FP3 fingerprint

Is it possible to remove the fingerprint sensor or get a backcover that blocks it?

I have owned every Fairphone and i really like the idea, i also liked that it didn’t have a fingerprint reader, for me not having a fingerprint reader is a feature.

I am considering PINEPHONE and the Librem 5 instead of the FP3 but for now i’m happy with my FP2.

5 Likes

If you do not want to use a fingerprint reader on a device all you do is you don’t register your fingerprints in Android. That way, it simply won’t work, and you need to authenticate via different means. Such as via PIN.

12 Likes

I don’t like the idea of financially supporting any bio-metric system, a module which could be removed would be much better so there could be a non bio-metric version.

6 Likes

There we are again.
Some customers will agree with you, some won’t, some don’t care.
A midrange phone like this can never be to everyones liking.
Still it’s valid, to let Fairphone know, what users want.
But buying a non-fair phone because of a feature like this - if the rest of the specs is fine -, that is beyond me, to be honest. But that’s just my very own reasoning.

When it comes to the fingerprint reader, I could have done without it as well with maybe a better SoC instead (most likely the fingerprint reader is much cheaper than the added costs for a better SoC) or a second camera or … But hey, that’s life. It’s no wishing-well, unfortunately. :wink:

13 Likes

I have been told by someone who currently has a demo phone that the phone can still be used when the sensor has been removed.

3 Likes

Do you happen to know, if there is a hole in the back-cover - as I would guess - if you remove the sensor?
Then you would need to close it or all the crumbs in your pocket will find their way into the phone. :wink:

I’ve asked for a clarification. Reading it again the post was not all that clear so I might have misinterpreted a disabled sensor as a removed sensor.

1 Like

Also i am wondering the fingerprint sensor is the only part on the outside that is not a module or easily replaced, are they so tough that they never would need a replacement?

Sounds more likely, as I would expect the sensor to be soldered in place.

I fully agree, biometric sensors of that kind are IMHO a privacy nightmare, I don’t want to support such a technology.

2 Likes

Well, I could do without this piece, too.
But it’s not as if you can’t cover it up with some nice sticker or something (“Biometrics? No Thanks” design needed :slight_smile: ).

If I was Fairphone, I would offer an optional back cover which covers this part.

5 Likes

But - other than a camera - the fingerprint-sensor will not transmit anything if you don’t use it.

Therfore covering it is primarily something to do for the look.
And it’s on the backside, where you usually don’t see it.
So, no need for me personally to cover it, either by sticker or by another back-cover, that would make the one I get with the phone go for waste. (And I would not expect that someone else might need it, as this part of the phone seem not exactly prone to breaking.)

Riiight. Fairphone in particular never ever designed back covers which were prone to breaking … people tend to forget so fast :wink: .

3 Likes

:rofl:
Good one!!!
I had mine replaced twice. :roll_eyes:
But, hey, the new design looks much less delicate.

Whereabouts on the backside? I have one of those covers where you slide the phone up to use the rear camera. If too low down I would never be able to use it.

Would be interesting to hear if Fairphone asked customers, if they want to pay for a feature like fingerprint sensor. I would bet, customers from Fairphone read enough about fingerprint sensor to be willing to even pay more fore a phone without such a “feature”.

1 Like

The current forum users maybe, but Fairphone is now using partnerships with operators and resellers to target the ‘light green’ customer too, to have a broader impact.

7 Likes

That is a problem, when people don’t know about that they have less legal protections (in at least some countries, especially US) for example when using bio-metric systems.

I think it is questionable ethic-wise to let people get themselves into situations where they have no idea about the consequences.

Searching a smartphone is more or less like looking directly in to the head and reading the mind of people.

2 Likes

I like having a fingerprint sensor and – for the record – I am even more hyped about NFC so I can use mobile payment with Google Pay. And still I am interested in a fair (as is as fair as possible to people making it), long-living, and repairable device that gets regular security updates. Frankly, suggesting that people who want such biometric technology because it is useful to them, are simply not well informed seems a bit ignorant to me.

8 Likes

Agreed!!!
It is the same as always.
The feature one abhores is a vital must have for another one.
So what?
Tbh: I really don’t get this discussions about what is, should have, would have or must have been considered or ignored.
Aside from a chosen few no one has laid hands on the phone yet.
Therefore it is a bit early in my opinion to start a list for “Wishes for a FP4” and the FP3 is a done design.
And from the press reactions and the readers’ comments, I have the impression, that FP has made it a really good package. To me it’s great the way it is, even if I personally don’t need e.g. NFC.

In the end there is a device for everyone - it’s just not the same one. :wink:

4 Likes