FP4: Google-free Android

not 100% right

in LOS4mg the microG repo is included in f-droid store. not in /e/

The dark one is /e/ OS on FP4
The light one is LOS4mg on OnePlus 6T ( I didn’t add the microG repo not manually)

1 Like

You’re right, that was too general. Edited (hopefully better).

1 Like

That’s well detailled thanks. Just to be sure, and because I’m a bit slow, and also because I don’t want to make the wrong decision:

→ If I were to flash /e/ OS on my FP4 now:

1. I would probably not be able to flash openGapps on top of it since it would conflict with microG ?
  2. I would probably have trouble to get Google Maps to fully work (ie with login/ratings/etc. features) with microG ?

Edit: you actually already answered in your previous comment:

I guess it’s a territory of uncertainty then.

Correct. This will definitely not work.

Correct.
It’s worth a shot. To give microG credit, many users can use many different Google-dependent Apps without much trouble with it (I’m using some, too). But you have to be aware that you can’t really rely on it 100%, it’s more like a bonus.

1 Like

You can flash MinMicroG which will add a working Playstore.

Got you. It’s a shame I’m so dependant on GMaps, I guess I could “make it work” with the browser version though… What about Waze ? Isn’t it somehow google dependant ? Living in a massive traffic area I like my alternate road options to be accurate…

On top of the already system-embedded MicroG ?

Yep, wasn’t a problem. I used Magisk to install the zip

1 Like

You can use Aurora Store as an alternative client to the Play Store.
Does the additional stuff MinMicroG can install help with App compatibility in general, or is this just there to make the Play Store work?

It does allow you to use in-app purchases which won’t work with Aurora

4 Likes

Google Maps works fine even without microG nor OpenGapps.
I have microG installed on my Xiaomi for a year and a half and more than 95% of apps work.
And google maps works without any problems.

Welcome to the forum.

You didn’t say what OS you are using though ?

On my Xiaomi I use Havococ (fork from lineageos) with minmicroG. But the OS doesnt matter for app compatibility, only if you are using microG and what version.
So /e/OS, Lineage4microG, etc all have the same app compatibility.

1 Like

Thanks for the hint!

1 Like

Anyone could confirm if app SecurID from RSA security will work on /e/ OS ?
Also, what about french Corona app “Anticovid”?
Any feedback would be much appreciated :slight_smile:

Can’t say anything about SecurID but the covid app seems to be working

1 Like

…that’s how I did it as well - actually it is a quite nice system right now, with mainly apps from F-Droid :wink: The rest comin from Aurora oder via PC and apps.evozi.com :wink:

1 Like

BTW, in case you did not notice yet, the privacy-sensitive and easy to setup CustomROM CalyxOS will be supported:

1 Like

There are a number of topics on this, but the most recent points out a few gripes.

https://forum.fairphone.com/search?q=CalyxOS%20

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.