FP3 + or FP4 (I cannot decide)

Retracted speculation (falsified)

I have a green speckled FP4 lent to me by Fairphone for like two months now, and I very much doubt that it is just “coated” or “sprayed over”. The little corn-like spots in the green can actually be felt. Maybe the reviewer either misinterpreted dirt stains on the surface or perhaps even the large area NFC antenna on the inside.

EDIT: Withholding my judgement … have had a new look at

Fragile FP4 back cover

Trying to get some first-hand insight there.

Update: I'm retracting what I said before. I checked the green speckled back cover again, and the whole inside is black. You can directly see it in the spare parts shop photos. It actually looks like consisting of two layers to me now, or, as the reviewer said, coating.

https://shop.fairphone.com/media/catalog/product/cache/f951d578fe9eab859de9806fdcf92465/p/_/p_3a_back_cover_front_green_2.jpg

2 Likes

Good to know about the speckled green model, I was considering it but would buy green instead, durability is a must for me.

1 Like

I believe the three FP4 back covers don’t differ in built. You can see in the shop photos that the non-speckled green cover is black on the inside, too: Fairphone 4 Back Cover - Spare Part | Fairphone The basic construction is probably the same for all three, but wear-off might be less visible in the grey one because the visual contrast (grey vs. black) is smaller to begin with.

3 Likes

You are right, I just checked the grey and green one I have here and they are exactly the same color on the inside :+1:

How haven’t I noticed that before :see_no_evil:
In my mind the green one was completely green, wishful thinking I guess…

2 Likes

I bought a 3+ and received it yesterday. Because it’s developed a bit longer than the FP4 and is smaller, but has the better camera than the 3. Which was an issue for me, being used to a samsung A41 from my employer. I like the layout and the system works fine. And since I was used to android it’s not a big change. And with the current discount system you can find people on their facebook site who will help you get 50€ off…
Ad

1 Like

You might want to look into this to maximize what you get out of the FP3+ camera (the Nikita app version is often recommended):

Might make a bigger difference than the different FP3/FP3+ modules.

3 Likes

Well, that’s exactly how many stars would I give this device’s built and material quality on 1 to 5 scale. My demands are much higher. BlackBerry Passport quality level should be standard IMO. Anyways, take a look how pocket of my jeans modified the FP4 backplate in maybe less than a month without cover. It’s visible that green coating is not thicker than 0.2mm making it’s removal just matter of time.

4 Likes

The good news maybe that you have 5 years to complain to support and maybe you can over paint it to your fancy.

Personally, I would prefer the FP3+ over the FP4. I frequently use the headphone jack and also have two physical SIM cards. Furthermore, I like the design of the FP3+ more. And, after using it for more than one year now, it has proven as a reliable companion.

2 Likes

I am getting this wonderful patina on my gray back cover too. I love this “used” style

4 Likes

I have just bought a new FP4 and I have no regrets. The quality of the photographs I have taken are perfectly acceptable. Apparently a recent software update may have improved the camera’s image processing to solve some of its issues.

The graphics display, when scrolling websites, documents and watching videos is smooth, fast and responsive. My previous phone was a Samsung Galaxy S8 and I can’t tell the difference between them.

However, the lack of an audio jack lead is a nuisance, but I understand why it is absent. I use my phone a lot outside and the more entry ports a phone has, the easier it is for rain and dirt to find a way in. I have ordered a usb audio adapter which I hope is a convenient and reliable work-around. Otherwise I will need to order bluetooth earphones which look quite bulky, are expensive and potentially easily lost.

I chose the FP4 over the FP3 because the former is (at least on paper) supposed to be the better phone and because it will be supported for longer.

4 Likes

Hi David and welcome to the forum. Thanks for your views and let’s hope it outlasts it’s 5 year warranty, which I hope you registered for. :slight_smile:

All the best

2 Likes

Surely don’t wanna touch my phone with any paint, that could be really bad idea and even those best and most rugged coatings you can apply at home will least only few days in this scenario, leaving your pockets and everything covered in little color dust flakes. I tried.

The thing is, I lost my waranty due to custon ROM instaled and next month I’m getting OnePlus because better camera, unrestricted Camera2API, better apare parts access and better overal quality anyways.

Did contact support almost a week ago about missing Camera2API features and spare parts not availible, still no answer. This unit is for sale, if somebody interested, €300 or best offer. Will make listing today.

Thats not correct. You dont loose warranty by installing a custom ROM (as long as you dont brick the phone by doing this), you just have to install FPOS in case you need)FP support/repair and if you would have to send the phone to repair center to change the Backcover under warranty?

4 Likes

Thanks, didn’t know that! Anyways, paying for post services, not having my primary phone for few weeks and getting new backplate which will get ‘polished’ in next month again is no solution for me. I even have one more speckle backplate I did order with my phone.

Or maybe waranty is solution after all, I will do this three times and according to european laws they have to give me my money back because this flaw is simply unrepairable.

Dunno if I want to go through all this hassle however, don’t have time and will for such things.

Thats your decision just wanted to clarify for others reading here. Overall reading your comments, I doubt the FP4 is a good phone for you, as I feel it will never meet your needs/expectations, so using a different phone is most likely the best decision for you. However, other people have other needs and will be happy with the Fairphone.

1 Like

It isn’t at all. I don’t get easily hyped for products just because of their apparent ‘coolnes’. After seeing somebody beeing happy about low quality and calling it ‘patina’ and others liking it, I know for sure this phone isn’t for me and neither the community propably is.

Thanks for your time anyways, be well.

:wink: well done…
you took your decission.
Any opinion and claim is to be accepted.
Maybe you come back…bye

Yes flaws are not meant to be repairable, they are built it as a common factor, but is it just cosmetics you pay extra for the pretty cover and it 'aint so pretty now it seems?

As mentioned once you reinstall the default OS the warranty may well be valid, given other exceptions. And given your oft touted dislike for the phone it would make sense to try and return it. Unless of course that means you’ll not have such a fanatstic dvice to complain about.

That’s what the fourm is for ~ to respond to your emotional issues as well as trying to help with resolvable phone hardware and software issues. The forum is about the people not the phones. It just most of these people get here via being interested or having bought a Fairphone.

As far as paint goes, I put nail varnish on a phone six years ago and it is still there, however it isn’t in my pocket being giggled around for 6 hours a day. Still you can get some lovely warm colours.

Wow. Nail varnish mickey-moused phone must look absolutely beautiful… Would love to see some detailed photos. Because that’s what you do with a €650 device.

Normal phone should withstand at least 12 hours a day being transfered in a pocket. Not everybody are transfering their phones using guncases. Phones should be built to least.

Okay, that’s what this forum is about? Not a place for me as I don’t have any :smiley: But you had a great idea I have to admit, I will try to return it in the end. Bye guys.