FP4 - Pictures Gallery

It doesn’t really make any difference. Take the one you feel the best and you like the GUI the most.

The 8,1 seems to be some kind of unsharp, though.

Then take 8.7 :wink:

That’s exactly what I do. I just wanted to share my findings so other may benefit from them, too.

4 Likes

No problem :slight_smile:

BTW, in the meanwhile i only use bsg on all devices.
This modder satisfy my needs the most. Best experiences with it

1 Like

Btw a new beta is out v10 :wink:

And don’t forget to deny all network connection for the app in network settings of the app to avoid connections to Google

2 Likes

Already installed :wink:

I’d prefer if we could keep this thread a gallery and have discussion about the camera quality in another thread @Incanus @UPPERCASE

Stock camera, first picture with minor Lightroom treatment.

7 Likes

BSG Gcam port

Nikita GCam Port

3 Likes
7 Likes

Am I mistaken or do the colors in BSG seem more realistic than in Nikita?

1 Like

Do you think so? I mean, I wasn’t there, but my first thought was that the blue of the sky in the BSG images doesn’t look realistic.

1 Like

they are def different…and I actually like Nikita more (agree with Ingo the BSG colours are too much for me, especially the blue). I made this picture (time difference approx. 8 seconds) a few days ago and only later noticed it seems it was taken at complete different days, from the sun-shades. Unfortunately I dont remember how it was in reality…

BSG

Nikita

2 Likes

Widescreen stock cam

Widescreen Gcam BSG

7 Likes

Ah yes, I noticed this with OpenCamera too: Using the wide angle lens results in a very visible distortion. :frowning_face:
Apparently only the stock app manages to use it correctly. I guess it remains unusable…

If those two example photographs were taken from the same position, I actually suspect the non-stock camera is the “correct” output from the wide-angle camera, with the distortion being what you’d expect from the actual wide-angle lens. The stock camera is then applying a transform to reduce the lens distortion, at the cost of some amount of angle. In the corners of the Gcam image, you can see that there are parts of the scene that are not within the stock camera image. Additionally, in the Gcam image, the distortion is smooth, as you’d expect from a lens, for example, the vertical lines on the door are all smoothly curved. On the stock image, on the left and right of the image, you can see the vertical lines shift back and forth, consistent with an inaccurate distortion correction transform.

The distortion of the Gcam image could be similarly reduced by an app able to do lens-database lens corrections; a parameter file for the lens might need to be generated.

1 Like

Sure, and I do have such a program, but creating the required lens corrections data would be non-trivial. At least way beyond my skills.
In the meantime it’s unfit for use, such a distortion might be tolerable for fish-eye lenses, but not for such a small wide angle lens. :frowning_face:
Oh well.

This is just rough, but you could try a = 0.011, b=-0.023, and c=-0.119. I’ll see if I can come up with something better later: it’s a bit of a challenge with such a wide angle lens to take photographs with straight lines, at a sufficient distance from the camera, going all the way across them.

Edit: I now prefer a = -0.03406, b=+0.1142, c=-0.3181. The following lensfun XML file should work with the EXIF data. However, it looks like the FP4 write the same lens make+model for both the normal and wide angle lens.

<lensdatabase version="1">
<camera>
        <maker>Fairphone</maker>
        <model>FP4 (FP4)</model>
        <mount>Fairphone4</mount>
        <cropfactor>5.4125</cropfactor>
</camera>
<lens>
        <maker>Fairphone</maker>
        <model>Fairphone</model>
        <mount>Fairphone4</mount>
        <cropfactor>5.4125</cropfactor>
        <aspect-ratio>4:3</aspect-ratio>
        <calibration>
          <distortion model="ptlens" focal="3.6" a="-0.03406" b="0.11142" c="-0.3181"/>                                                                        
	</calibration>
</lens>
</lensdatabase>
4 Likes

Stock wide angle

Nikita wide angle

I would say there is some strange red/pink coloring that did not exist in reality

2 Likes

Obviously the northern lights showing in daylight :slight_smile: