FP2 random reboots - see #rebootsguide for help

Hello everyone. I did the update on 1.4.2. last friday morning. Since then i can practically not use my phone. It keeps switching off. Either only quickly when the blue fairphone background is showing or completely and it starts to install apps etc. agian. I am no telephone/ computer geek, so i am pretty lost. i cold curse friday morning when i did the update. do i just have to wait or what? please help me.

Exactley the same here!!!

My situation remains the same - a crash (where sometimes the screen remains black but lit slightly, and sometimes if the LED is active that continues, but the phone doesn’t respond to anything other than 10s+ pressing the power button) about 3-4 times a day, with on average one of those going into “android is starting” and then optimising all my apps (in which case my phone is out of action for at least 15m, and gets very hot, as this task seems to use a lot of battery).

About once a day, I get a different error, where the phone locks again instantly each time I swipe my unlock pattern. This usually repeats around 3-4 times, then the wallpaper (I use a static photo) goes away and is replaced by the fairphone blue default. I haven’t managed to unstick it from this relocking mode without a 10s+ power button press. I assume this is a different fault but mentioning here as it’s also new with 1.4.2 and a regular problem for me.

As an aside, I find that when I look at the battery status, if it’s done the weird crash, the status is strange, suggesting some sort of problem for an hour or more before the crash; in this case, twice today the battery status is blank for a period; the status reappears when I’ve rebooted after the crash. On the second occasion you can see I got the “apps optimising” thing and the battery has drained a lot. However, I can confirm that during the second ‘battery blackout’ period I was using my phone a few times, checking apps, and all was apparently fine until the crash.

I’m going to go look up how to downgrade to 1.3.6 now because this has only been an issue since 1.4.2. 1.4.2 has rendered my phone almost unusable as a primary phone, as at any moment it not just dies but remains dead for 15min+.

I`ll follow this topic since the support hasn’t answered my ticket yet and i had reboots right from the beginning.
I have reboots most of the time i use pgs+mobile internet+google maps in my car…
But sometimes its just while calling someone or just using apps.

my battery also have black out periods prior to crash. Crashes have increased the last few days.

Since the 1.4.2 update, i have very frequents reboots, about 3-4 times a day !

I got one random reboot which I didn’t notice (I only saw the PIN keyboard). At the same time, the Fairphone Updater was updated through the Play Store.

Did it work with the downgrade? How do you do that? I feel completely left alone - where is the support?

I got again a random reboot. But I cannot say if that reboot was due to misuse (reboot occured while taking the FP2 out of the pocket).

Looking through various posts, it seems that 1.4.2 came with a firmware update as well, and that is potentially the problem. I haven’t bothered to downgrade the OS to 1.3.6, as that wouldn’t address a firmware change. I’ve sent in a support ticket and awaiting a response.

1 Like

Random reboots all day long, and a message saying; “optimizing apps 1ofxx”. Black screen after picking up a call or making one, found out it’s the proximity sensor, but it all happend after the update to 1.4.2. I wrote to Support, but haven’t got any answer yet (wrote the 24th - last friday).
All the apps also crashes if the phone is not rebooting… and it’s emptying the battery in 10 hours, even without use.

I have tried to clean the screen from both sides for the proximity sensor, as FP instructions tell. Testing the sensor with the recommended sensors app - and the proximity sensors now says 5cm and when I move something in front, it says 0cm - as it should, but it cannot go back to 5cm, so it cannot register that nothing is in front anymore… :confused:

It’s worth a try:

I’ve cleared my cache twice - made no difference to frequency of crashes :frowning:

1 Like

Have a look here for the firmware:

I have the same issue (just 1 sim card in it, no other cards). I have never had the reboot problem with my previous phones (2 HTC’s and 2 Motorola’s), with very similar usage patterns & apps installed, and with the same sim card. So I’m quite sure it’s a FP-caused thing.

Fix it guys, reliability is key here ! Very happy to contribute by buying a FP, but if this problem continues, it’ll be my last FP.

Komaan jongens, volhouden !!! Jullie concept is te goed om verloren te laten gaan door dit soort bugs !!!

Kind regards,
Meindert

1 Like

First of all, the girls and guys you are talking to here are Fairphone users and not employees, so we will probably not fix this.
You should try the workarounds in the first post and if none of them work contact support (to get a replacement phone).

2 Likes

Hi,

The ‘fix it’ was not intended towards the FP users. I assume that the FP people are reading this too & it was directed at them, of course.

No trolling intended, Paul. I wrote an encouraging comment in Dutch (directed at the FP people) at the bottom of my post, that translates: “Come on guys, keep at it !!! Your concept is too good to wither away because of these kind of bugs !!!”

Thanks for the forum, kind regards,
Meindert.

The FP team reads posts occasionally, but only answers in rare occasions (specific sections/threads) in the forum.

Hi everyone,

I am experiencing re-boots mainly when using Google maps via Android Auto.

No of the above mentioned Solutions worked to solve this issue.

FP really needs to either solve this otherwise the phone is useless for me or at least communicate a plan how to fix it.

Regards,
Sebastian