FP3 - SD Card as internal storage - Data Lost

Thanks for the tips!

Luckily i made a raw backup of the phone bit over a month a ago with adb, and luckily the images and videos was included in that file. So, my real frustration is how badly the encrypted SD-card thing is implemented in Android, and the fact that is it near to impossible to recover it. Might be this way because they expand the internal storage instead of format it as a separate encrypted partition. Should have read more about the subject before i tried it out.

Strange observation was that the camera-app was not allowing me to store more data, even though I had more space left on deviceā€¦ I could still use signal to take pictures and videos. Why this limitation?

Anyway 15 years since I last time lost some data, due to erroneous ā€œrm -rfā€ command as root. Guess that karma finally caught up with me againā€¦

ā€˜Theyā€™ didnā€™t do anything, itā€™s a user selection when inserting the SD. It just so happens that a) the Internal option is the top|default option b) for those that donā€™t want to think about it.

For those more people with more simple and common use, then their personal videos etc. are encrypted, which makes sense. For those who are more able to manage day to day security of data they can choose the unencrypted option to format as external.

Iā€™m trying to estimate. Out of the hundreds of thousands of FP2/3/4 users I may have seen 100 people who have a problem with an SD card formatted as internal, how many people format as internal is obscure.

I had this frustration some time ago when my phone died due to a factory defect. The data on the card wasnā€™t recoverable. Luckily, I only lost a month of data as well since I also had a backup. Itā€™s rare to see people who do it regularly, many think of doing it only afte having lost one year of dataā€¦

Indeed you are right. If you havenā€™t stumbled on it yet, please have a look at the sdcardguide.

Wellā€¦ I canā€™t tell, I would believe itā€™s due to a bug which blocks the whole internal storage from working properly, more or less severly, and depending on the apps.

1 Like

Hi, I have had a similar issue - phone ran out of storage, so I added an SD card and chose the option to move the data to the SD card. Now all my photos are gone, I canā€™t take new pictures and I canā€™t download any pictures. Plus some of my apps are buggy. We tried photo recovery apps, a computer shop and I emailed Fairphone but they just pointed me here and advised backing up and a factory reset. I assume the photos are lost, has anyone got any advice? THanks, R

Hi nd welcome to the forum.

Regarding recover of photos etc. The cost of recover would be Ā£$Ā£Ā£%$ as the memory chip would have to be removed and decoded probably.

The option to move data to the SD card is not really the issue, itā€™s selecting expand Internal memory which then encrypts the data on the SD card.

All you can try is to uninstall any custom apps which may free up enough space to get the SD card to respond.

Also Iā€™m not clear about what you did.

• Insert SD card
  • Was it pre formatted?
  • Did you select to format as Internal
  • In or immediately after formatting did you select the option to move data and apps to the SD card
  • did you then immediately have a problem or was that later

Hi, thanks for the reply. Iā€¦

• inserted San Disk 128gb card as my photo storage was full
  • clicked the option to move the photo storage to the SD card (there wasnā€™t an option to format as internal)
  • as soon as I clicked it, the data and apps stopped functioning and still donā€™t

Any help gratefully received as they are baby photos and I am devastated, R

I would pay for data recovery (within limits) if I thought it would be possible to retrieve the photos.

You may have not noticed the format ā€˜catchā€™

Can you now not move them back as in. Removing the SD via the inbuilt option?
or
With the phone off

• Remove the SD card and insert in a PC
  • Read the SD card memory

If you can read it then is there a difference between the recorded size, not the advertised and the free memory: Indicating that the images or something has taken up space

If the usage is unreadable then you did format it as internal

You may notice that Android created a lot of folders on the SD card, check them individually.

if you can copy the whole saved files, readable or not then do that as a backup.

Once you have a backup try to restore via any inbuilt SD options, even if that means reformatting, it may provide an option to move the images.

Before you try moving them back, you will need space on the internal memory, so check how much you have.

• Clear the storage and cache of every app ~ time consuming ~ well ten minutes.
  • Remove any apps you can just re-install later

Hi thank you, the SD card is not readable by external devices, does this mean I have formatted it as internal? Thank you for your suggestions, we will try them and see if we can recover anything this way.

As, from what I can gather, your phone is still working, you can check the status of the SD card in the phone.

With the SD card in the phone switch on and go to
Settings > Storage

You should see an SD card entry
If it is portable you will see an eject icon to the right, if not then sadly it was formatted as Internal . . .
See

Hi, thank you again. The SD card is readable and has visible folders (most of which are empty) and there are some photos on there but a fraction of what I had. It doesnā€™t have an eject option though.

B is trying to help me, but doesnā€™t understand what you mean when you say about backing up and reformatting the SD card - how would you do this? The SD card isnā€™t visible when plugged into a computer.

We have contacted a data recovery service to try and get some of the photos back :crossed_fingers:t2:R

Ps apparently I have lots of space (now, because my photos are all gone) and the SD card is responding :slight_smile:

So it isnā€™t clear but with no eject icon then yes it has been formatted as internal and encrypted, so only readable on the phone.

You cannot remove the SD and start the phone without it without also having some more problems.

The SD is responding to what the phone or a PC?

Itā€™s functioning as an SD card (I think) but my phone is still not able to take photos or send and receive them in WhatsApp. I will reformat it but I first want to try and get the photos off it, via a data recovery service (if at all possible)

The SD card does not respond to a PC or mac

The SD card cannot be read outside the phone as it is encrypted to the phone.

You can access the phone via ADB (Android Development Bridge) Search the forum if you are not familiar with setting that up

Thanks, I will ask B to help

Also here the same annoying thing:
More space needed for holiday pictures. Inserted a brand new samsung 32GB sd-card. Hit the default ā€˜increase internal storageā€™. All photos, videos, docs etc disappeared. Camera wasnā€™t able to store its freshly made picures too. Most of the apps ran into trouble too.
Some people might be happy I lost some very usefull future wedding-party-material thoā€¦

To make the phone work again I had to do a full reset.

Reading the above made me curious if anyone had ever been able to recover the lost data?

My recommendation-slider for Fairphone goes a couple of clicks to the ā€˜notā€™-direction. Again.

Because you didnā€™t make a backup of your valuable pictures?

The human default is to consume without considering the consequnces, hopefully you will be more careful about the consequences of your actions.

As the eco freaks say, thereā€™s only one planet, screw it and you screw yourself, thereā€™s no way back so donā€™t worry and just start a again with more wisdom.

Hope you cope with the what you have unintentionally

Lots of lots, best wishes and remember the sun will shine tomorrow.