whatever you like, I don’t even have the problem as I don’t have a car.
But if I had a car I would use bluetooth unless I was parked up and then use some wired headset, as I have an FP three , lucky me.

But even with an ancient FP3 whilst driving I would use a bluetooth headset.

You don’t have to read this thread you know… If you’re feeling pathetic you could have just skipped the post.

As long as you would drive a car alone, you could use the speakers when supported by the car…

Hopefully as you indicate the word pathetic may have been an expression of a feeling @kristijan_tkalec has/had.

This forum is for the people not the phone so such feelings are the greater part of support, and skipping the post and the problems someone faces is often the way to go.

Clearly someone may voice their concerns aggresively with ‘get over it’ or so and so ‘should’ do this or that.

But then what to do, ignore the person or try to engage or distract as a way of acknowledgment.

At least you used ‘could’ instead of ‘should’

So these topics often get to a personal issue, totally of topic but totally relevant to the notion of support.

Thanks for your continued contribution to the human condition.

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

No one is really to blame. At least when you look at what we systemically reward. That’s not open-source development, long lasting products and sustainability. The core problem is what our economy rewards. You can’t really blame people for chosing survival. Even though it’s practically wrong. We need a new economy. At least, if we’re really talking about ‘blame’.

3 Likes

Then don’t buy a new phone :wink:.
You can’t use the same old connections for ever. Sometimes there has to be a change, for good reasons.

1 Like

That’s a pretty good point, but then so is @incanus.
What each of us can do is adapt, that’s also being versatile.

If I didn’t have an FP3 I would buy the FP4 with an adapter. I’m versatile, phones aren’t, they are a particular setup with limited variable specs.

Not that I don’t empathise with your disappointment, I had much the same disappointment but have got over it.

I haven’t said I’m against change, I love technical improvements so much I studied engineering. :wink:
My point would be, and others have said it before, and in different cases: if it works, don’t fix it.
So when you want to add BT head buds options, don’t remove such an important feature. Unless there are valid reasons for doing so, of course, but reading 200+ replies hasn’t been completely satisfactory enough. Which is very unfortunate because applaud the team and their goals/principle, don’t get me wrong. But I’ll keep reading on. :grinning: