FP3 : Fairphone Open OS?

I suppose what I’m really looking for here are resources for people who would be willing and able to contribute to the development of alternative OSes for FP3. That’s probably a bit beyond the scope of this forum, but I’ll see if there’s anything happening over in the Ubuntu Touch and LineageOS communities.

Apologies, I didn’t mean my ill-considered post to come across as someone not who’d bothered reading - I know my hope is rather over-optimistic, but wanted to add my voice to those with an interest in an open OS.

6 Likes

Sehr interessant. Wäre auch schön, wenn Datensparsamkeit und freie Software auf dem Gerät bereits in der Entwicklung ein Ziel wäre… Es ist ja vor zwei Monaten so gewesen, dass sie jetzt “die Möglichkeiten Prüfen” etwas offener zu werden.

2 Likes

@FairOpenIsGreat da stimm ich dir komplett zu, ich bin auch ehrlich gesagt enttäuscht von Fairphone, dass sie vom vorgerooteten FP1 zu “if you root your FP3 you will lose the warranty” gekommen sind, das ist genau das Niveau der Konkurrenz, das sie sich ja eigentlich überwinden wollen.

7 Likes

Hallo @FairOpenIsGreat und @Stanzi, ich hab Eure Beiträge aus dem Topic für interessante Links hierhin verschoben, weil das genau hier Thema ist (und es auch keine externen Links/Informationen sind).

2 Likes

Danke dir, ich wollt eigentlich eh ein Topic suchen, aber ich war zu faul dafür :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I don’t understand why having access to root pwrmissions on a phone is such a big problem for both manufacturers and app developers. Naturally I have root access on my PC - where’s the difference?

I deeply hope that Fairphone reconsider their stance on this topic. If you can’t open it, you don’t own it - regardless of hardware or software. I won’t buy or endorse buying a Fairphone 3 when the software sources aren’t made public and no Google-free OS is made available. I can happily use my FP2 until there are no more spare parts available.

6 Likes

We need an alternative OS. I got a refund from Purism Librem 5, I backed the project but can’t afford a prototype phone that is almost a year delayed. My 4 year old phone was dead.
I’ve always loved the idea of a Fair(ish)phone, so now I own one. I hate dictatorships, so naturally I don’t like Google. Anyone here working with an alternative OS? I would like to support somebody porting an OS like Lineage or /e/.

2 Likes

I am with you in not liking google, but … dictatorship ?
Seriously?
You are free to chose e.g. iOS or the Punkt MP 02 with Android AOSP (google-free as it seems).
And there is this list of open source OSs (nothing new of course):

Finally you can use a dumbphone of course.

And based on the current understanding of “dictatorship” (according to the Encyclopaedia Britannica), I would guess, that everyone suffering from a real, i.e. political dictatorship would be happy having to endure Google only. :wink:

3 Likes

Totally agree, same idea here.

Fairphone needs to pay licensing fees for every unlocked bootloader. For the FP2 they kindly did this for all phones (although perhaps only 10% run an alternative OS,) for the FP3 they were reconsidering this. To whom these fees need to be paid, however, was not quite clear to me.

5 Likes

Haha :slight_smile: I know what a dictatorship is :wink: I apologize for having you take the time for clarification. I’ll leave a smiley next time to avoid this. It is natural to me to dislike google, just like anything/anyone taking away freedom. I’m locked if I want my phone to do more than just phone and text. iOS is not an alternative to me, just another lock-in. If you know of any OS that works on FP3, please let me know :slight_smile: Sadly that OS shall be based on android so I can communicate with my bank and government. Somehow software ended up making us all pay a small number of big companies a huge amount of money. To get back to my question- anyone here working on an alternative? Or know of someone I could support?

3 Likes

I don’t know as well.
But I guess it’s like a key or a software that you pay licensing fees for by the number of users.

Hmmm… Why not sell a key for unlock the bootloader on the fairphone shop. So the user can decide.

1 Like

The bootloader can be unlocked already.

6 Likes

Dear Jeroen,

It is a good idea to edit Office documents on a smartphone. I have a pocket computer since more than 26 years (smartphones did not exist at that time yet), and from the beginning one of my main applications (next to programming) were table calculations. And still today you can avoid programming a new app by entering a few lines of code in a table calculation. If there is a working OSS table calculation in F-Droid, I would be happy to use it. In addition, I avoid apps only on F-Droid and not on Play Store for security reasons. Please note that – while I am quite familiar with the technology – I give workshops on Smartphones, and I have to keep things as simple as possible.

Regards

Leonhard

2 Likes

I mean if anything F-Droid is far more secure then the play store, all the apps are fully open source and you can see exactly what the apps are doing, assuming you only have the stock F-Droid repos added.

Dear Wiggum127,

Thanks a lot for making me aware of the concern with CamScanner. I now use PDF Extra instead, Open Note Scanner misses both PDF output and multipage documents (if it will evolve in this direction, I will happily use and recommend it; I was even tempted to contribute these parts myself, but my knowledge of Java is quite limited). Please note that – while I am quite familiar with the technology – I give workshops on Smartphones, and I have to keep things as simple as possible.

Ecology is a big concern of any meta-search-engine, as for every search the Google search engine(s) consume power, plus the meta-search-engine. So it is a question of ecology vs. privacy. I myself use the Google search engine directly, but only in the private mode of FireFox (such avoiding tracking cookies).

Regards

Leonhard

1 Like

Really? Do you have a source for that? Not that I am not believing you, just that this sounds quite strange to be.

3 Likes

That’s at least what Monica told us at the #efct19.
Apparently they payed that fee for every FP2 sold.

1 Like

But apparently, they did. So this bootloader can be unlocked. I wouldn’t buy a phone where you can’t unlock a boot loader (as long as industry will let me, but then probably there are other choices as well).
Now eagerly awaiting either FPOOS or TWRP :slight_smile:

1 Like