FP3 reboots during phone calls

I am going through the exact same thing - so frustrating! With my FP2 as well as the FP3. Doesn’t seem like there’s one solution though…

2 Likes

Any news on this? Was “safe” for a couple of weeks, then had reboots during phone calls again. So weird, cannot reproduce at all. Pros: Is there any way this can be debugged, i.e. through logfiles?

4 Likes

Hi!
same problem here, for the third time this happened yesterday:
after I had a phone call via my FP3 and the other person hit the red end button my phone shut down completely and I had to restart.
Not a big deal but stupid and it takes a while for the phone to restart.
This does not happen every time that the other person hits red button but now 3 times altogether over the last weeks.
Has anyone contacted the FP-people about this yet?

4 Likes

I have the same issue since some weeks, no substantial changes done (hw). I also experience issues with my headphone jack sometimes (no sound or squeaking) not sure if this is really connected…
Ps: running update from jan 20

1 Like

the random reboot at end of phonecall with FP3 problem still exists! Happened again yesterday.
Also, with the last reboot, I now have a notification saying (in German): select search engine. standard search engine for start screen and google chrome.
When I hit the feature button it doesn’t open, also, what start screen? don’t use google chrome. can’t close the notification, a bit annoying.

Are FP-people members of this forum and read here or would we have to contact them separately?

3 Likes

Lookst you here:

2 Likes

Yes.

Not everything, and, if in doubt, not the exact thing you want them to read.
This forum is not an official company communication channel.

This.

https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us

4 Likes

thank you @urs_lesse , but cant find the app. It’s not in my (alphabetical) app verzeichnis, I cant find it via search term, and also not in the general Settings. where should I look else?

Just scroll on in the topic I linked to. There are even more ways to get it done described there.

1 Like

Regarding reboots during calls … I might get an angry storm here, but anyway: When I hold the FP3 in my left hand like if I was having a phone conversation, my thumb rests on the power button. This is unfortunate, but anyway, quite obviously this is prone to causing unintended reboots. Of course it won’t explain all reboots, but at least some of you might want to pay attention to this next time a reboot aborts your call.

2 Likes

I don’t quite see this happening. If I press the power button, the phone doesn’t reboot but I get the choices Switch Off - Reboot - Screengrab.

1 Like

To directly trigger a reboot, it takes a very long hold of the power button, yes. But a shorter hold will activate the display during a call and then – without noticing it – you might tap on one of the choices with your cheek. I am not sure though if these choices appear in telephone mode as well.

@urs_lesse

Obviously I am testing this without a phone call at the moment, but when the phone is active and I tap the power button lightly, I don’t get the 3 choises, it just turns the screen to dark. I only get them when I press the button strongly / longer.
And I haven’t managed to reboot the FP3 yet by just pressing the power button, no matter how long. What about you?

So I would conclude it’s not the user’s fault that the FP3 reboots arbitrarily at the end of phone calls, but probably a FP bug.

1 Like

Yes, but if you were having a phone call, it would go from dark to active (the opposite direction).

It takes a very long push for me (10 seconds). But the indirect way I described is the much more likely way. However, I just tried it again and it seems that it takes a short push and an additional multi-second push to get the choices, so that makes the unintended “cheek-choosing” more unlikely in general.

1 Like

Well, I usually use my headset, so the phone rests on a table or so, and still there’s a reboot. Without any movement. So it sounds like a software bug to me.

8 Likes

FYI: I have seen reboots by other smartphones with Android when the battery is defect, for example: it is very old or it seems inflated or it has not the normal size or form.

1 Like

I would like to add that this might be as well be a general Android issue. Especially since Fairphone 3 is running a stock version of Android 9, I would also verify the suggestions given by Google on their support page on random reboots.

3 Likes

I have the same problem. You should be able to make calls withouth being afraid of a random crash during the call. Very annoying!

And you always get the same story. Maybe its your simcard? No, not possible. Maybe its your SD-card. There is no SD-Card in use. Maybe its your finger out of control. No, I use headphones.
But, maybe these products do have quality issues?

3 Likes

Hi folks,
I had three reboots during phone calls right after each other (then decided to call with a different phone, was just too annoying). A more close inspection showed: The headphone plug was not perfectly down the jack. I had a few other calls later, with a properly inserted headphone, and those calls, despite being half an hour or longer, went through with no problems.
Quick question to those having the problem: Do you use cable connected headphones?
Happy Easter and take care!
Hauke

4 Likes

Hello!
I got my Fairphone 3 in December and I had no problems. But lately it started to restart itself during phone calls. The screen freezes and a few seconds later the screen says Fairphone and then it loads. The first time it did this was two months ago, but this was just one time and it did not happen again after that until today. I was in a call for one hour and it restarted itself three times. Why does it do that? It doesn’t restart itself when I am not in a call. I have the latest security patch.

2 Likes