FP2 reboots on mechanical pressure

Hi all,
I can confirm the reboot problem as well from my side. Jeans pocket pressure is one thing, a small drop (e.g. 10 cm down on the table) makes it also reboot. I also guessed it would be from the battery for a short timeframe losing contact. Annoying but not as annoying yet to take care about. But now it seems to me that it’s not only me having this issue.

2 Likes

Oh, I forgot that! Today in the morning, I dropped my FP2 while switching the alarm off from ~20 cm. It rebooted, that’s why I opened it immediately :wink:

… Except when the phone reboots in your pocket without You realising. Then You won’t be reachable until You enter your PIN.

Or if You quickly need to Check for train connections and it takes minutes to turn on the phone, especially when after The first reboot The screen does not respond and You have to reboot again :wink:

To the people that responded today: do you get the sudden battery drains that Husker and I are experiencing as well? Just to pinpoint whether we suffer from the same (hardware?) issue.

I don’t really mind the reboots as much as the unexpected battery drains.

retsifp, thanks for your input. Will check my bottom module as well tonight. I’m curious as to what will happen to your friend’s phone!

So, I don’t have the issue, but if putting pressure on the battery causes a contact problem, how about adding a sheet of paper or something underneath it to make it stay closer to the back cover?

OK, we swapped bottom modules, and it didn’t change anything! :sweat:
His bottom-module-PCB was bent similar to mine, so this obviously doesn’t matter.

I checked it before, and I thought this gap should be ok…

…but I gave it a shot with three layers of 80 g/m²-paper:

And that seemed to be it! :tada:
Reboots are gone so far, and some drop tests didn’t lead to reboots. :relaxed:

Thanks for the tips here! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

So in the last two weeks, I tried several ways to insert paper and none of them really worked. However, a few days ago, reboots ceased to happen and I had only two random reboots from then – no paper or anything inside, basically just the plain unchanged phone! I’m still worried that it will happen again so I contacted support. They will send me a replacement cover, hopefully that solves the problem. Thanks everyone for your input!

Did they explain why they believe a new cover will solve the issue? It doesn’t make sense to me unless the new (slim) covers somehow stabilize the battery.

3 Likes

That’s their answer

Thanks for your message, we’re sorry to hear that the back cover of your
Fairphone 2 has a factory fault. We are currently investigating why
this is happening in order to improve the production process of our back
covers.

We will be able to solve the problem you are experiencing by replacing your back cover.

It makes sense to me in a way as the problem did not appear before I had the deformation of the back cover around the volume buttons and maybe the cover is deformed in other ways, too.[quote=“paulakreuzer, post:21, topic:23010”]
It doesn’t make sense to me unless the new (slim) covers somehow stabilize the battery.
[/quote]
They are going to send me one of the standard covers so I won’t know if slim covers work any better.

unbelievable but true! It works 100% I have lived the last 48 hours without crash, so far it was so that I had at least three crashes a day! After I have tried the total of the paper. Nothing, no matter what I try the Fairphone 2 reboots not! Mega Why study when it is so easy! :wink: easy play easy win! If only it were always so! Now it is a really great product !!!

unglaublich aber wahr! es funktioniert 100% ich habe die letzten 48 Stunden ohne Absturz gelebt, bisher war es so das ich mindestens drei abstürzte am Tag hatte! nachdem ich das totale des Papiers ausprobiert habe. nichts, egal was ich versuche das Fairphone 2 rebootet nicht! mega! warum studieren wenn es so einfach ist! :wink: easy play easy win! wenn es nur immer so wäre! jetzt ist es ein richtig tolles Produkt!!!

Danke für den Tipp mit dem Papier!

2 Likes

:de: Hallo an Alle

Zu diesem Thema und dem “Papiertipp” habe ich vor kurzem mal was bemerkt. Und zwar habe ich mehrere Akkus davon einen den ich bisher noch nicht benutzt habe er ist also eigentlich noch fast wie er geliefert wurde. An diesem Akku fiel mir beim letzten mitnehmen auf das er sehr locker saß im vergleich zu anderen. Als ich die Akkus verglich sah ich das am lockeren Akku ein schwarzes Plastikteil fehlte! Dieses war abgefallen und befand sich in meiner Tasche. (wie gesagt der Akku wurde bisher nicht viel benutzt er ist eigentlich noch original) Hätte ich nur diesen einen Akku besessen wäre mir nicht aufgefallen das etwas fehlt. Das schwarze Teil kann man so man es noch findet wieder auf den Akku kleben - dann hält der akku wieder super sicher. Ich zeige euch jetzt mal in einem Bild wie dieses Teil aussieht:

Seite gegenüber Kontakte

Seite gegenüber Kontakte markiert

Seite der Kontakte

Sollte euer Akku nicht mit einem schwarzen Plastikteil (gegenüber der Kontakteseite) enden dann ist da was falsch. Auch wenn die Kontakteseite anders aussieht stimmt da was nicht und dann sitzt der Akku locker.

:gb: Hello @all

I read manytimes about this “Paper-Solution” and then i seen something waht can be the issue for this problem. I have more than one accu, one of them i usually never used befor so it is still like i became it. There i see a problem … some part was missing! It was a smal black piece on the other Side of the contakts. I found it in my pocket and i could repair it but if this were my only akku i wouldn´t seen any diference. After the missing part is back the accu fits much better. I show you this part in pictures:

the other side should look like this

the other sinde marked

the contact side looks like this

Maybe this could help to geht the Problem fixed. If the accu do not look like this pic please try to contact the support and get maybe a new accu.

4 Likes

Mine does exactly look as your picture, but I had the problem and fixed it with some layers of paper. :wink:

But it’s a nice finding! Maybe some more people do not have the black piece and reboots due to that.

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Slim Case - Reboots and Button-Issues

Having the slim cover for a few weeks now, I can confirm the “trouser pocket reboots” caused by pressure on or bending of the phone.
I will of course try the fix with paper.
On the other - hand in my opinion - that solution can not be considered a “standard”.

I guess some constructive matters should be taken into account.
Maybe something like a magnesium frame (like in cameras) integrated into the back cover for stability reasons, which of course would result in a bit more weight and a higher price tag.
Another idea might be a screw as near to the center of the back as possible. Opening and closing for changing the battery or other modules would take some more time and a tool and the mainfraim of the phone would need reconstruction, if possible at all. Most likely it would be more difficult to construct a screw or a kind of lever that could be released more easily (e.g. with a coin or the fingernail).

Just a few ideas that came to my mind, after my phone did reboot for the third time today (being offline in my trousers for a long time without me being aware of it). The battery-status is erronous as well. Dropped after the last reboot from 31 to 19 and then within 10 minutes to 1 percent, where it is at since more than 4.5 hours. :wink:
Freaky, but funny as well. :smiley:

1 Like

Did Fairphone service solve the problem somehow?

I haven’t contacted support on this issue, as I decided to be able to cope with a phone havving a life of it’s own… :wink:

The status reports for the battery are mostly back to normal since I did a kickstart.
The reboots happen ever once in a while. When they happen, than it’s regularly a few reboots in succession. But there are days without any reboots; I just check the phone more often now.

Got my FP2 in mid October. I noticed the first reboot maybe 1-2 weeks ago, since then it sometimes reboots when I put down on a table (not throwing it :wink: but not being extra careful either) or when it’s in the pocket of my jeans. Noticed some weird drops in the battery stats, too, but didn’t connect the dots until I read this thread.

I think the reboots didn’t happen with the original battery. I ordered 2 extra batteries and have been using one of those for a while now. Today I switched to the 2nd extra battery, let’s see if that changes anything…

edit: I just remembered that I experienced something weird a while ago - during loading via USB connected to my laptop, it actually didn’t load but somehow the battery got drained to a point where the indicator led was blinking red and the phone wouldn’t boot. After I got it running again, the battery stats stated that during the time of the drain the torch light was active (even though I didn’t notice that and I think I would have)?
I think that was before the first reboot happened, not sure if it’s connected though.

2 Likes

Very interesting, please report back your findings, many thanks in advance!

1 Like

This shows both the drops/peaks in the battery stats and the weird “Taschenlampe an” (torch light active) thing. (Sorry if the latter is OT).

1 Like

@matze74 have you tried the paper workaround (2nd post is marked as solution).