FP3 and Camera+ modules problem: interference/banding (?)

Hello all,
I just installed the new camera+ modules on my FP3 with Android 10 (Build Number 8901.3.A.0045.20200905) and I immediately had an issue :frowning:
With the new module when I take a shot and the scene is illuminated by a led lamp I get an annoying banding/interference effect (please see the attached picture).
I have this issue with the stock camera app and with open camera.
It seems an interference issue connected to the frequency of the power line.
I do not have this issue if I use the old camera module.

Is it fixable? Any hints on how to work around that? Anyone else have this problem?

As soon as I can I will try to take pictures in different lighting settings and let you know (I hope this problem is related only to our specific led lamp).

Thanks a lot,
Michele

3 Likes

Welcome to our community forum! :slight_smile:

I think this is definitely something Fairphone Support should hear of. If you find the time, please write a support request to them so they can feed this into their software development team.

1 Like

@urs_lesse Thanks! I will!

In the meantime I did some more tests with other led light sources and it seems the only lamp that generates the problem is the one we have in our office. With the ones I have at home I can see the interference briefly on the screen ( < 3 seconds) and then it disappears. It does not appear in the saved picture file at all.

One of my colleagues has a One Plus Nord that has the same issue. So it does not seem a FP3 only problem.

Cheers,
Michele

3 Likes

Hej @banzo,
I have the same problem, with both new cameras (back and front) and all apps (open camera, stock, gcam).

I use the smartphone a lot to “scan and copy” documents, today with the new modules i recognized the annoying lines on the document.

I have Philips Hue Color light bulbs, with all cameras in the house I have interference lines, if I look directly in the light (FP2, Samsung tablet), but with the new FP3 camera modules it’s recognizable stronger than with the old FP3 modules.

Here are some pictures:

white paper:

normal picture

directly in the light

This is related. Back in December 2019 I noticed with my FP3 (stock, no new camera) that some strong banding in the image would occasionally occur upon the startup of the camera app in artificial lighting. After about a second, it would correct itself (my guess is there is some post-processing magic going on under the hood).

I see that you are describing a problem with an office light that is not correcting successfully in post. I wonder if perhaps there could be more transparency from Fairphone as to what precisely the camera is doing so that the correction settings could be adjusted.

1 Like

I was shocked to see the same today for the first time! I have the new module installed for about 3 days.

I didn’t have this issue with the old module at all. How can this be solved?
I need to scan often with the camera…

Pic attached.

Hi folks,

I upgraded to the the camera module today and I have the same problem.
Although, it fixes itself after a few seconds, it kinda breaks the idea of spontaneity if I want to take a quick video of a moment, I have to wait at least 3 seconds before the “banding” disappear.

Anyone found a solution since ?

Thanks a lot,

Given the original post, what OS and version do you have?

If you take an image without waiting do the appear in the shot?

Have you tried changing resolutions. I have a sceen with a 60Hz refresh rate and I get lines if i take a shot of the computer screen