FP2: Teardown & Reassemble Competition!

Actually I tried this with a prototype 2 somewhere begin December because we received questions about this from other customers. Works like a charm, although I don’t recommend it. All of a sudden your phone is not that safe against dust anymore…

:stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I actually meant the plastic edges right in front of the SIM card slots. That’s why I clarified that they are sharp.

Believe me, douwe, new FP2s are locked down like a bank safe. You need somewhere to put pressure on in order to open them… I’ll edit my post to say that readers should be careful.

1 Like

I can confirm this. For me it was really not at all possible without additional utilities.

I pushed and pulled, massaged and tried to loosen, but nothing got me any further. I then pushed a guitar pick (got the idea from here and here and to me it seemed more gentle than a knife) into the crack you mentioned and “rolled” it (worked better than sliding) along the sides of the phone (by rotating it parallel to the phone’s screen, i.e. in the plane of the phone) from top left to bottom left and from top right to bottom right edge. Needed a bit pressure and slow rotation to avoid the pick jumping out (several attempts).

Doing this once was enough to then disassemble the screen very easily by the “magic move” (as shown in the Webinar video by Miquel or as described in the iFixit tutorial). No need to widen the crack (I’d be a bit afraid to do so and would suggest to be careful if this is necessary).

Btw, after reassambling, the second, third etc. disassembling worked very easily. Just do the “magic move”. :wink:

6 Likes

For help disassembling the screen please continue here:

If anybody really wants to take part in the competition send me a PM and I’ll reopen the topic.

Hi @Hamm325,

for you this “technique” worked, but I strongly recommend others NOT to use a knife or other sharp objects to seperate the screen from the rest of the phone!
Sharp objects may damage the phone and I do not think that such damages are covered by any warrenty!

If the screen does not come off, check if you removed the battery and only use your hands to separate the screen. For other parts only use a screwdriver.

A good way I is to put the phone between both open hands and softly shift them in opposite ways (make sure that you opened the blue clips on the bottom of the phone and that you removed the battery before)

1 Like

Instead of a knife use a guitar pick!

4 Likes

Is anyone thinking of submitting an entry to the competition since we’ve probably been able to take the screens off by now?

This topic was automatically closed 4 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Here’s my attempt:

Sorry but made for people who have no idea of what Fairphone is so my narration might be quite boring for you old-timers :stuck_out_tongue:
What’s your best time? You don’t need to go to the effort of making a video about it, just post a time and I’ll believe you :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Finally! I used this technique, though with a plastic case instead of a knife blade, and in combination with the “wall” technique (pushing the screen against a SD card in front of a wall), I could finally open my Fairphone!

3 Likes

Congrats! Are you thinking of submitting to the competition?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.