FP3 + or FP4 (I cannot decide)

For the past 6.5 years, I’ve intensively used my “one of the first 10…” FP2. I’ve had a really good run with it, think I changed the back cover once, the battery twice and the bottom module once too.

It of course has the well-known hardware issues common to FP2 but the workarounds (thank you piece of paper lodging the battery in place) have performed well.
It is, however, aging pretty badly pretty fast now, I have about 1h of intensive battery use left (reading or listening to music) and I have about 15 random reboots every day. The camera app and social media freeze several times a day and crash the phone quote often.

So while I really wanted to make it last 7 years (like my previous phone, a Nokia N8) I think it’s time to upgrade.
I’m very much willing to stay with FP and cannot decide between the 3+ or the 4.
the main uses for my phone are camera, social media use and the GPS to keep me from getting lost when running

I hate making phone calls :smiley: and don’t use the phone for games so these features aren’t crucial.

So far the only arguments I can come up with are
*Price, in favour of FP3
*that green speckled case in favour of FP4 (shallow, I know, but it’s ssssooo nice)

1 Like

The FP3 has already been some years on the market. So if you want to keep the device again for as many years as possible (and I’d expect that seeing your FP2 time of use) I’d recommend to prefer the FP4. More expected years of usage may compensate for part of the higher price.

12 Likes

If you want to ride the horse for a long time then it should be FP4 saddled.

2 Likes

I recently changed from FP2 to FP3 and the difference is quite big. However, as mentioned before, the phone is already some years old and I would not buy it new, as long as I could afford the price for the FP4. I bought the FP3 second hand and had luck ,it was quite cheap (the second hand price is often nearly the price for a new one). So my advise would be: if you find somewhere a second hand FP3(+) (I would say for max. 200€) I would buy it, as I assume it would suffice your needs. If there is no good offer second hand and you can pay the price for the FP4 I would def. buy the FP4 not the FP3+.

5 Likes

I’m content with my FP3+ bought one year ago. When it comes to shallow reasons, I much prefer the clearer edges on the FP3 compared to the rounded edges on the FP4, as well as the much bolder colours the FP3 protective cases come in.

However, I agree with others that when you are going for which one should last you longest, the FP4 is certainly the safer bet. What has not been mentioned yet is that Fairphone offers you an extended 5 year warranty for the FP4 at no extra cost (for phones bought and registered with them before the end of 2022).

One point that might speak for the FP3+ again is that the FP4 has no 3.5 mm audio jack anymore. However, using an audio-jack-to-USB-C adapter you can use wired headphones as well as wired headsets on the FP4 (and bluetooth ones anyway). And to just mention it: The FP4 no longer has an LED light that would notify you of new messages, charging progress or the like in red, white, green or blue.

7 Likes

Ah ok, that indicator light is actually something I use quite frequently when using the phone in silent mode, thanks

3 Likes

In case you use two SIM cards you should also be aware that FP3 has two physical SIM slots and FP4 on physical SIM and one eSIM.

6 Likes

If it helps and you want to believe the equivalent of a 1-star review …

“speckle green verision is just black one sprayed over with green coating which gets worn off after one month of using.”

I haven’t seen a green speckled Fairphone 4 myself yet, so I can’t judge.

2 Likes

I would rather take the chance to buy this device and see myself for this price, as I think the seller has quite demanding opinions about what a phone should do, and for somone coming from FP2 the pictures of the FP4 will be great even if currently there are some issues with Camera2Api.

2 Likes

True, and the Camera2 API limitations currently affect custom ROMs, which aren’t the topic here for now.
That the green speckled look might wear off under certain conditions was the interesting bit in this.

3 Likes

Yeah understood , just wanted to point the OP of this post here to a probable cheap FP4 :wink:, just would ask for pictures of the middle frame, pretty sure the case would be replaced under warranty by FP

Retracted speculation (falsified)

I have a green speckled FP4 lent to me by Fairphone for like two months now, and I very much doubt that it is just “coated” or “sprayed over”. The little corn-like spots in the green can actually be felt. Maybe the reviewer either misinterpreted dirt stains on the surface or perhaps even the large area NFC antenna on the inside.

EDIT: Withholding my judgement … have had a new look at

Fragile FP4 back cover

Trying to get some first-hand insight there.

Update: I'm retracting what I said before. I checked the green speckled back cover again, and the whole inside is black. You can directly see it in the spare parts shop photos. It actually looks like consisting of two layers to me now, or, as the reviewer said, coating.

https://shop.fairphone.com/media/catalog/product/cache/f951d578fe9eab859de9806fdcf92465/p/_/p_3a_back_cover_front_green_2.jpg

2 Likes

Good to know about the speckled green model, I was considering it but would buy green instead, durability is a must for me.

1 Like

I believe the three FP4 back covers don’t differ in built. You can see in the shop photos that the non-speckled green cover is black on the inside, too: Fairphone 4 Back Cover - Spare Part | Fairphone The basic construction is probably the same for all three, but wear-off might be less visible in the grey one because the visual contrast (grey vs. black) is smaller to begin with.

3 Likes

You are right, I just checked the grey and green one I have here and they are exactly the same color on the inside :+1:

How haven’t I noticed that before :see_no_evil:
In my mind the green one was completely green, wishful thinking I guess…

2 Likes

I bought a 3+ and received it yesterday. Because it’s developed a bit longer than the FP4 and is smaller, but has the better camera than the 3. Which was an issue for me, being used to a samsung A41 from my employer. I like the layout and the system works fine. And since I was used to android it’s not a big change. And with the current discount system you can find people on their facebook site who will help you get 50€ off…
Ad

1 Like

You might want to look into this to maximize what you get out of the FP3+ camera (the Nikita app version is often recommended):

Might make a bigger difference than the different FP3/FP3+ modules.

3 Likes

Well, that’s exactly how many stars would I give this device’s built and material quality on 1 to 5 scale. My demands are much higher. BlackBerry Passport quality level should be standard IMO. Anyways, take a look how pocket of my jeans modified the FP4 backplate in maybe less than a month without cover. It’s visible that green coating is not thicker than 0.2mm making it’s removal just matter of time.

4 Likes

The good news maybe that you have 5 years to complain to support and maybe you can over paint it to your fancy.

Personally, I would prefer the FP3+ over the FP4. I frequently use the headphone jack and also have two physical SIM cards. Furthermore, I like the design of the FP3+ more. And, after using it for more than one year now, it has proven as a reliable companion.

2 Likes