FP4 and (unofficial) LineageOS

Seems that we have a merge conflict again? :thinking:

What does that means: Uploaded patch set 7: Patch Set 6 was rebased. ?

Not anymore, got rebased today. The only thing missing now is the code review. So let’s hope LOS 20 release isn’t that far away!

edit:
With this changeset, a whole lot of devices is promoted to LOS 20.
https://review.lineageos.org/c/LineageOS/hudson/+/340461
So it’s probably close!

6 Likes

Have you managed to install TWRP onto the FP4?

If only that were the solution to every problem.

Yes, there’s a post with a partially working TWRP for FP4

It can’t decrypt but it does the job for flashing NikGApps. For some reason it can’t sideload LOS. So basically every update I have to:

• flash LOS recovery
  • sideload LOS
  • flash TWRP recovery
  • sideload NikGApps

Just installed Linage-20.0 and it all went smoothly, came from /e/ and used their recovery as it’s just a lineage rebrand. Also installed MindTheGapps without any issues.

Would be great if backing up to a NFS or SAMBA share was possible.

2 Likes

There seems to be a bug in the LOS19 camera app: when selecting the back camera resolution, options include 4:3@12MP (which should be 4000×3000 pixels). When I take a picture in this mode, the resulting picture shows only a portion of what is in the preview and has a size of 2976×2232 pixels (which is roughly 6.6 MP). When I choose 16:9@8.3 MP, the picture taken corresponds to the preview and the resolution is roughly what I selected.

Not sure where else to report that – since this is an unofficial LOS build, the LOS folks will likely close a bug report for this as soon as I open it.

1 Like

I use Unison (GitHub - bcpierce00/unison: Unison file synchronizer) to mirror my phone storage to my file server, to which Unison connects via SSH. The phone needs to be connected to my PC via USB and have file transfer enabled. Both my PC and the file server run Linux.

Anything that can be mounted works, including SMB and NFS (depending on your workstation OS). However, SSH with Unison installed at the remote end is fastest as server-side files are scanned on the server.

Another option might be Syncthing (https://syncthing.net/), also a file mirroring tool. Install it on your phone and your PC, share your phone’s storage (if that is possible – else you will have to share folder by folder) and an appropriate backup location on your PC (not sure if SMB shares work on Windows, you might have to mount them as a drive).

It’s less about the user storage and more the phone settings, call, texts and app configuration. Google does a great job at this but I’d like to avoid if possible. Will look into Unison

For apps and their settings, Neo Backup backs up those to internal storage. Run Neo Backup just prior to syncing with Unison, Syncthing or similar, and you have a backup on your PC.

For text messages, there are some SMS backup apps on F-Droid. I used one of those to move my text messages over when I switched phones. Again, they rely on internal storage – export before syncing with your PC, and you have everything backed up on your PC.

For contacts, calendar and tasks, you might consider running an CalDAV/CardDAV server. As a side effect, you can also sync these with multiple devices, such as your e-mail app on your PC.

Doesn’t LineageOS ship SeedVault as well, which should be able to back up SMS, settings, calls, contacts and (most) of the apps + config? :thinking:

You can use that with Nextcloud or any filesystem based solution like syncthing.

(You will still need Neo Backup for apps, that have backups disabled in their manifest.xml)

1 Like

neo needs root, was excited when I first saw this. Use a local baikal server for contacts and calendar, fantastic upgrade.

I’ve been trying to follow this thread since it was opened and am using my Fairphone for a year now.
I know that it’s not easy to answer when LineageOS will be officially be available for FP4, therefore let me ask it differently:
With the current state, would you just start using the unofficial builds (like nearly everyone in this thread), or just try and wait a couple of weeks more?
I’m at a point where I’m really considering to start working with the unofficial build because I have some other plans in mind that I wanted to do, but waited for a moment where I “reset” the phone anyway.
I will also try to follow up on the recent replies over the weekend, but would really appreciate some feedback.
Thanks!

1 Like

I am in the same boat as you. Once the FP4 lands in LOS proper (merged after code review), I do not see any real reason to stay with the Fairphone releases, due to the lag in those releases.

Basically, I would wait for either hell to freeze over and magically Android 12 appears, or just wait (it’s almost done) for the FP4 to land in the LineageOS.

1 Like

I honestly don’t see the point of not going to unofficial builds as they pretty much work perfectly.
Moreover, as discussed a bit higher in this thread, the process to upgrade from unofficial to official without wiping is pretty much just a matter of running a script, so there’s really no point in waiting forever if what you really want is LOS.

4 Likes

@tripplehelix The problem with seedvault is already fixed. I have a working build here that I would like to share but currently cannot upload anything to androidfilehost because their upload function is broken for me. Contacted their support already two weeks ago but no one replied so far.

So far LOS 20 is stable for me. I upgraded from LOS 19.1 on October 10, which was stable before too. The only issue that all custom roms have currently is that not all features of the camera are usable: Camera & Camera2 API - missing features & bugs
If a limited camera is fine for you, I would say try out an unofficial build. As @Aaanze already said, once the FP4 gets offical LOS 20 support it should be just a matter of running a script to migrate: FP4 and (unofficial) LineageOS - #383 by mmustermann and FP4 and (unofficial) LineageOS - #386 by mmustermann

4 Likes

In my experience, LOS 19 is stable on the FP4, with only a few minor glitches (such as the home screen occasionally leaving space for the notch on the right although the phone is in portrait mode). As far as I know, the only reason it was not released officially is that LOS 20 is just around the corner and the devs did not want to maintain LOS 19 for just a couple of weeks.

Whether this unofficial LOS is a good choice for you depends on your use case and how much risk you are going to take. Mine was that I had just bought the FP4, replacing my OnePlus One (running LOS 18), I wanted to stay with LOS and never used the official Fairphone OS.

If you are already using your FP4 with the official OS, the question is – do you need any particular LOS features, which the official OS lacks? If so – you’d be switching over to an OS which is fairly stable, but there is no official support – the LOS folks will not accept bug reports for any device which is not officially supported. If you don’t have a particular need to switch over, then I would personally wait for an official release, since I am a cautious person and would rather not touch a running system.

2 Likes

IMHO always jumping to the bleeding edge doesn’t help to get a stable system. Stability should have priority over the latest features. It would have been a better decision to get LOS 19 ready and feature complete before continuing with the next tasks …

I have my FP4 now in productive use with the stock Rom, although I would much rather have official LOS. With that situation I’m also much less likely to be able to contribute to the development and testing, since I can’t switch Roms every other day.

2 Likes

OMG, I did it, and I’m surprised how easy it was for me!

I’m now sitting in front of my freshly install LOS 20 from @mmustermann with mindthegapps (13) and starting to setting it up.
No matter how many issues might still be in front of me, I’m super thankful for this forum and its community!

Thanks for all those nice and cool contributions that also enable an Android noob like me to have a smooth running system of their choice!

Edit: Getting permission errors while e.g. trying to download and install fdroid.
Edit2: Seems to be something I missed with the instructions for the LOS 20 build (I foolishly ignored the error libfs-mgr tune2f is missing because the format data still “completed”). As it’s after 1AM for me now I’m trying the same with the version 19 recovery which seems to work (at least not showing that error)) - Sorry, already a sleepy, but too excited to let the topic sleep for now :smiley:

8 Likes

Hello,

I have in the idea to install the LOS 20 from mmustermann during the week-end. But unfortunately it seems that the download server is no more accessible for the LOS 20 releases.

@mmustermann have you any news from Android File Host regarding the upload of your last release?
Also the release of the 10.10.2022 seems to be unaccessible.

Is there any solution to get a release?

Thank you in advance for your feedback