FP2 reboots and home screen issues

i am trying the fastboot, however, as my notifications are not working on the FP2 as a results of the general problem (lets call it a syndrome- sinta klaas syndrom I suggets the name ehm…) . I cant: “Make sure that your device is unlocked and ‘File Transfer’ or ‘MTP’ mode is selected.” IS THERE ANY WAY TO CHANGE IT FROM SETTINGS? otherwise how to back up the data before setting to factory settings?

Can you go to settings-connected devices-USB?

1 Like

i dont see "connected devices " option :confused: where is it supposed to be?

You’re quoting my post where I recommended twrpwoflashing
Where under this link did you find the above?
It’s rather rebooting into fastboot mode and then start TWRP without flashing it…

1 Like

in the settings the second option

1 Like

thank you for the quick response! i followed tyour link and then came here: ✏ How to use TWRP without flashing it (e.g. for Backup), then the fastboot is indicated. was that a wrong path to follow?

Yes, #dic:fastboot is correct. But you don’t have to enable anything through the settings. You reboot and while rebooting you press Vol-Down. Then you’ll reach fastboot mode.

2 Likes

I thought rebooting and while rebooting press Vol-Down is for safe mode. To reach fastboot mode, on my device, I need to press Vol-Down first, keep it pressed and then reboot.

1 Like

Well, maybe I was not clear enough. Yes, for #dic:safemode you press the Vol-Down later (when booting animation appears) and hold it longer and for #dic:fastboot you just press power and Vol-Down at the same time (while phone is still off) or in the order you’ve mentioned and just keep them pressed for a short time.
Anyway, everyone interested in the difference details may just follow the links. :wink:

2 Likes

All right, factory reset done.

@Otolio I couldn’t download any apps for backing up SMS data either, so thanks for pointing me to ‘Messages for web’: at least it made it possible to take screenshots.

I will be monitoring how my FP2 behaves over the next couple of days - let’s see if this radical move was worth the fuss and losses!

One thing I noticed and found odd (or interesting, depending on how you see it) is the way the Wi-Fi MAC address has changed: now it’s a string that’s very similar to the one my partner sees on his phone (not a Fairphone), whereas before the factory reset (when all the issues were present) it looked very different (namely, it was weirdly full of zeros). Not sure whether this means anything…

1 Like

Hi,
Since 2 or 3 weeks, my FP2 is quite difficult to use:

• middle and right bottom screen button have no more effect → only possible to press left one to have an action
  • unable to open system menu: only top menu available (pressing little “v” flashes, but nothing more)
  • HW Test: drawing screen is OK
  • HW Test: ear speeker OK, but read speeker out of ordrer
  • HW Test: primary microphone OK, but secondary out of order
  • reboot makes nothing better.

Any ideas?

1 Like

I guess it happened on December 6th?
See this discussion:

and a lot more in former times.

2 Likes

I have moved the two above posts to the big December-6th-cataclysm thread.

2 Likes

I have the exact same issue since 10 days and don’t understand why

Most likely because your system is not up to date and you are still using Android 7.

1 Like

Since 7th of december my phone has been working just fine, no reboots, except for the loss of notifications and the home/apps buttons. I was able to live with that just fine because the system and apps were all in order.

But tonight at around 3 AM my phone has started to reboot again every 3 minutes. The first time it happened is when I pressed the ‘go back’ button bottom left. Not sure if it’s related but since earlier yesterday my phone was showing a flashing blue notification light that I didn’t recognize nor could find the origin of. After another reboot, this afternoon one of my apps requested access to internal storage, which it hasn’t done before so I feel like it’s connected to the problem. Right now it’s not much of an issue for me over the weekend, and hopefully it stops rebooting again after 2 days like last time. But I can’t have this be a reoccurring problem so I’m going to look into a permanent fix as well.

I’m sure without a factory reset your system will remain unstable.

2 Likes

And - if not done yet - I’d also recommend an update to the current version. It seems the A7 version repeatedly shows these problems.

2 Likes

yeah, last time I tried to update earlier this year I got stuck in TWLP or something like that because I didn’t have enough storage. It gave me a lot of hassle and anxiety getting out. I’ve made a few halfassed attempts of backing up my data to PC since then but it never recognized my phone and my phone didn’t seem to be able to remove big files on its own. I guess that’s why I was fine with the status quo of my phone this month.

I have to dig into how to make backups of my internal storage to PC happen. What’s the best way to go about this all? First access the internal storage of my phone from my PC somehow, then factory reset, then clear storage, and then update?

Ok, understandable you’re hesitant now. On the other side I think a backup is always important - especially now that you’re having problems…

You can try to use MyPhoneExplorer app to transfer data (this could even transfer the data using WiFi connection).
Or you make sure you have a USB data cable to connect phone and PC. You might need an according driver on your PC. Then unlock the phone, search for the notification about USb connection and enable data transfer.
You might also use an SD card, configure it as “portable storage” on the phone. Copy data from internal memory to this card and insert it into your PC (if your PC has an SD card reader) to copy it to a safe place.
If you trust Google you can do a backup through Google drive. You may follow backup instructions on the Fairphone support pages.

Once you have the backup the reset/update process is as you’ve mentioned.
Copying data from internal memory will not do a backup of your apps. So additional backup steps for your important apps may be necessary, too.

2 Likes