FP2 Won't turn on or charge - See first post for troubleshooting


I have my FP2 for less than 2 weeks. Monday it went completely dark between 16h-20h. Yesterday it died at around 19h45 and it’s still not functioning now.

It won’t start up anymore, no matter what. If it is plugged in the led light will work. When the battery is in the phone feels warm, so it should be getting power. I tried charging the battery for a long time, removing the sim-card and battery multiple times, holding the on button without the battery in, still nothing.

I haven’t dropped it once, it hasn’t gotten wet, no dubious apps installed, or anything weird happend to it.

I tried waiting it out till now. I am lost and I would like help from the community or from the company.

Any idea’s?

First things first: Did you try (many) different cables?

Paul, I did indeed try several different chargers. I don’t have an unlimited supply though ofcourse.

You could try battery reset (see here) and if that doesn’t work contact the FP team to get your phone replaced.

Another thing worth a try, not wasting much time is to try press POWER + VOL UP + VOL DOWN at the same time for about 20 seconds.
This should trigger a reset (NOT a factory reset, doesn’t affect data). Seen it working on different Android phones with the same symptoms, so maybe worth a shot.

Also triggered a reset on my running FP2 :wink:

Best regards

Just got my FP2 five hours ago, but it would not turn on. (This is after 4 weeks of problems with Norwegian customs and shippers).

I have tried charging it with 4 different cables combined with three different sockets (5 if you include two computer USB ports), it still will not charge.

At first I thought it was charging, as the red light (top left corner of the screen) was lit, but after an hour it still wouldn’t turn on. After reading this and other threads I tried switching cables. On the nth combination of cable and socket the screen actually lit up! But it quickly shut back down, and continued lighting up and shutting back down as long as it was plugged in.

After trying all combinations of cables and sockets available to me, that is the closest I have gotten to a functioning phone.
Any ideas?

Update: I noticed that the screen was lighting up for a longer time when I had my FP2 in a tight grip. I tried removing the back cover and pressing the battery upwards (towards the pins) while charging. The screen kept lighting as long as I pressed. So I folded a piece of paper and wedged it as support below the battery, the phone has now been working for 2 minutes and counting… Not sure what to make of this, whether it is related to other problems or not…

1 Like


I just did that - just out of curiosity as I don’t have any problems with my FP2 - and it results in a screenshot, the volume rising to max and after 20 seconds a reboot. I get the same result if I press power + volume down for 2 seconds, then volume up for two seconds and then power for 20 seconds.

What exactly should this reset?

Its essentially a hardware triggered OS ‘hard’-reset, same as pressing the reset button on your PC.
It essentially overrides anything forcing the phone to reset as deep as possible without loosing data. Sorry for not being able to describe this better :frowning:
I first seen this work on a Oneplus One with the symptoms above and a few times on the Samsung Note 4 of my girlfriend which tended to hang up so nothing except removing the battery or this keycombo worked.

Also, when doing it in a running system: No warranty for volume settings and or screenshot as Paul mentioned :stuck_out_tongue:

On a iDevice its keep pressing the Home button & Power at once.

Best regards

Just long press power key long enough will trigger the hw reset.


Confirmed, this also triggers a hardware reset, even without screenshots and or volume changes :smiley:

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Should Fairphone have invested more time in quality control (see the amount of FP2-bugs)

I decided to put my problem here, although it’s also similar to Screen blurs and lines appear and to Fairphone 2 unusable while charging.

I’v used my FP2 for one week. At first, every thing went well with charging and the screen. After 5 days, my FP2 started flicker and after some seconds, the screen turned black and I couldn’t switch it on again. After a while, I could switch it on again and everything was ok again. This happened especially while charging.
Yesterday evening it was the same, so I thought I’ll switch it on this morning, but for this time, it didn’t work. If I charge the phone, there’s only the red LED which turns to green after a while, but nothing else happens. I tried several things:

  • I removed the battery and put it on again > no change
  • There is no difference between charging with a charger or with USB to PC or to MacBook.
  • Long press on power button > the phone vibrates, but nothing happens
  • Long press on power button and volume button at the same time > the phone vibrates and there’s a sound, but nothing happens
  • I removed the screen like it is described above, and after this, the phone worked again! But after 1 oder 2 hours, there was the flickering again (now without charging) and the phone turned off. And I can’t switch it on again.

Is there anything more I can do?

That indeed sounds like a mixture of many problems, but it’s save to say there’s something wrong with your phone. I’d contact support to get a replacement phone. (Unless of course they knew a fix for your issues.)

thank you so much for answering that quickly!
Yes, a lot of problems… I already contacted the support last saturday because the camera doesn’t work. Till know, I haven’t heard anything from them. But: also there, I tried a lot of things and nothing worked. So, probably a replacement is the only thing to do.

Well you’ll probably not hear back from them on a weekend, but I’ll summon @anon48893843 to make sure someone answers your support ticket.

Thank you for your support!

When I turned on my new fairphone for the first time, the screen turned on and showed the “fairphone-logo”, but nothing else. I tried two diefferent chargers wtih different ampere and one batterypack with no result. No reaction when I pushed the start-button. I was just about to dismantle the whole thing to remove the screen when I tried the soft reset that @detobi suggested. The phone vibrated a few times and when I released the buttons it started as it should! I have also succesfulle charged it with my 5V 0,8A charger. Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

I have had similar problems:

  • The phone has become dead once or twise even though it was charged. Had to take the battery out and in to restart…
  • There’s an issue with scrolling. Its like the srceen doesent understand where my finger is touching. Usually works better after putting it to sleep and starting again. The problem usually occurs when charging for some reason.

Is it this problem?

It’s reported to be worse while charging.

1 Like

This is exactly my issue and worse when charging. But it was worse in the beginning. Have been working better lately.

Trying the fix with the settings now.

Thank you!