FP3 Slow Charging

This should not be an OS issue, so I guess this wont help. But see my other answer in the separate thread that you have opened.

Best wishes,
Thomas

1 Like

That’s not standard. The usbC has two sets of pins, set each side in reverse order so it should not matter which way it is plugged if if you have a fully wired cable. That is the whole purpose of the wiring so there is no issue about which way it is plugged in.

Though i have the recommended FP IF cable charging rate isn’t yet a stable issue. :frowning:

1 Like

Same problem here. I also only get a normal charge when I link ir a couple of times.
But i need to mention, it seems not to be a problem using the Samsung fast charge adapter of my girlfriend.
So i was thinking It had something to do with the Fp3 maybe very specific on the charge voltage / amp?

If that’s the case then it would seem to be your charger. When using your girl friend’s charger do you also use her cable? Have you tried mixing the charger and cables?

And what charger and cable are you using and how slow is slow?

So you didn’t define the problem, so what do you consider a normal charge>?

I use a 12v to 5v Belkin car charger that doesn’t support quick charge. For the first six months it was charging often around 1% in 3min so at least 5hours, on the odd occasion I would get the Charging Quickly notification. But for the last month or two it seems to charge 1% in less than 1.5min and charges in 2.5 hours.

The ‘normal’ quick charge should do a 90% charge in 1.5 hours.

I did read somewhere that the two Power Control Integrated Circuit Chips on the core module have a learning programme. ??

both device and charger must support QC, otherwise QC charging is not attained.

1 Like

For me, it always depends on the charger and the cable. Sometimes it charges much faster when I turn the USB-C plug the other way around. The slowest I’ve seen was something like 50 mA (if measured correctly), usually it is 700 - 1200 mA which is fast enough for me.

I’ve had a (rooted) phone once where you could set the charging current with some app and override a limitation the phone performs for some reason (sometimes far slower than the specifications and charger would allow).

You do not have to, just plug out and in the cable several times until charging is fast. It seems to be a bottom module issue:

I did some additional testing.
One way of being able to compare some stuff is using the app Ampere. It does a mesurement of the charging.
Funny thing; the Samsung amd the fp3 both get about 470ma out of a usb splitter.
I connect a single usb charger;
The fp3 doesn’t start charging while the samsung goes over 1000ma

I’m gonna contact support with this measurement. Hope it is fixable, preffeably without the need to sent the phone.

1 Like

It is a hardware problem, another user had the same issue and received a new bottom module from Fairphone, and that solved the problem. Just make them aware of the linked thread above, this should keep them focused on the troubleshooting process…

3 Likes

Issue is fixed through the service departement.
The phone was shiped to France and the bottom module was replaced.
All chargers now work again properly. Even the once that first didn’t charge at all.

This is for me again a thing where the ability to fix modules is a reall plus, next to the good service by Fairphone.

8 Likes

Thanks for letting us know,. Good to read a success story of Fairphone support, let us see if they have improved…

1 Like

In my particular case, the peoblem turned out to be the socket converter I was using (in combination with a USB-to-USB-C cable).

Those white thingies with a USB opening that you plug into the mains.

Turns out some of them work fine for an iPhone, but if you plug in a FP3, the charging will be extremely slow, sometimes even de-charging.

We own two very similar ones. The slightly larger one works with FP3, the slightly smaller other one doesn’t. Go figure. Turns out I switched them.

s-l400

2 Likes

Usually just called “charger”.

Just a note to other readers to avoid confusion: the cable shown in wytzeschouten’s post above is not a standard USB cable. It’s a cable designed for charging iPhones and iPads and has a USB-A plug at one end, on the right in the photo, to go into the charger and a Lightning plug at the other, left, which fits sockets on the Apple devices. Don’t get the idea you could use this to charge a FP without an adapter of some sort.

5 Likes

Also to add that not not only Apple has those white charger shown above,.however I dont know, if the specs are same In addition also now Apple uses USB-C and the ipad cable and charger of the 4.th ipad generation quick charge the FP3 withtout any issues.

4 Likes

I have the exact same problem. Had my Fairphone for about a year and it always charged normally until a month or so ago. Now it charges extremely slowly. I have not changed the charger, and I have tried all the unplugging and replugging and what not that is suggested in the replies above. Do I really have to send it in for repair and thus be without my phone for weeks? Not very practical in these times when you need digital covid passes just about everywhere.

Hi ziwa.Welcome to the forum

I imagine you’ve read other topics that mention alternate cables and chargers etc.

And those that indicate a cleaning of module contacts and resetting them may help

It can be dirty USB port on the phone which isn’t that easy to clean.

The software options are few, a safe mode start and keep that for a day two to see if that may help, even the factory reset.

If you don’t want to try any of the above you’d best contact Fairphone as soon as, as they will have questions so it may take a week before the ask you to send it.

Have you tried contacting a #fairphoneangel near you.

By the way lately my phone is ‘charging slowly’ maybe 20% in an hour if

I just bought a used FP3 with the same problem. I already own a FP3 that charges quickly.
So I used the same charger and the same cable - the FP3 only charges slowly
Today I installed the bottom module from my working FP3 to see if it’s the bottom module-> no change still only slow charging.
I have 3 batteries. They are fine, because when I use them with my working FP3 then it charges quickly
So it can’t neither be the bottom module nor the battery nor the charger nor the cable.

yes, I did. I have two FP3 and I installed the working bottom module from the other phone but it still charges slowly

The power chip is on the core module. If the phone is under warranty, better get in touch with support at fairphone .

I have the same problem.
Does it help buying a new cable for charging?

Welcome to the Fairphone community.

As described here in this thread, it might help. But the root cause can also be some debris in the bottom module, a broken connector or a dying charger. So there is no guaranty, that changing the cable will help for sure.

2 Likes