Camera & Camera2 API - missing features & bugs

That’s what I thought at first, too, but if FPOS says in the camera2 report that it’s ID 0 and 2, it must actually be the wide angle camera. :thinking: Which apparently, as you describe, also does not work with ID 3. Or are you on a custom ROM?

:grin: :+1:

No, stock Fairphone OS. The only non-stock part is OpenCamera.
Oh well, it’s good weather outside, so I guess I’ll try tomorrow to discover if there is any visible difference between using IDs 0 and 3.

1 Like

Funny, my problem is the other way round, I found the wide angle camera but just don’t seem to find in in either Wichaya nor Nikita Gcam port. Maybe they don’t have it? How does it look like in BSG?

The 0.6 at the bottom.

3 Likes

In BSG it’s right there :slightly_smiling_face: :point_down:

Edit: Too slow :smile:

1 Like

Thanks a lot. My versions don’t have that switch.

You have to enable auxiliary camera (ID 2):

1 Like

Newer versions of BSG support that by default, you shouldn’t have to enable it manually.
Just tried the latest stable Wichaya and that enables wide-angle automagically as well :slightly_smiling_face:

@Ingo which version of BSG are you using? :thinking:

2 Likes

Thats for Nikita

Here some additional info available for BSG from 8.7 v11

I was on 8.1 for Wichaya which probably is too old. Not sure if I want to switch to BSG after seeing the recent comparison photos with (to my taste) unnatural blue in the sky.
But thanks to the pointer from Razem I was able to find it in Nikita.

2 Likes

The latest Wichaya (8.1.101 V 1.6) should work out of the box as well, I tried that one, huh, weird :thinking:

Yeah, pretty weird. In fact I was on 8.1.101 V1.4 and I now tried V1.6. It didn’t have a switch for the auxiliary camera by default. When I enable it in the extended setting I get the switch but it doesn’t seem to change anything, the image after the switch is just the same as before.
It’s not really important for me, I was just curious after the announcement that 3rd party app can now access the wideangle camera.

1 Like

Did the recent update fix this issue? I don’t see it marked as solved yet. Or is it just partially fixed? Didn’t follow the entire thread though.

1 Like

Just partially. We basically got access to the ultra-wide camera (without the lens distortion correction). But we still don’t have access to the full resolution (which probably won’t happen), the ToF sensor and the 1/8x slow motion. Also some apps (such as IP Webcam) sometimes still crash when using the Camera2 API, but whose fault it is is debatable.

3 Likes

Well, I’m glad we at least have access to the second lens. Sadly it still doesn’t support recording wide angle at 60fps. How is this even possible? The sensors are the exact same, why do I still get locked out of 60fps recording? I hoped using a different camera app would fix it but sadly it doesn’t.

I wish I knew this before buying the phone, as this would have been a deal breaker. How is this not listed anywhere? Spec sheet on fp website says 60fps recording, so I expect that on all sensors unless stated otherwise.

Don’t think there’s any difference. This additional ID has been in /e/OS since the beginning (for the FP4) (as it’s using OpenCamera as standard). There has never been a difference and they “fixed” it in the latest version by just removing the ID3 view…

1 Like

Hello,

so in summary, if I want to use the full camera capability, I’ll have to stay on stock ROM?

Yup. At this point you won’t have maximum resolution and slight fisheye effect on the wide angle cam.

1 Like

I’d note that these two problems are of different severity. The fisheye effect on the wide angle camera is likely just the unadjusted output from the camera, and can be adjusted later. For example, I posted a lensfun file here with some rough parameters for adjustment. It’s possible that this could be handled by third-party camera apps without any changes by Fairphone.

The 48MP problem, on the other hand, can’t be worked around, though it’s hard enough to use reliably on the stock OS to begin with.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.